How would you "solve"/"end" the Abortion issue?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 10, 2024, 04:13:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  How would you "solve"/"end" the Abortion issue?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: How would you "solve"/"end" the Abortion issue?  (Read 4772 times)
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2015, 03:02:50 PM »

Personally I don't like the idea of abortion unless the mother's life is in danger or the mother got pregnant from a rape or incest, but I would keep it as it is now, maybe I would try to put more emphasis on adoption. I suppose that makes me pro-choice.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2015, 08:16:00 PM »

Personally I don't like the idea of abortion unless the mother's life is in danger or the mother got pregnant from a rape or incest, but I would keep it as it is now, maybe I would try to put more emphasis on adoption. I suppose that makes me pro-choice.

In many states that position makes you pro-life.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2015, 02:37:23 PM »

Constitutional ban on abortion.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2015, 08:56:12 PM »

I'm concerned by all these people who think that banning abortion would end the issue entirely.

Aren't Conservatives delightfully stupid?

I am aware that, in the current political and cultural environment, banning abortion would not make it cease to be a political issue.

I would like to have abortion banned and have our culture change to become more socially conservative and, thus, more pro-life. These might be tough goals to accomplish, but I think they are goals worth pursuing regardless.

...You don't get it, do you?

Is your objection to my proposal based on the belief that banning abortion would inevitably result in an explosion of illegal abortions? If so, that's just a myth. Poland banned abortion in most circumstances in the 1990s after it having been legal on request in the country prior to that. While illegal abortions do occur in the country, they are not nearly as numerous as legal abortions were prior to the enactment of the ban.

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/policy/abortion/polandlaw.html

Besides, we shouldn't make an evil act legal just because people still do it despite it being illegal. We shouldn't legalize rape, theft, and murder (of born people) just because people still commit such acts despite them being against the law.

All I was saying is that banning abortion won't actually stop abortions from happening, which is what you and others implied.

Isn't this the exact same argument liberals scoff at when it comes to gun control?

I don't think anyone thinks that banning guns will magically make guns go away, and if anyone does, I'll be the first to say that that's ridiculous.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2016, 07:45:45 PM »

Any more thoughts?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #55 on: March 25, 2016, 07:48:40 PM »

I'm concerned by all these people who think that banning abortion would end the issue entirely.

Aren't Conservatives delightfully stupid?

I am aware that, in the current political and cultural environment, banning abortion would not make it cease to be a political issue.

I would like to have abortion banned and have our culture change to become more socially conservative and, thus, more pro-life. These might be tough goals to accomplish, but I think they are goals worth pursuing regardless.

...You don't get it, do you?

Is your objection to my proposal based on the belief that banning abortion would inevitably result in an explosion of illegal abortions? If so, that's just a myth. Poland banned abortion in most circumstances in the 1990s after it having been legal on request in the country prior to that. While illegal abortions do occur in the country, they are not nearly as numerous as legal abortions were prior to the enactment of the ban.

http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/policy/abortion/polandlaw.html

Besides, we shouldn't make an evil act legal just because people still do it despite it being illegal. We shouldn't legalize rape, theft, and murder (of born people) just because people still commit such acts despite them being against the law.

All I was saying is that banning abortion won't actually stop abortions from happening, which is what you and others implied.

Isn't this the exact same argument liberals scoff at when it comes to gun control?

I don't think anyone thinks that banning guns will magically make guns go away, and if anyone does, I'll be the first to say that that's ridiculous.

Banning abortions and guns are equally stupid.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #56 on: March 25, 2016, 07:53:03 PM »

I still don't understand.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #57 on: March 25, 2016, 09:04:30 PM »
« Edited: March 25, 2016, 09:06:44 PM by Californian Tony Returns »

An issue "ends" when one of the sides that contend over it achieves cultural hegemony. For abortion in the US, that clealy won't happen anytime soon.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #58 on: March 25, 2016, 09:05:22 PM »

I don't know how I missed this thread before, but banning abortion in all circumstances is the most critical human rights issue of our time- and maybe ever.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #59 on: March 25, 2016, 09:18:44 PM »

We pass a law that prevents states from enacting these restrictions some of the sneaky Republican states are enacting.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2016, 09:49:51 PM »

Ban it except when mothers life is threatened.

Welfare condoms.
P123

Political Matrix
E: 3.64, S: 3.20

« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2016, 11:16:12 PM »

#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2016, 11:24:57 PM »

Keep the status quo, women being allowed to have one until week 22. Abortion being illegal has led to the deaths of many women, so re-illegalizing it is incredibly harmful and immoral
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #63 on: March 25, 2016, 11:26:12 PM »

For those recently saying they'd simply ban it... how would that end the controversy anymore than legalizing it did?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2016, 06:57:08 AM »

For those recently saying they'd simply ban it... how would that end the controversy anymore than legalizing it did?

Oh it's impossible to end the issue itself. There are too many dedicated supporters on each side for the issue to go away.
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2016, 11:31:07 AM »

The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2016, 11:48:05 AM »

Pass an amendment allowing a woman to choose an abortion at any time for any reason without exception.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2016, 03:13:53 PM »

Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2016, 03:35:59 PM »

This thread is such a waste of time.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2017, 12:34:23 AM »

Any new thoughts on this?

(and I'm kind of amazed the GOP Congress hasn't tried anything on this front yet)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2017, 12:47:07 AM »

Federal ban after 24 weeks with exceptions for rape, incest, and life/extreme health of the mother. States can ban it after 12 weeks with above exceptions, but only with the support of the state legislature(a majority in both), the Governor, and three-fifths referendum vote.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2017, 11:05:12 AM »

Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2017, 11:55:53 AM »

We're never going to have a solution if we don't think about what it could be.

If you don't want to, you don't have to read this thread or post in it.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2017, 01:50:37 PM »

Require all males ten or older to get a vasectomy; those who resist would obviously have to be neutered to reduce the odds of a rebellion (simply executing us would only create martyrs, and we can't have that).  If there are no more pregnancies, it stands to reason that there will be no more abortions.  Ultimately, this would lead to the extinction of our species, but I think we can all agree that's a small price to pay to protect the unborn!
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2017, 02:24:46 PM »
« Edited: June 05, 2017, 04:39:07 PM by Dwarven Dragon »

What I would want congress to pass is a ban with exceptions for life of the mother, rape, incest, and severe fetal abnormalities. However, if the OP is asking what it would take to end the abortion debate, it would probably take a "treaty" between pro-choicers and pro-lifers, enacting a near total 20 or 25 week ban while agreeing to never discuss the issue again, with serious legal consequences if it was discussed. But that would require both sides admitting that the NARAL ideal (Permitted nationwide until a doctor declares viability, and even then permitted if the woman's life or health is in jeopardy) and the GOP ideal (prohibited except for rape, incest, life of the mother) are unachievable, which doesn't seem likely to happen anytime soon. And even with such an agreement, there would always be a chance that a president, paired with sympathetic law enforcement, could allow the debate to reopen.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies