Presidential Pardon Limitation Amendment (Failed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:23:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Presidential Pardon Limitation Amendment (Failed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Presidential Pardon Limitation Amendment (Failed)  (Read 3762 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: August 14, 2015, 07:35:35 PM »

Who would constitute this Board of Pardons?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 12:23:32 AM »

It is not from the President Polnut's of the world that we expect history making in the realm of executive excess.

That being said, I am somewhat sympathetic to the notion of balance of powers in this case. However, assuming the VP is independently elected, would still constitute the executive branch and would even acting in a cabinet position be placed in a hierarchical structure below that of the President nad there must be some means to preserve that sort of relationship in the VP amendment.

As for the pardon power, I would still like to hear more about this pardon board and how it woul operate were it not the Senate as Kalwejt framed earlier.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 12:10:26 AM »

The decision to ensure that the President cannot pardon themselves was a thoroughly sensible thing. This move is unnecessary, I won't support it.

I mean, we're virtually at the point where we're giving the Vice President more active powers than the President.

That would be fairly interesting, actually. It would be kind of like Texas. Realistically though, I doubt it would work well.

Don't dog on Texas, you represent them in the Senate. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 12:11:34 AM »

It is not from the President Polnut's of the world that we expect history making in the realm of executive excess.

That being said, I am somewhat sympathetic to the notion of balance of powers in this case. However, assuming the VP is independently elected, would still constitute the executive branch and would even acting in a cabinet position be placed in a hierarchical structure below that of the President nad there must be some means to preserve that sort of relationship in the VP amendment.

As for the pardon power, I would still like to hear more about this pardon board and how it woul operate were it not the Senate as Kalwejt framed earlier.

Hmm... for example a body of three members, one appointed by each branch of the government (that is President, Senate and the Supreme Court). Not a permanently working institution, conveing only when a pardon request has been made.

The President gives out few pardons so it would indeed be rarely used.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 05:06:06 AM »

So where do we stand right now. Is there anything that would garner the necessary two-thirds at this point?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 03:52:45 AM »

AYE

I like legislative oversight of the executive and until bore disappeared the move for a long time has been to shift power in the executive's direction so I don't fear too much for an imbalance in favor of the legislature.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies