MA: Abortion Liberalization Act (Passed over veto)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:02:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: Abortion Liberalization Act (Passed over veto)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: MA: Abortion Liberalization Act (Passed over veto)  (Read 2502 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2015, 02:22:00 PM »
« edited: August 20, 2015, 07:59:57 PM by Speaker Harry S Truman »

Speaker Truman is so useless and void of any fresh ideas that he is only concerned about reopening an issue that had already been settled in the Mideast long before he even joined the region. And taking away the existing rights of migrants. But then again his namesake was racist so we expect nothing better from such a creature.

If you had bothered to check the facts before posting this ludicrous statement, you would know that the Assembly passed an expansion of the rights held by illegal immigrants several months ago as part of an bill that I wrote, and that these rights are therefore unaffected by this bill. That you didn't realize this isn't surprising, considering your demonstrated patchy knowledge of American History.

As for your first statement, there are many issues that have been "settled" and then revisited by democratic bodies, including slavery, women's suffrage, and civil rights. It is touching, however, that you are so dedicated to restricting a woman's right to choose under the guise of empathy for illegal immigrants. Your opposition to my candidacy in spite of the will of your party's voters makes so much sense now!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2015, 09:32:32 PM »

Nay on the amendment.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2015, 06:16:56 PM »

I propose the following amendment:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2015, 08:00:34 PM »

Representatives have 24 hours to object to Truman's Amendment.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2015, 08:04:02 AM »

I object. I'm wondering why the Speaker wants to remove parental notification when a minor child is having an abortion? I'm not sure that is a wise idea.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2015, 05:57:38 PM »

As JCL's objection came one hour and 48 minutes after the introduction of the amendment, Truman's amendment has been adopted.

I object. I'm wondering why the Speaker wants to remove parental notification when a minor child is having an abortion? I'm not sure that is a wise idea.
In my opinion, the decision to have a child belongs solely to the prospective mother, not to her parents.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2015, 02:45:32 PM »

As debate has stalled, I motion for a final vote on this bill. Representatives have 24 hours to object.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2015, 02:48:14 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
So I guess you should open a vote on JCL's amendment.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2015, 02:54:02 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
So I guess you should open a vote on JCL's amendment.
D**n.

A vote is now open on Truman's amendment to strike Section 4. Please vote AYE, NAY, or Abstain. Voting will last 72 hours or until a majority has been reached.

(Hurry up and vote on this one, guys: I'd like to see this passed before I move to Nyman).
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2015, 03:01:51 PM »

AYE!
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2015, 03:50:31 PM »

Just to be clear, you're doing a good job as speaker!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2015, 11:18:01 AM »

Aye
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2015, 01:32:37 PM »

Aye
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2015, 01:50:15 PM »

With a majority having voted in favor, the amendment passes.

I motion for a final vote (again). Representatives have 24 hours to object.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2015, 02:02:47 PM »

Motion to restore section four. The parents have guardianship over the child thus they have final authority.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2015, 02:18:23 PM »

Motion to restore section four. The parents have guardianship over the child thus they have final authority.

Under my authority as Speaker, I find this amendment to be frivolous and will not bring it to the floor. As a majority of the Assembly has already voted to strike Section 4, another vote on the matter is pointless and only wastes the time of this chamber and the people of the Mideast.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2015, 03:06:27 AM »

Under my authority as Speaker, I find this amendment to be frivolous and will not bring it to the floor. As a majority of the Assembly has already voted to strike Section 4, another vote on the matter is pointless and only wastes the time of this chamber and the people of the Mideast.

This amendment is not frivolous. The merits were not discussed intellectually on either side. Simply put, parents have certain rights over a minor child and this assembly should preserve, rather than undermine, those parental rights. Also, what about the perspective father in the situation? He should be able to advocate for the life of the child in the womb. This issue is not a waste of time and the people want an intelligent discussion on the issue. So again, I restate my motion to restore section 4.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2015, 10:17:57 AM »

BUT MAH MEN'S RIGHTS

We get it, you're pro life. This bill is not about implementing the beliefs of the pro-life movement. Quite the opposite.

What does the pro choice movement believe? That a woman has the choice of what to do with her body, which includes the fetus inside her.

That means:
A) If a woman is old enough to be pregnant, she is old enough to have the choice of what do with the fetus inside her. Even if she is a minor. (18 is an arbitrary age anyways; for issues like this, biology is much less arbitrary)
B) Since this doesn't effect the father's body in any way, what he thinks is moot.

I also believe this means that a woman has the right to have an abortion beyond the 20th week, but this belief does not have the majority support in this assembly.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2015, 10:31:01 AM »

This amendment is not frivolous. The merits were not discussed intellectually on either side. Simply put, parents have certain rights over a minor child and this assembly should preserve, rather than undermine, those parental rights. Also, what about the perspective father in the situation? He should be able to advocate for the life of the child in the womb. This issue is not a waste of time and the people want an intelligent discussion on the issue. So again, I restate my motion to restore section 4.

Overruled. This motion is contrary to the Mideast Assembly Rules, as one cannot amend the text of a bill without submitting a formal amendment; furthermore, the matter in question has already been decided by a majority vote of this chamber. Calling repeated votes on the same amendment is a frivolous use of the Assembly's time and will not be permitted so long as I hold the speakership.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2015, 09:30:07 PM »
« Edited: August 26, 2015, 09:31:39 PM by Speaker and Senator-elect Harry S Truman »

Seeing no objection, I am calling a final vote on this bill. Please vote AYE, NAY, or Abstain. Voting will last 72 hours or until all Representatives have voted.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2015, 09:40:21 PM »

Abstain
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2015, 11:29:24 PM »

AYE!
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2015, 11:38:41 AM »

Aye
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2015, 12:34:12 PM »

With 2 Ayes, one abstention, and two members not voting, this bill has passed the Assembly.

(Technically, Vivaportugalhabs voted after the 72 hours were up, but I decided to include his vote anyways as I had not formally closed the vote and it does not affect the outcome.)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2015, 03:35:59 PM »

BUT MAH MEN'S RIGHTS

We get it, you're pro life. This bill is not about implementing the beliefs of the pro-life movement. Quite the opposite.

What does the pro choice movement believe? That a woman has the choice of what to do with her body, which includes the fetus inside her.

That means:
A) If a woman is old enough to be pregnant, she is old enough to have the choice of what do with the fetus inside her. Even if she is a minor. (18 is an arbitrary age anyways; for issues like this, biology is much less arbitrary)
B) Since this doesn't effect the father's body in any way, what he thinks is moot.

I also believe this means that a woman has the right to have an abortion beyond the 20th week, but this belief does not have the majority support in this assembly.

The people want Pro-Life legislation and this undermines that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies