Opinion of "full service" gas stations
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:21:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of "full service" gas stations
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Huh
Worse than Hitler (normal)

Zomg jobs or something (Hitlerjugend member)

I am too busy with maps to drive and also 14 years old

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Opinion of "full service" gas stations  (Read 1637 times)
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 08, 2015, 09:35:14 PM »

Probably the best argument against living in New Jersey, which is saying something.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2015, 11:23:01 PM »

I don't understand why this is still a thing there.

What is the interest group keeping that law on the books? Gas station attendants? Is the gas station attendant lobby, with its unlimited money and influence, behind all this?
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 11:32:38 PM »

I don't have a problem with it (literally a Nazi)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 12:00:37 AM »

Brings me back to my childhood looking at maps. Pretty much all gas stations were full service when I was 14, so I guess 3 is my choice as a retro option.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 05:13:42 AM »

Brings me back to my childhood looking at maps. Pretty much all gas stations were full service when I was 14, so I guess 3 is my choice as a retro option.
When I was kid there an option at most places, big SELF and FULL signs.  I have memories of getting the FULL service a time or two and always thinking it was pretty cool.  Not as cool as a car wash of course.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 09:24:01 AM »

First half of option 3.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 09:29:17 AM »

That would be unthinkable here in Austria.

No Austrian gas station owner would hire a person just to fill up your car with gas or clean your windows. That's economically unsustainable. Besides, you don't need "helicopter/nanny gas stations": you can expect people to do basic stuff like this on their own.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 09:34:30 AM »

No Austrian gas station owner would hire a person just to fill up your car with gas or clean your windows. That's economically unsustainable. Besides, you don't need "helicopter/nanny gas stations": you can expect people to do basic stuff like this on their own.

So in other words Austria is in this aspect exactly like everywhere else in the world except New Jersey and Oregon.

A truly special and unique country.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 09:41:03 AM »

This. I don't think I've ever seen a "full service" gas station.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 09:50:22 AM »

Anyway Oregon is the state where this law most needs to be changed, not New Jersey.

The law effectively prohibits 24 hour pay at the pump stations, including completely unmanned stations that consist of only pumps and only take credit cards, which are pretty common in rural Minnesota. You can only get gas 24 hours at a 24 hour station. In NJ the law is silly, but the state is small and dense enough so that being stuck in an area with no gas stations open and too low on gas to ever get to one is unlikely since most urban gas stations are 24 hours anyway.

But Oregon has some vast rural areas, with probably not many gas stations, and I'd imagine that the few in rural areas probably can't afford to stay open 24 hours. So if you're stuck in rural Oregon and low on gas at 3AM, then you could easily be screwed. Oh and what if the only gas station in town closes on holidays?

If I was ever driving in rural Oregon, I'd be sure to bring an extra gas cannister with me.
pikachu
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 11:24:55 AM »

I don't understand why anyone would care.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 11:54:06 AM »

Anyway Oregon is the state where this law most needs to be changed, not New Jersey.

The law effectively prohibits 24 hour pay at the pump stations, including completely unmanned stations that consist of only pumps and only take credit cards, which are pretty common in rural Minnesota. You can only get gas 24 hours at a 24 hour station. In NJ the law is silly, but the state is small and dense enough so that being stuck in an area with no gas stations open and too low on gas to ever get to one is unlikely since most urban gas stations are 24 hours anyway.

But Oregon has some vast rural areas, with probably not many gas stations, and I'd imagine that the few in rural areas probably can't afford to stay open 24 hours. So if you're stuck in rural Oregon and low on gas at 3AM, then you could easily be screwed. Oh and what if the only gas station in town closes on holidays?

If I was ever driving in rural Oregon, I'd be sure to bring an extra gas cannister with me.

Having just driven through rural Oregon for a wedding, I agree completely.   Another concern in the rural West is that you have to be very careful about deciding not to stop at a gas station.  I remember one sign said "No gas for 97 miles" so it's not at all implausible that you'd run out of fuel mid-journey if not careful.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 12:29:14 PM »

I don't mind having an attendant pump my gas and wash my windshield, but it's always a culture shock entering other states and pumping your own gas. I've also had quite a few occasions were a slow attendant caused me to be late for an engagement. Regarding what BRTD said, I've never experienced not being able to find an open gas station at all. As long as one pays attention to signs that say "No gas in x miles," you should be fine. Gas stations in isolated areas are usually open 24 hours because of that.

As far as the law itself, however, I don't have a high opinion of it. These laws were originally passed because gas pumps were considered dangerous in the 1940's, which isn't a problem anymore due to improvements in technology. The law was never repealed here because of the employment provided by it. I'm not a fan of an unnecessarily high number of jobs being dependent on automobiles and oil/gas, but I'm not sure the mass layoffs that would ensue are worth repealing the law.
Asenath Waite
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2015, 01:01:50 PM »

I tend to like em
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2015, 01:55:33 PM »

I like them because pumping gas is below my station.  What am I, a common coachman?  Good heavens no!  It would be a scandal if I were to be see doing manual labor in public.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2015, 03:12:37 PM »

I like them because pumping gas is below my station.  What am I, a common coachman?  Good heavens no!  It would be a scandal if I were to be see doing manual labor in public.

You do realize that the cost of the attendant is passed on to you via higher prices, no?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2015, 03:46:45 PM »

We have two stations near where my parents live whose attendants still pump the gas for women who are by themselves as a courtesy, but are self service for everyone else.  The stations are owned by the same company and there is a full stock grocery store next door to one of the stations.  I think there may also be a third station in Little Axe, but that's 15-20 miles in the wrong direction for us or in a direction we never travel.
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 04:59:04 PM »

You do realize that the cost of the attendant is passed on to you via higher prices, no?

New Jersey has the cheapest gas in the Northeast, oddly enough.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2015, 05:26:50 PM »

I have nothing against them per se, but laws that prevent you from pumping your gas are a]obviously evil and fascist.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2015, 07:47:49 PM »

I guess they're not bad.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2015, 07:57:14 PM »

Why are these laws even in place?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2015, 09:08:17 PM »

It was very difficult to adjust to Pennsylvania without them

The task of talking to a stranger is only half as bad as performing such a masculine activity
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2015, 11:06:42 PM »

It was very difficult to adjust to Pennsylvania without them

The task of talking to a stranger is only half as bad as performing such a masculine activity

I love Atlas speak but damn, it would be horrifying if serious folks saw this.  Tongue
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2015, 04:08:09 AM »

The only times I've come across these is when I've visited Italy. In fact there's many deeply strange things I've only seen in Italy.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2015, 04:13:13 AM »

The only times I've come across these is when I've visited Italy. In fact there's many deeply strange things I've only seen in Italy.

From what I've seen, most gas stations in Italy have both options, with the full-service one obviously being more expensive (and heavily encouraged). But obviously the prices that are advertised are those for the self-service one.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies