Vice Presidential Election Amendment (Debating) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:10:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Vice Presidential Election Amendment (Debating) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Vice Presidential Election Amendment (Debating)  (Read 3237 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« on: August 07, 2015, 11:49:22 AM »

I've always thought it's going to be more interesting to elect the Vice President separately instead of "voting" for an attached name. Our elections are what this game is based on and should be more interesting.

Beside, I also think it's going only to be much more fair to actually elect a VP, who's after all the "spare president", instead of having a choice effectively made by the candidates for President. It's working very well in a number of countries, as well as our own regions.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 04:54:31 AM »

On a more serious note, I also think that this would lend itself to electing more active and engaged VPs. This amendment has my support.

I haven't thought of this but you're absolutely right. People would have to seek the office (and expectations would be higher) instead of posting "I'm running with..." in declaration thread and frequently nothing else.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 09:17:43 PM »

Friendly, ftr.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 06:21:12 PM »

There's been some talk about giving the VP more powers and if it should be a separately post, such proposals seems even more logical.

How about we include a provision to mandate that the VP must concurrently serve as head of the of cabinet departments?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 05:38:20 AM »

Double serving the AG as something else will invariable risk a conflict of interest at some point regardless of what post it is. I think we should look at it in terms of systemic risk, what could a VP do as VP that also being AG could allow for him to get away with that he would otherwise be charged for?

Good point. But that would leave only SoEA and SoIA as prospective jobs.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 04:53:47 AM »

Double serving the AG as something else will invariable risk a conflict of interest at some point regardless of what post it is. I think we should look at it in terms of systemic risk, what could a VP do as VP that also being AG could allow for him to get away with that he would otherwise be charged for?

A good point. The President could appoint a special prosecutor to charge the AG, but we would be demanding that the President pay close attention to affairs that may be tangential to what he does.

A potential idea for making the chief executive more powerful: eliminate the AG and vest the power to press charges and appoint counsel to defend the government in the President directly.

IIRC some regional governors have such powers. So it's either powers to press charges and appoint counsel (since I don't think the President should personally take part in trails), or appointing a permanent prosecutor/solicitor.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 01:36:43 PM »

I'm terribly sorry for a delay, it's been a crazy week.

I understand points made above, but I must repeat the major goal of the amendment. The very backbone of the game are elections and we've just seen the lowest turnout in memory of most of our active members. I believe every mean to make the elections more interesting should be used, especially at this very difficult time.

I also believe that, given the VP being first in the line of succession, it's only fair to let the people make a choice, instead of simply having a name attached to the presidential candidate. It works fine in many jurisdictions worldwide, as well as in many of our regions and the world is not falling apart because of this. The possible problems are highly overestimated.

And finally, such an idea has been proposed before but never did the people have a chance to make a decision. It's only fair to let the voters decide.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 06:52:16 AM »

Well, the ConCon is coming, so we may better wait for this instead of proceeding with individual amendments like this, which may be soon excluded from the new constitution anyway.

I don't agree with your assesments the Vice Presidency should remain as it is, but for the reason states above, as well as the fact we're getting nowhere, I've decided to withdraw myself as a sponsor.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies