How would you "solve"/"end" the Abortion issue?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:26:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  How would you "solve"/"end" the Abortion issue?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: How would you "solve"/"end" the Abortion issue?  (Read 4622 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2015, 02:27:22 PM »

It will never be solved and it will never end. One side or the other may capture the center of population's views, but there will always be some waiting in the shadows who disagree.

Policy-wise, I'm in the banning camp.
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2015, 02:27:51 PM »

Remove the political rights from the anti-choice crowd.

It might be the coming election season, but you've truly become a lot more blindly partisan and radical since joining.  Based on your signature, it seems your comically inflated view of your ideology will only continue this trend, LOL.

It's less that I've become blindly partisan and more that I realize that some people hold views that aren't worth respecting or considering, i.e. anti-choicers.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2015, 02:48:07 PM »

It might be the coming election season, but you've truly become a lot more blindly partisan and radical since joining.  Based on your signature, it seems your comically inflated view of your ideology will only continue this trend, LOL.

It's less that I've become blindly partisan and more that I realize that some people hold views that aren't worth respecting or considering, i.e. anti-choicers.

That's pathetic.  Have your opinion, fine; defend it, sure.  But if you can't even respect how someone can be pro-life and view that view as protecting a defenseless unborn child, then you're untraceable.

And that's coming from someone who's unapologetically pro-choice.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2015, 03:22:15 PM »

Do Democrats here really favor legalized abortion at 8 months?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2015, 03:40:46 PM »

Tedious hack is tedious
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2015, 03:41:41 PM »

Not all (or even most?), but there's a decent sized contingent that favours abortion so long as the baby's toe is still in the mother.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2015, 06:58:11 PM »

It might be the coming election season, but you've truly become a lot more blindly partisan

Pot, meet kettle.
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2015, 07:42:06 PM »

I'm decidedly pro-choice but I think that Democrats have gone overboard in making it a centerpiece of there campaign. It probably caused Udall to shed some Catholic votes that might have otherwise gone his way in the last election. I think that Clinton's "safe, legal and rare"" rhetoric was the best framework. I guess I'd solve it through benign neglect and just personally voting and/or protesting to keep abortion legal whenever it came up for debate.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2015, 08:37:50 PM »

It might be the coming election season, but you've truly become a lot more blindly partisan

Pot, meet kettle.

Oh, give me a break.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2015, 05:26:14 AM »

It will never be solved as no matter what is done, no matter how effective a policy may be there will always be those who have the opposite position. I think as technology advances it'll become possible for the unborn child to be viable sooner. There will therefore be less and less of a reason for anyone to support abortions, but there will still be those who do.

Anyway...

I would like to see abortion banned except for the life of the mother.
To help with this I'd like adoption to be made easier for all parties.
I think support for pregnant women should be increased as should support for poor families with children. Also safe sex education should be taught across the nation.
I think there should be a better system in place for unwanted children as well as orphans in general. The foster system needs to be significantly improved.

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2015, 11:36:54 AM »

I'm not a Democrat, but yes, I do trust women enough that I think they have the capacity to make that kind of decision, no matter what stage of her pregnancy she is currently in. Is a fetus arguably alive at that point? Sure. Does that change my position? No.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2015, 11:45:57 AM »

The easiest way to end the debate that I can think of would be to enact my position into law and then kill off all who object.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2015, 11:51:19 AM »

The easiest way to end the debate that I can think of would be to enact my position into law and then kill off all who object.

Or marginalize them to the point the point that they're regarded as a strange curiosity. Like American monarchists, for instance.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2015, 12:02:06 PM »

Or marginalize them to the point the point that they're regarded as a strange curiosity. Like American monarchists, for instance.

Or Trotskyites for that matter Tongue
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2015, 12:27:36 PM »

The secularization of American society should be sufficient. The vast majority of anti-choicers are rooted in religion. 
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2015, 05:39:39 PM »

It will never be solved and it will never end. One side or the other may capture the center of population's views, but there will always be some waiting in the shadows who disagree.

Policy-wise, I'm in the banning camp.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2015, 10:12:57 PM »

I'm concerned by all these people who think that banning abortion would end the issue entirely.

Aren't Conservatives delightfully stupid?

I am aware that, in the current political and cultural environment, banning abortion would not make it cease to be a political issue.

I would like to have abortion banned and have our culture change to become more socially conservative and, thus, more pro-life. These might be tough goals to accomplish, but I think they are goals worth pursuing regardless.

...You don't get it, do you?
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2015, 10:40:15 PM »

I'm concerned by all these people who think that banning abortion would end the issue entirely.

I am aware that, in the current political and cultural environment, banning abortion would not make it cease to be a political issue.

I would like to have abortion banned and have our culture change to become more socially conservative and, thus, more pro-life. These might be tough goals to accomplish, but I think they are goals worth pursuing regardless.

Is your objection to my proposal based on the belief that banning abortion would inevitably result in an explosion of illegal abortions? If so, that's just a myth. Poland banned abortion in most circumstances in the 1990s after it having been legal on request in the country prior to that. While illegal abortions do occur in the country, they are not nearly as numerous as legal abortions were prior to the enactment of the ban.

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/policy/abortion/polandlaw.html

Besides, we shouldn't make an evil act legal just because people still do it despite it being illegal. We shouldn't legalize rape, theft, and murder (of born people) just because people still commit such acts despite them being against the law.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2015, 11:33:33 PM »

Is your objection to my proposal based on the belief that banning abortion would inevitably result in an explosion of illegal abortions? If so, that's just a myth. Poland banned abortion in most circumstances in the 1990s after it having been legal on request in the country prior to that. While illegal abortions do occur in the country, they are not nearly as numerous as legal abortions were prior to the enactment of the ban.

Besides, we shouldn't make an evil act legal just because people still do it despite it being illegal. We shouldn't legalize rape, theft, and murder (of born people) just because people still commit such acts despite them being against the law.

All I was saying is that banning abortion won't actually stop abortions from happening, which is what you and others implied.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2015, 11:20:35 AM »

Or Trotskyites for that matter Tongue

Fair enough. Tongue
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2015, 10:39:06 PM »

All I was saying is that banning abortion won't actually stop abortions from happening, which is what you and others implied.

Isn't this the exact same argument liberals scoff at when it comes to gun control?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2015, 09:04:15 AM »

@rocky, it's all about being utilitarian. Banning abortion would decrease the total amount of abortions: just like banning prostitution, gambling, assault weapons and the use of recreational drugs would decrease people taking part of those activities.

One must measure up the positive attributes of sanctioning [behaviour that society deems "bad"], with any negative consequences likely to occur. If the net effect to society of keeping a negative behaviour unsanctioned is positive (like I believe in the case of abortion and recreational drug use) then it is best to leave the behaviour legalised (but suitably regulated) as a legitimate activity. It the net effect is negative (like (IMO) unrestricted gun ownership or legalised brothels) then the state has an interest in clamping down on the behaviour, even if they cannot clamp down on it fully.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2015, 12:58:51 PM »

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2015, 08:17:18 AM »

Isn't this the exact same argument liberals scoff at when it comes to gun control?

Yes, which is why liberals cannot be taken seriously
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2015, 08:54:12 AM »

Pass a constitutional amendment allowing Congress to regulate abortion, then ban abortion at all stages except to save the mother's life.  Increase federal funding for adoption services and contraception.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies