Southern Jewish vote (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:53:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Southern Jewish vote (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Southern Jewish vote  (Read 1872 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: August 19, 2015, 05:49:23 AM »

There are Jewish people in the south? I mean outside of Florida?

There used to be small Jewish communities all over the South, down even to small cities in Mississippi. Most of them have dissipated with economic changes. Here's a documentary from 2003 I saw on this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0365746/

Nowadays I'd guess that most Jews in the non-Florida South are youngish transplants from the north to places like Atlanta, Raleigh-Durham, and Dallas.

My parents had a black maid from Greenville, Mississippi. For some reason she hated LBJ, and voted for Goldwater. She loved Bobby Kennedy however. Anyway, when in Greenville, as a young woman, she worked as a maid for a Jewish family, whom she said were very kind to her. I think that is why,  despite living in Mississippi during the Jim Crow era, she was not resentful of white people. So indirectly, my family benefitted from the phenomenon you describe. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies