What are some foods you like that most people seem to hate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 09:59:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What are some foods you like that most people seem to hate?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What are some foods you like that most people seem to hate?  (Read 3120 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 10, 2015, 11:04:00 AM »
« edited: August 10, 2015, 05:20:11 PM by TDAS04 »

I happen to like brussels sprouts, spinach, and strong-flavored fish quite a bit, even though many people do not.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 12:21:26 PM »

Taco Bell. People act like it's Death incarnate, but I never have any stomach problems when I eat it. I seem to have a stronger stomach for spicy foods than most people in general, really.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 12:25:48 PM »

Taco Bell. People act like it's Death incarnate, but I never have any stomach problems when I eat it. I seem to have a stronger stomach for spicy foods than most people in general, really.

If you want spicy or Mexican food, Taco Bell is not the place to find it.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 01:56:43 PM »

Broccoli
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 03:20:16 PM »

All KINDS of GREENS!!!!! Love me some veggies....
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 03:42:54 PM »

I found out about ten years ago that I was the only one on this forum who really likes tuna juice.  Every time I open a can, which is pretty frequently, I always drink the water in it.  We had some discussion here about that.  Apparently not only do most folks waste it, they think drinking it is weird.

CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 03:53:14 PM »

I found out about ten years ago that I was the only one on this forum who really likes tuna juice.  Every time I open a can, which is pretty frequently, I always drink the water in it.  We had some discussion here about that.  Apparently not only do most folks waste it, they think drinking it is weird.

You are a sick man angus!!! :-)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 04:15:03 PM »

Haggis pies are one of my favourite foods. With mushy peas on top.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2015, 04:24:11 PM »

Liverwurst.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 06:10:20 PM »

A lot of vegetables, and also black licorice.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 06:26:56 PM »

Tuna in water? Eww, olive oil is the only proper way...
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 06:32:47 PM »
« Edited: August 10, 2015, 06:44:28 PM by angus »

I found out about ten years ago that I was the only one on this forum who really likes tuna juice.  Every time I open a can, which is pretty frequently, I always drink the water in it.  We had some discussion here about that.  Apparently not only do most folks waste it, they think drinking it is weird.

Tuna in water? Eww, olive oil is the only proper way...

Some do have olive oil.  Most have sunflower oil.  Either way, the oil presents a texture which is undesirable, and an aftertaste which is worse.  Something like the paper in which a Big Mac is served after the "cheese" (actually partially-hydrogenated cottonseed oil) has soaked into it.  I have tried to drink the oil that comes with oily tuna, and to say that I prefer it in water is an understatement.  Moreover, the omega-3 fatty acids as well as the native fish proteins are much less soluble in water than in plant fat, so if you are draining, then you're better off with water as the extractive solvent than with oil.  Of course if you're drinking, then it's a wash, so to speak, at least in terms of consuming the most nutritional components.  Also consider that the tuna in oil does have about 12 grams more fat than the tuna in water, at least for a six-ounce can.  I'm not too concerned with fat, but rather the taste--and for many foods such as sausage I like to have a respectable portion of fat--but for many eaters the extra 12 grams of fat in oily tuna (about 100 calories) is another deciding factor.  

The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 07:21:56 PM »

DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 04:36:51 PM »

I like to pour vinegar over my popcorn instead of salt and vinegar powder.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 04:41:35 PM »

When I was younger (well, teens) I used to drench vinegar into slices of baguette.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2015, 05:03:41 PM »

Ditto.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2015, 06:25:23 PM »

When I was younger (well, teens) I used to drench vinegar into slices of baguette.

That is good, especially with black vinegar, and with a crusty sourdough bātard even better.  Wash it down with a few ounces of canned fish--tuna or otherwise--and you have the breakfast of champions.

Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 08:58:26 PM »

Vinegar makes me gag.

I do put cinnamon on popcorn though.

I love coconuts and coconut flavoured anything: water, Mounds bars, even triscuits recently, but it seems a lot of people hate it.

mmmmmmm Various eggs

mmmmmmm Open faced club sand wedge
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 10:18:02 PM »

THis should be read as "I like to [obscure weird thing] over my popcorn instead of [obscure Canadian thing that no American has ever heard of and is a bit surprised the Canadian is passing off the practice as 'normal"

Anyway...
I love vinegar.  A lot.  White vinegar, malt vinegar, balsamic vinegar (a favorite), cider vinegar.. you name it.  It's good on salad, french fries, bread, potato chips...

Also all of those greens that have a similar flavor... rutabaga, cabbage, brussels sprouts, bok choy, broccoli, cauliflower...

Just steam, fry, or roast them with some butter, salt, and pepper.  One of my favs is oven roasted broccoli so some of the ends start to burn a bit.  Dunk that into the juice of a nice steak.  So good.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2015, 10:28:32 PM »

I'm with Snowguy on vinegar. I'm also the only person I've ever met who ate natto and thought it was okay but nothing special.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2015, 11:20:10 AM »

Prune juice, various vegetables (brussels sprouts, green olives, hummus, etc.), red wine and balsamic vinegar, and blue cheese are a few that come to mind. Salmon also - some people don't like it.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2015, 03:08:10 PM »

It's a bitter Italian liqueur made from artichoke (and a Colonel-worthy secret blend of other herbs and spices).  Coupla years ago, a friend of mine ordered a drink made with this (and some other stuff, I think there was rum and an egg and maybe some other stuff), and I was the only person out of, like, fifteen folks who actually could drink it.  It was delicious!

Also, anchovies.  Basically, if it's bitter or if it's pungent/salty, there's a good chance I'll like it more than most people.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2015, 03:26:35 PM »

Prune juice, various vegetables (brussels sprouts, green olives, hummus, etc.), red wine and balsamic vinegar, and blue cheese are a few that come to mind. Salmon also - some people don't like it.

I don't know about salmon.  That's considered an "upscale" (pricey) and fairly popular fish, at least where  I live. 

Personally, I don't like any foods most consider "really disgusting," but I do like mayo and onions a lot, which a lot of people don't.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2015, 08:08:29 PM »

THis should be read as "I like to [obscure weird thing] over my popcorn instead of [obscure Canadian thing that no American has ever heard of and is a bit surprised the Canadian is passing off the practice as 'normal"

They don't do salt and vinegar flavour in America? I could have sworn I saw some in a grocery store in Florida last year...

I don't know about salmon.  That's considered an "upscale" (pricey) and fairly popular fish, at least where  I live. 

You need to move to Atlantic Canada.

You haven't had salmon until you've bought it fresh off the back of some sketchy French guy's truck for a very inexpensive price.
daverep
Rookie
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2015, 09:56:59 PM »

The white stuff on oranges. Am I the only one that loves this part? Everyone I know seems to hate it.

Also, I might be sticking my neck out as an American that knows many Aussie expats: Vegemite. Super salty, but great on sandwiches.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies