Why does Black Lives Matter go after lefty Democrats? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 03:43:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why does Black Lives Matter go after lefty Democrats? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why does Black Lives Matter go after lefty Democrats?  (Read 7028 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« on: August 10, 2015, 05:00:51 AM »

I think Pyrofox's post in the (admittedly low-quality) thread about this in the 2016 forum is pretty spot on.

Condemning incidences of police brutality (which Sanders has done, and has a better record than most candidates on) does not make a concrete policy proposal to solve the issue, nor does talking about past support for civil rights.  

I think this is the most important issue here and is the key to understanding why this portion of BLM chose to take the stage. It's not because he's white and they're against white people, it's because Sanders is likely the only candidate who would be willing to listen and put together a real plan to address the issues which made BLM happen. He needs to take this seriously and treat it the same as he has economic issues.

However, looking at the broader picture, is interrupting a rally the best way to make the candidates talk about the issues pertaining to black lives, or is it deterring people away? If this type of action does lead to real change and prompts Sanders to push social issues more in his campaign, then I'm all for it, but the consensus seems to be that it's hindering them more then helping.

Bolded for emphasis. BLM protesters are likely to show up at events of candidates who might not only be sympathetic to their cause, but willing to raise issues important to them during the Democratic primary.. It would be more foolish to attempt protests at the events of Republican candidates. The conservative supporters in the crowd would only be pushed further to the right. Furthermore, any GOP candidate would instantly gain a mudslinging opportunity and plenty of attention should any confrontation go viral.

Sanders is one of the few candidates, even in the Democratic primary, who might be able to raise some of the BLM issues into the political conversation. But as mentioned in this quoted post, the tactic may just turn off many otherwise progressive supporters of Sanders, etc to their cause.

I'm lost. How would verbal heckling make a candidate more disposed to support a political position being espoused by the hecklers?

The point made elsewhere about the antisemitic undercurrent running through certain segments of black activism may have something to do with it.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 12:11:26 PM »

I'm lost, Ingemann. Obama's not Somali, and I don't think he was "conned" into wearing that.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies