New Democrat Coalition to Assert Themselves This Fall
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:49:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  New Democrat Coalition to Assert Themselves This Fall
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New Democrat Coalition to Assert Themselves This Fall  (Read 1057 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 10, 2015, 05:21:46 PM »

The Blue Dogs had their time in the sun early in Barack Obama's presidency -now it's the New Democrats' turn:

New Democrats plan ‘assertive’ new presence in House:
The New Democrat Coalition sees opportunities this fall on taxes, trade, Medicare and others.

By Lauren French

You must be logged in to read this quote.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/08/new-dems-plan-assertive-new-presence-in-house-121208.html#ixzz3iSASz6oC
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 12:19:37 AM »

The Blue Dog's niche is almost empty after 2010 and 2014, so someone must take a role of "brake" for "too innovative" (and, usually, costly) legislation within party. No one else fits..
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 05:37:21 PM »

Get used to losing again, Democrats.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 09:19:48 PM »

Democrats need moderates in some states in order to win, like Wisconsin, Virginia, etc. It can work.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 09:20:43 PM »

They have my support, especially if it moderates the Dems again
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 01:11:53 AM »
« Edited: August 13, 2015, 01:31:12 AM by smoltchanov »

They have my support, especially if it moderates the Dems again

Me too. As i said - i observe (and sometimes - participate) an American politics for more then 40 years, and in most cases it became utterly boring of recently (last 15-20 of them): marching more and more left Democratic candidates against marching more and more right Republican. Essentially the same under different envelopes (and both - absolutely intolerant of every opinion and approach, but their own - one more proof of their kinship). Tweedledee and Tweedledum in it's purest form. Wouldn't it be for 40 years already spent - i would ignore present American politics as devoid both reason and interest..... I almost forgot when i was FOR a candidate, now it's almost always "whom do i hate less" situation (with candidates from one party in primaries espousing absolutely the same, and candidates of different parties being exact mirror image of one another, but - equally radical).....
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 04:11:16 AM »
« Edited: August 13, 2015, 04:16:04 AM by smoltchanov »

I doubt that it will help them in the House and elsewhere. I really do.

Disagree. Swing district still exist. Much smaller in numbers then even 20 years ago (with rarest exceptions - only D+5 to R+5 districts fall in this category now, and even they - not all),  but still. It's in such districts that moderate candidates are direly needed. I tried many times to count maximal number of "progressives" that can be elected to the House - and never came with number above 185 - 190. Even in "banner" democratic years like 2006 and 2008 there were approximately that number of "real progressives", but - much more moderates then now (no more then 20) and even some conservatives, who are absolutely absent now in Democratic caucus (no, even Graham, Ashford and Peterson are NOT a conservatives. Just as even Gibson and Collins are not liberal Republicans, but, in best case - moderate one)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies