Presidential Pardon Limitation Amendment (Failed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:11:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Presidential Pardon Limitation Amendment (Failed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Presidential Pardon Limitation Amendment (Failed)  (Read 3769 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: August 13, 2015, 01:28:08 AM »

I don't suppose we could eliminate the presidential pardon althogether, right? I advocate for more power to the executive, but that particular one is just too easy to abuse despite limitations.

I wouldn't want to eliminate pardon per se, but Lumine's concerns does have some merit (we all remember the crap Tyrion pulled). How about transfering it to a Board of Pardons - not a permanent institution, but a designated group that would convey only when a pardon is being requested?

Makes me think of a parole board.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 02:15:02 AM »
« Edited: August 16, 2015, 02:18:29 AM by Senator PiT »

The decision to ensure that the President cannot pardon themselves was a thoroughly sensible thing. This move is unnecessary, I won't support it.

I mean, we're virtually at the point where we're giving the Vice President more active powers than the President.

That would be fairly interesting, actually. It would be kind of like Texas. Realistically though, I doubt it would work well.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 01:20:23 AM »

The decision to ensure that the President cannot pardon themselves was a thoroughly sensible thing. This move is unnecessary, I won't support it.

I mean, we're virtually at the point where we're giving the Vice President more active powers than the President.

That would be fairly interesting, actually. It would be kind of like Texas. Realistically though, I doubt it would work well.

Don't dog on Texas, you represent them in the Senate. Tongue

It works for Texas. I'm just not sure it would work for us. Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 02:54:36 PM »

Nay
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length