Opinion of this image from Tumblr
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:16:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of this image from Tumblr
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: http://i.imgur.com/wRkCbIh.jpg
Freedom Image

Horrible Image

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 65

Author Topic: Opinion of this image from Tumblr  (Read 1496 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2015, 08:44:38 AM »

I've never had sex with someone and then thought "gee, I wonder what this persons genetic code is?" I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth...
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2015, 08:53:08 AM »

I've never had sex with someone and then thought "gee, I wonder what this persons genetic code is?" I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth...
But if you'd known before that someone's "genetic code" is that he was born a boy, then I don't think you'd be "transphobic" if you wouldn't want to sleep with them anymore, even though there would probably be tons of people who think you would.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2015, 10:28:30 AM »

Well, it is an odd reaction. For exampl, I am not attracted to fat people at all; but I wouldn't turn down sex because a skinny person used to be a fat person. That would of course be bonkers; and there is very little difference between that scenario and a woman who used to be a man (or vice versa).
I disagree. Trans people still have the same chromosomes as "assigned" by birth. By contrast, people who used to be fat weren't "assigned" that way (even though they might have a predisposition to obesity).

There are probably people who would even consider this comment "transphobic", but I think people who don't want to neglect this biological reality when seeking a partner aren't necessarily "transphobic".

I think your comment isn't necessarily transphobic but, what are you exactly talking about? Is it seeking a steady partner and having children, or just having sex? "Biological reality" and chromosomes are insurmountable obstacles to procreate, but there's always the option of adopting children. As for having sexual relationships, what's the issue with genetic code? That said, I think that everybody is free to choose partner (wether for a casual or a steady relationship).

But if you'd known before that someone's "genetic code" is that he was born a boy, then I don't think you'd be "transphobic" if you wouldn't want to sleep with them anymore, even though there would probably be tons of people who think you would.

In my opinion, it's advisable for a "trans" person to tell the possible partner before going to bed. Let's face it, one way or another everybody has some prejudice on transgender people. Most of the time it's only ignorance or lack of information. It happens that some people is able to overcome prejudice and other is not. As for the issue of sexual relationships, they must be acts between consenting and informed adults. As simple as that. "Transphobia" denotes hatred towards transgender people. The very act of rejecting a sexual relationship with a trans person is not transphobic per se. I guess it would depend on how such rejection is expressed, or the motivation behind. 
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2015, 10:35:30 AM »
« Edited: August 12, 2015, 10:38:27 AM by Simfan34 »

So "transwomen" have the right to rape men? O...kay...

Everybody has the right to refuse sex for any reason.

That said it is probably transphobic to refuse sex with a post-up transgender person IMO.

So what?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2015, 11:07:24 AM »

Maybe "transphobic" is too loaded term (like that other favourite word "bigoted). Perhaps illogical is better? I still don't really see much difference between a skinny person who used to be a fatty and a man who used to be a woman (or vice versa).
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2015, 11:21:55 AM »

Well, it is an odd reaction. For exampl, I am not attracted to fat people at all; but I wouldn't turn down sex because a skinny person used to be a fat person. That would of course be bonkers; and there is very little difference between that scenario and a woman who used to be a man (or vice versa).
I disagree. Trans people still have the same chromosomes as "assigned" by birth. By contrast, people who used to be fat weren't "assigned" that way (even though they might have a predisposition to obesity).

There are probably people who would even consider this comment "transphobic", but I think people who don't want to neglect this biological reality when seeking a partner aren't necessarily "transphobic".

I think your comment isn't necessarily transphobic but, what are you exactly talking about? Is it seeking a steady partner and having children, or just having sex? "Biological reality" and chromosomes are insurmountable obstacles to procreate, but there's always the option of adopting children. As for having sexual relationships, what's the issue with genetic code? That said, I think that everybody is free to choose partner (wether for a casual or a steady relationship).

In my opinion, it's advisable for a "trans" person to tell the possible partner before going to bed. Let's face it, one way or another everybody has some prejudice on transgender people. Most of the time it's only ignorance or lack of information. It happens that some people is able to overcome prejudice and other is not. As for the issue of sexual relationships, they must be acts between consenting and informed adults. As simple as that. "Transphobia" denotes hatred towards transgender people. The very act of rejecting a sexual relationship with a trans person is not transphobic per se. I guess it would depend on how such rejection is expressed, or the motivation behind. 

Maybe "transphobic" is too loaded term (like that other favourite word "bigoted). Perhaps illogical is better? I still don't really see much difference between a skinny person who used to be a fatty and a man who used to be a woman (or vice versa).

Your replies makes sense to me. I was talking about casual sex, not about a relationship - even then, I think people can legitimately have strange feelings about having sex with someone who was born "as another gender" - even though these feelings might seem/be irrational - without necessarily being "transphobic", as you seem to agree on. And obviously, expressing one's rejection of a potential partner in a nasty way is wrong.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2015, 12:16:23 PM »

Your replies makes sense to me. I was talking about casual sex, not about a relationship - even then, I think people can legitimately have strange feelings about having sex with someone who was born "as another gender" - even though these feelings might seem/be irrational - without necessarily being "transphobic", as you seem to agree on. And obviously, expressing one's rejection of a potential partner in a nasty way is wrong.

Maybe, but the reason of such "strange feelings" is prejudice and not chromosomes. My point was that prejudice and hatred are different things, although the latter cannot exist without the first. In case there's only prejudice, that is not necessarily transphobia (IMO).
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2015, 08:45:37 PM »

So "transwomen" have the right to rape men? O...kay...

Everybody has the right to refuse sex for any reason.

That said it is probably transphobic to refuse sex with a post-up transgender person IMO.

So what?

Those quotation marks....

Anyway, horrible image.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2015, 12:19:51 AM »

People aren't obligated to have sex for any reason (normal).
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2015, 12:26:56 AM »

I don't really understand the point.  So the dude doesn't want to have sex with the girl he brought home that he just found out wasn't born a girl.....and?  They want to force him to have sex?  They want the transgendered to rape bigots into compliance?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2015, 10:27:32 AM »

It's no less logical than other criteria for sexual attractiveness.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2015, 10:45:32 AM »
« Edited: August 13, 2015, 11:39:04 AM by mvd10 »

Everyone has the right to refuse sex for any reason, just like someone else said earlier. I don't know if I would have sex with a trans person if I knew it was a trans person. Probably not since it would feel awkward because I would keep thinking that that person once was a male. I really don't have any problems with trans people so don't get me wrong, trans people have the right to decide about their bodies and change their gender just like I have the right to decide about my body and refuse to have sex for any reason I want. This image is just hypocritical. But it probably was just poorly worded.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2015, 03:26:18 PM »

Tumblr: Where not having sex with somebody can probably be spun in to a form of rape.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies