Presidential Pardon Limitation Amendment (Failed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:30:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Presidential Pardon Limitation Amendment (Failed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Presidential Pardon Limitation Amendment (Failed)  (Read 3711 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« on: August 15, 2015, 05:06:01 AM »

The decision to ensure that the President cannot pardon themselves was a thoroughly sensible thing. This move is unnecessary, I won't support it.

I mean, we're virtually at the point where we're giving the Vice President more active powers than the President.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 11:40:02 PM »

I know I'm not a Senator, but I think the fact I proposed the bill allows me to briefly chime in here with a correction: this is not taking powers away from the President. Not at all. It just keeps the President from doing whatever the heck he wants with it. Checks and balances shouldn't be confused with eliminating Presidential power.

To reiterate: if this amendment, as I wrote it, passes, the President will still be able to pardon people. It's just that the pardons will be overturned if 3/4ths of all Senators (currently 8/10, to round it up) agree it was a bad decision. That means that 7 Senators can vote against the pardon, and it's not overturned! The President still has the power to pardon whoever he wants (except himself, of course), the only way out of that being if a super-supermajority of all but 2 decide to overturn it!

Hardly stripping the position of all power, as you 3 insinuated, if you ask me.

I get the point, but as someone who was President for two terms, this really is not a necessary reform. If a President's pardon is to be overturned, the only body I would consider appropriate would be the Supreme Court, as it should be based on the law.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 10:11:08 PM »

What do you think of a final vote (it's not a motion)?
I will not support this amendment.

Neither will I. I can't see this working out.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies