Nomination of Cincinnatus as VP
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:01:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Nomination of Cincinnatus as VP
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Nomination of Cincinnatus as VP  (Read 1480 times)
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 10, 2015, 02:50:13 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

The Senate will be able to ask questions to Cincinnatus, and later vote on whether or not to confirm him
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 03:10:09 PM »

I do think Cincinnatus is a good choice for the role, so I don't see myself voting against his confirmation. However, I would like to ask the nominee on his stance on game reform, which is the main issue we have to address now. Mostly, I would like to know if he supports a Constitutional Convention, a reboot, ending the game, and so on.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 06:24:06 PM »

I'd like to ask him whether he pledges to be an active Vice President and what the vice presidential activity means to him. I haven't seen around much recently and I'm a bit concerned.

Also, since he'd be the first in line, I'd like very much to know his vision of the presidency, should he succeed.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 09:38:01 PM »

I second my colleagues' concerns, but otherwise I think Cincinnatus is a good choice for the post.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 09:43:19 PM »

I second my colleagues' concerns, but otherwise I think Cincinnatus is a good choice for the post.

Well, my vote is going to depend entirely on whether his answers are satisfying. I can't base my vote on personal liking of Cincy, especially now, that we need right men in the government.
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 09:49:30 PM »

Well, my vote is going to depend entirely on whether his answers are satisfying. I can't base my vote on personal liking of Cincy, especially now, that we need right men in the government.

Same here. It is hard times we're living.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 11:42:33 PM »

Same here. It is hard times we're living.

I agree with this. Considering the number of quality posters who have left us in the past couple of months, we have to be extra thorough about vetting our nominees.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 12:33:18 AM »

Cincinnatus did miss a good bit of what happened, so I do hope this extra thoroughness doesn't come across as insulting or whatever.

First off, if confirmed do you promise to faithfully execute your oath as Vice President while in office?

Secondly as to the Vice Presidency, how do you envision making the position more involved then it presently has been?

Do you support making the VP an elected position, which now has widespread support in the Atlasian Senate it would appear?
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 07:32:16 PM »

I will make a post concerning all questions later tonight. Thank you for actually questioning me.  There's hope left in the senate!..
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 09:27:05 PM »

First off I appreciate the opportunity the President has given me to return to this office, one in which I found the most enjoyment in Atlasia. I will attempt to answer all questions directed towards me, however, if anyone feels an answer insufficient or would like to pose a follow up please do so.

My stance on game reform is perhaps the most crucial. It is no secret that I have been a vocal proponent of game reform efforts throughout my time here. Regarding more recent developments, I'm strongly against efforts from both within and outside Atlasia to end this game. I will be a vocal proponent of a constituional convention until such a time that we can no longer sustain nor attempt to repair this game.  There are a lot of proposals on the table and as Vice President I will advocate for this administration and will work directly with elected officials and citizens to find consensus on how to best move forward. What is most clear is that Atlasia needs to change and adapt or it will not survive.  I advocate for a statute reboot and a major down scale in available offices and regions. We have fought this battle before over offices and the number of regions , however, I remain optimistic that if officials come to the table with open minds and the ability to be pragmatic we can reach consensus.

Having been nominated and now advocating for my confirmation I absolutely acknowledge inactivity of many in this office and my own recent inactivity from this game. The Vice Presidency is what you make of it.  I consider myself a hands on Vice President and with regards to that I will be advocating for the administration as well as exercising as much power granted to me by law in order to promote senate activity and public discussion. The Vice President should take an active role in the Senate, as well as advocate for collaboration between the senate and administration legislatively.  The administration purpose at this point should be advocating for and acting as a vocal proponent for change. The President and Vice President must be leaders in the discussion moving forward. We must also work with regional officials and Senators to find a solution to the problems were now facing.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 10:10:43 PM »

Personally I find Cincinnatus answers very suited to the challenges we find today, and so I will support his confirmation.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 12:11:35 AM »

Cincinnatus did miss a good bit of what happened, so I do hope this extra thoroughness doesn't come across as insulting or whatever.

First off, if confirmed do you promise to faithfully execute your oath as Vice President while in office?

Secondly as to the Vice Presidency, how do you envision making the position more involved then it presently has been?

Do you support making the VP an elected position, which now has widespread support in the Atlasian Senate it would appear?

I promise to the best of my ability to execute my oath of office and to bring integrity to be position in which I am entrusted.  

I intend to ruthlessly and mercilessly commandeer the power of the senate and subjugate you all. Really though, my job as Vice President is to advocate for the administration in the senate, maintain and for some of you develop working relationships, while also ensuring procedure is followed and civility is maintained.  Most of the work happens through a lot of one on one conversations, gauging senate and regional opinion and trying to focus on clear and achievable goals. Beyond that promoting senate and public discussion is the most important role any one of us can play and I will make this a focus.

I oppose making the VP and elected office unconditionally. In the past I supported this position when Kal proposed and fought for it. However, in order to achieve something resembling progress in regards to this position we must make direct and clear changes to the powers of this position. The Vice President under this new system should have the unconditional power and responsibility to direct senate procedure. The attitude and actions, or rather inaction, we've grown accustomed to from this office must fundamentally change in order to achieve desired results from this proposal. Otherwise, we're better off continuing to use the Vice Presidency as political leverage.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 02:02:45 AM »

So you would support reversing the withdrawal of the VP From the administration of the Senate that has occured in procedure and constitutional amendment since last year, in conjunction with the seperate election of the office?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 06:19:33 PM »

I oppose making the VP and elected office unconditionally. In the past I supported this position when Kal proposed and fought for it. However, in order to achieve something resembling progress in regards to this position we must make direct and clear changes to the powers of this position. The Vice President under this new system should have the unconditional power and responsibility to direct senate procedure. The attitude and actions, or rather inaction, we've grown accustomed to from this office must fundamentally change in order to achieve desired results from this proposal. Otherwise, we're better off continuing to use the Vice Presidency as political leverage.

Would you be more willing to support the idea if the Vice President would also have to run one of the cabinet department?
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 11:28:22 AM »

So you would support reversing the withdrawal of the VP From the administration of the Senate that has occured in procedure and constitutional amendment since last year, in conjunction with the seperate election of the office?

Correct

Would you be more willing to support the idea if the Vice President would also have to run one of the cabinet department?

This would certainly make the position more relevant but I question whether that's enough.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2015, 01:23:07 PM »

Correct

This would certainly make the position more relevant but I question whether that's enough.

I'm highly sceptical about giving the VP powers to run the Senate. I don't question your personal abilities, Cincy, but the Senate was generally running better when one of the Senator was in charge. Giving the VP a permanent executive responsibility is certainly enough. It doesn't make the post dependent. Think of GM, who's not answering to the President.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2015, 04:58:14 AM »

I'm against giving the VP powers to run the Senate. But despite this, I think Cincinnatus is a good choice.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2015, 05:01:56 AM »

I'm against giving the VP powers to run the Senate. But despite this, I think Cincinnatus is a good choice.

Ditto. It's not about agreeing on all issues with the nominee, but about confirming a capable Atlasian.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2015, 07:13:02 PM »

I think the Senate was at its best when Cincy ran part of it. Tongue

It wasn't called the Era of Good Feelings for northing. Wink
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy