African Foreign Aid
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:10:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  African Foreign Aid
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: African Foreign Aid  (Read 210 times)
Hilldog
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 24, 2016, 10:57:55 PM »

What range of money would you send to Sudan and Zimbabwe in light the oppression going on there?  It's absolutely awful. First thing I would do is ask Israel to help us.  Hopefully, we could get a coalition going.  Something has to be done.  My policy would be to ask Israel for help in setting up democracy negotiations with Sudan while intensifying efforts to support the implementation of a peace agreement.  As president, the U.S. would provide funding for humanitarian aid and peace building programs.  Aid of course would be monitored until the end of fighting. 

1.54 million people have been displaced; 7.9 million out of a population of about 12 million face hunger while 4.9 million are severely food insecure. More than half a million are refugees in neighboring countries. The International Crisis Group reports that at least 50,000 people have lost their lives. We would send $2,000,000,000 if it were up to me.  In 2014, the United States committed over $422 million in assistance to South Sudan, and of that amount, $184.6 million was for emergency assistance, up from $86.7 million in 2013.  The United States has already warned of more  limited and targeted sanctions against political leaders if they do not stop the violence and has threatened to expand those sanctions to anyone who supports violence or sabotages the peace agreement.  Peace talks of democracy have to be given a chance.  It's too important.

Our influence can also be used to encourage Kenyan political to respect and protect the life and dignity of all Kenyans.  In high school we had a new student who moved here from Kenya to escape horrible matters.  I'd also work with the African and European Unions to assist the Kenyan Government to address the corruption and decentralization. We should be happy to assist Kenya in constitutional reform and rebuilding their judicial system to provide equal justice for the victims of the worst forms of violence.

In Zimbabwe; encourage African Development Community to provide effective leadership.  Pressure and mediation is needed to bring a peaceful end to the political deadlock in Zimbabwe.  I'd work with the UK, EU, China, and Russia to pressure a government of inclusion to resolve their political differences peacefully and to build a legitimate government that will serve the common good of the Zimbabwean people.  Humanitarian assistance helps millions who are suffering.  Let's help them draft a constitution to provide them basic human rights.  Finally, let's bring over refugees from Zimbabwe who are looking to escape if necessary.

My administration would continue long term assistance to the Eastern Congo by working with MONUSCO and the DRC, Rwanda, and Uganda to peacefully resolve problems and address neighboring countries in illegally exploiting and marketing minerals.  Possible regulation of minerals could end illegal trading. MONUSCO must be funded sufficiently and mandated to provide civilian security in the Democratic Republic of Congo.  We'd help to implement a comprehensive plan to prevent and respond to sexual violence and promoting accountability to perpetrators.  Transparency is key in strengthening their institutions and a civil society to participate in working for a better future for the people of the Democratic Republic of Congo.  Free and fair elections that represent the Congolese people would be the end result.

Now onto Nigeria.  Key here is to help the Nigerian Government build legitimacy through its efforts to establish security and the rule of law while respecting the human rights of its citizens.  Peaceful relations between religious and ethnic communities have been divided by political violence.  How can the US promote the well-being of the Nigerian people through their government?  It starts by taking the lead against the violence provoked by Boko Haram.

Appoint a U.S. Special Envoy for northern Uganda. The envoy should travel to the region to see the crisis firsthand, demonstrate its priority status for the U.S., and promote a broad, inclusive process of political reconciliation. We'll prioritize protection even though fatality rates have fallen slightly from a decade ago.  I believe it was at 1,000 a week then.   There are two goals in mind with Uganda.  One is improving the health and safety conditions in the IDP camps.  If violence begins again, the U.S. should work with Uganda to ensure civilians are adequately protected.

We have our own problems in the U.S. too I have to admit.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies