The Social Liberals - Manifesto Launch!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:23:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  The Social Liberals - Manifesto Launch!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Social Liberals - Manifesto Launch!  (Read 1482 times)
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 08, 2015, 10:16:59 PM »
« edited: August 12, 2015, 10:28:19 PM by Barnes »

Welcome to the Campaign Headquarters for the Social Liberals!  We are a party that strives for equality, opportunity, and freedom.  Our vision for South America is one of a growing, mature nation asserting itself in the world as a beacon of human and environmental rights leading the way towards a better future - a future that belongs to you.

The Campaign HQ will serve as the place for our stellar team of candidates to make speeches as well as outline our party's manifesto for change.  

We encourage any questions to our candidates and look forward to an active conversation with the electorate during this campaign season.

Barnes
Party Chairman
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 08:56:34 AM »

Some basic ideas our party should probably support.

-Reducing trade barriers
-Preserving and protecting our ecosystems, including the Amazon Rainforest
-Support for small business
-Tax breaks for the middle and working class
-Support for indigenous communities and culture
-Investment in renewable energy
-Support for gay marriage and abortion rights
-Poverty support for those who need it
-Support universal health care but with availability of private options
-A reduced, more efficient military
-Pursuing human rights and peace abroad

To start off the discussion on our party platform.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

We also have this, courtesy of SJoyce outlining our broad vision for the welfare and economy.

In my view, our platform shouldn't get too nitty-gritty on details, but give the basic pitch on some of the issues I suggested in that opening post and especially the critical issues that the GM mentioned in his post earlier this week, such as a continental citizenship law and relations with Atlasia/the U.S.A.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 04:13:24 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 10:29:43 AM »

Statement on the Dissolution of the Provisional Parliament

The Social Liberals welcomes the dissolution of the Provisional Parliament and the oncoming general election for our new nation's first elected Parliament.

We will be fighting this election campaign on our party's core principles of economic and social fairness and freedom.  We will fight for a fair-go for all of our citizens in a nation that is vibrant, open, and progressive. 

We will fight for our great nation to lead a new and independent way on the world stage - showing ourselves to be a legitimate and independent power in the globe, free of any past arrangements of history.

We are fighting for the future - a future that belongs to you!

The party's candidates will be making statements and policy announcements from now until polling day.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 01:31:45 PM »

I would like to ask for the Social Liberals to consider a second preference of the Whig Party......I share your views on international leadership and believe we must take center stage in advocating for a better human rights situation and environmental protection. If you have questions on other issues- pleas e see the Whig Party page to not distract from your party business,
Thank you for your time
clarence
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 01:47:03 PM »

I would like to ask for the Social Liberals to consider a second preference of the Whig Party......I share your views on international leadership and believe we must take center stage in advocating for a better human rights situation and environmental protection. If you have questions on other issues- pleas e see the Whig Party page to not distract from your party business,
Thank you for your time
clarence

Thank you for your interest, Clarence, however the method that we're using in the election is Party-list PR and so voters will only be able to cast a ballot for one party.  The Social Liberals, do however, look forward to a broad discussion with the various parties during the campaign and following the election.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 05:37:25 PM »

Election Campaign Message

With the election that will determine the future of South America less than two days away, it is my duty as the Leader of the Social Liberals to make my pitch for unaffiliated, undecided, or independent voters to cast a ballot for us this weekend.

Before our platform is released tonight, let me reiterate what we stand for.

We want a tolerant, open society above anything else. We will support the legalization of same-sex marriage and legal, safe abortions. Indigenous and other minority communities will be given the due they deserve as key components of a multicultural, diverse South America.

We will establish a stable and flexible framework for the government. We will create a permanent, elected head of state and determine the role and functions of local government. To ease integration, we will pass a universal citizenship law as soon as possible. In line with core principles, we will pursue a liberal immigration policy, as we believe that immigrants form much of the backbone that makes South America truly great.

We want to create a sustainable society that will last for generations to come. In line with that, we will work to conserve and restore as many of South America's native ecosystems, flora, and fauna as possible. Accelerating growth in and usage of renewable energy sources such as wind shall also be among our goals.

We want to balance the free market with a role for government in uplifting the weakest among us. We will introduce universal healthcare, but make sure that private options are available for those who desire them. A strong social safety net will always exist as long as we are in government for those who need it. We are not opposed to the nationalization of certain industries for the public good, but feel that this should only be an option when no better alternatives are available.

We are committed to free trade wherever possible, and open commerce between nations other than our own. For economic development, we will pursue support for small businesses and entrepreneurship across the continent, making it easier to thrive in today's competitive world. We will support a reasonable progressive taxation system, with reduced rates for the working and middle class. We will fight for and protect basic workplace rights.

We want to re-establish diplomatic relations with our northern neighbor, the former United States of America, provided that they are willing to work in good faith with us and make proper reforms to their own country to survive. We want a smaller, more efficient military and to avoid unnecessary violent conflict. Our foreign policy shall advantage countries devoted to our core tenets of human rights and justice, and work to implement them in those that are not.

I firmly believe that we are the party best suited to representing South Americans of all stripes and colors; the Social Liberals have the most realistic, mature plan to develop our newly united continent into a global superpower, with fairness, equality, and opportunity at home. Our party compromises a broad tent of individuals, ranging from classical liberals to social democrats, yet we all share a commitment to pragmatism in government and a great love for this country.

We humbly ask for your support this weekend to combat the challenges ahead. Thank you.

X Talleyrand
Parliamentary Leader
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 10:27:49 PM »
« Edited: August 12, 2015, 11:07:11 PM by Barnes »

Party Manifesto

Introduction
The Social Liberals have been a leading force in South America since our nation forged a new future for itself as a single, united entity.  From the early days of the Provisional Parliament, we kept momentum going and brokered many compromises between opposing camps.  The successes that we have achieved in such a short time should not be overlooked, but we have only just begun.

Our policy program as laid out in this manifesto is our bargain with the South American people.  We have the ability to deliver true change; we only require the mandate of the people.  Together, we can forge a new nation that will lead in its own right in the global community and provide for its people at home.  Together, we can win the future.

We ask for your endorsement of this program for the future on polling day.

Barnes
Party Chairman

A society that works for all
The founding principle of the Social Liberals is that society is based in the community.  We fundamentally believe that our nation can only prosper if we share a common sense of purpose, unity, and identity in every street corner.  
  • We will tackle poverty in inner-cities and outlying areas with all resources available to us.  We must look beyond this issue as simply a project of charity, but instead one where the ultimate goal is the fundamental transformation of these areas into thriving centers of productivity.  We do not presume to think that we somehow know what is best for those living in poverty; instead we will consult widely and directly with citizens living in these areas to canvass their experiences, views, and beliefs on both the problem and its remedies.
  • We will standardize the system of education into a national program to ensure that every child no matter where they are born can be given an equal chance.  We understand that communities work best on the local level, and will seek to partner with existing school authorities on a basis of mutually respect.
  • Indigenous and minority rights are one of the founding core principles of the Social Liberals.  Our party policy commits us to invest in Indigenous communities and to collaborate with Indigenous leaders to understand their concerns and possibly solutions.  We are committed to preserving Indigenous languages and to ensure that a citizen of this country can feel that they are a fully accepted member of society wherever they choose to live on this great continent.
  • We make similar commitments to peoples of other linguistic minorities in that they have the right to access government services in the language most familiar to them, and that children have a right to be educated in the language that their families speak at home.
  • We will introduce a universal health care system that will work for the benefit of the poorest and most disadvantaged in our nation.  This scheme will co-exist with private health insurers which will operate in a marketplace bound by fairness and a commitment to serve the needs and well-being of the community.
  • We will introduce a comprehensive public welfare system that is equitable across the nation.  We act to protect the most disadvantaged of our citizens while ensuring that they retain control over their lives and destinies rather than having the state plan for them.
  • We will introduce a comprehensive social safety-net for the poor, sick, and disabled members of our society.  We will aggressively expand opportunities of employment for persons with disabilities and equip the public service to handle their needs in a fair way.
  • We support the legalization of same-sex marriage as well as comprehensive legislation tackle LGBTI discrimination.
  • We support the legalization of abortion.

An new economy for a new future
The management and direction of the economy is the most pressing issue that the incoming government will face; there are issues that must be addressed immediately and boldly.  
  • We will established a fixed exchange rate mechanism between the relevant currencies of our former nations to ensure currency stability as we move towards the introduction of a single national currency.
  • We will inquire about the current rates of inflation and tale immediate efforts to reduce and control inflation rates.
  • We will begin the process of economic unification between the distinct economies of our former nations.  We acknowledge that this will be a complex and long process; therefore, we plan to publish a timetable of action to give assurance to markets and consumers.
  • We will always respect and support the rights of labor and of trade unions.  Equally, we believe that employers have rights as well as responsibilities to their employees and customers.  We seek to develop a conciliatory approach to industrial arbitration.
  • We do not blindly support nationalization of industries for the sake of nationalization alone; nor do we support a corporate monopoly in command of our nation's economies.  We seek a middle ground where the state will intervene and assume control of industries on a case-by-case basis where necessary if is has been established that it is in the public interest.  We additionally wish to expand markets and opportunities for smaller, independent businesses who may be constrained by a corporate monopoly.
  • We support free trade in principle as it liberalizes markets and expands access to global products.  However, every free trade agreement will always be reviewed on its specific merits and benefits to our economy and labor force.  We look earnestly ahead to continued negotiations of the Trans Pacific Partnership as we know that the only way to achieve a meaningful deal is through leadership and negotiations and not by simply burying our heads in the sand.

Leadership in a changing world
South America is a growing economic power on the world stage and our leadership among our peers is crucial to the viability of our new nation.  We are a party committed to peaceful resolution of conflicts through diplomatic means while advancing our goal of universal human rights.
  • We will re-establish diplomatic relations with the former United States on a basis of equal partnership and mutual respect.  We will not allow ourselves to be treated as a junior partner in our own region.
  • We will continue to expand upon the economic co-operations formerly known as BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa).
  • We will use our economic and diplomatic leverage - soft diplomacy - to pressure global partners with noted human rights violations to step up and take responsibility for making a better world.
  • We will streamline our military to be more efficient and effective and to ensure that it can adequately defend our nation.  We believe in a military that reports to and serves the people, and not a people subservient to the military.
  • We will assist developing countries in their economic expansion, and, in particular, pursue a renewed partnership with Africa.
  • We will make climate change a central tenant of our foreign policy and challenge the world community to adopt meaningful and effective carbon reduction targets at the Paris Conference at the end of this year.
  • We will introduce stringent environmental protection for our incredibly natural heritage and ensure the protection of our wildlife and ecosystems from exploitation by hunters or developers.
  • We will broaden our immigration policies to make our nation a place of hope and opportunity to the millions of people displaced around the world due to conflict.

Renewing our democratic institutions
The Social Liberals fundamentally believe in the power of democracy and will act to expand and strengthen our democratic institutions.
  • We will immediately introduce legislation to establish a permanent head of state elected by the people.
  • We will immediately introduce legislation creating a uniform citizenship for all citizens of South America.
  • We will establish a formalized system of consultation with Indigenous peoples and their leaders to ensure that the viewpoint of this continent's first peoples will always be taken into account in a fair and equal way.
  • We will continue and expand the work of truth commissions into the actions of the dictatorial regimes of South America in past decades.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 03:34:01 PM »

It is evident that the other main parties are consumed with their own in-fighting the day before the election. There are even rumors of candidates being elected on one party list by the people and then immediately defecting to another party.

The Social Liberals will never allow for this subversion of the people's mandate. Our team is dedicated to governance and not internal party squables. A vote for the Social Liberals is a vote for progress, freedom, and good government.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 03:35:29 PM »

Although I am, of course, a Conservative, I respect the Social Liberals for their avoidance of fanatical ideological nonsense and petty infighting. Best of luck tomorrow.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 07:10:32 PM »

Although I am, of course, a Conservative, I respect the Social Liberals for their avoidance of fanatical ideological nonsense and petty infighting. Best of luck tomorrow.

I believe I can speak for the party as a whole and say that we respect the Conservatives as well. I certainly wish the best of luck to you in a few hours and till the polls close.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 09:26:37 PM »

I believe I can speak for the party as a whole and say that we respect the Conservatives as well. I certainly wish the best of luck to you in a few hours and till the polls close.

Thanks. I likewise think I can speak for the party when I say the chaos of our opponents speaks volumes.
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 09:35:34 PM »

Thanks. I likewise think I can speak for the party when I say the chaos of our opponents speaks volumes.

Indeed. It's hard to lead a country when a group can't lead their own party.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 03:27:00 AM »

This is such a good manifesto, and I'd like to thank Barners and Talleyrand for publishing such a clear, focused and powerful message. We're the only party that is running with a broad tent of support, and more importantly we're the party that has shown we can govern.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 11:48:33 AM »

With turnout at 48%, the Social Liberals are currently in a dead heat with the Conservatives for the largest party in Parliament!
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2015, 12:13:24 PM »

In the words of David Steel go back to your constituencies and prepare for government   
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2015, 09:16:18 PM »

Statement on the election results

I can speak for both myself and the entire party leadership in saying how incredibly proud we are of the entire Social Liberals team for the incredible showing that we have managed in this election!

With nearly every vote cast, it is clear that our party will play a decisive factor in deciding who forms the next government.

At this very early stage, I can only say that we take this responsibility with the utmost seriousness and sense of duty.

Thanks are due to every party member and every voter who supported us on our quest to make this great country into a progressive force for the future.

Barnes
Party Chairman
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 10:40:21 AM »

Election Campaign Message

The elections results are in, and we have turned in a fantastic performance. Despite being the smallest of three major parties, we came within just one vote of winning a remarkable sixth seat! I thank all newly elected Social Liberal MPs, party members, and supporters for their part in this incredible feat, and promise that we will build on it in the future.

We have spoken to the other parties about the future of South America, and the sort of government we want to lead South America in its first days. I am pleased to state that we are confident that the Social Liberals shall be a key part in the development of our new nation, and that the exact part we will play will be announced in the coming days. Stay tuned for updates.

Thank you all once again!

X Talleyrand
Parliamentary Leader
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies