Opinion of Black Lives Matter
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:31:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Black Lives Matter
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Opinion of this movement?
Positive

Negative

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 106

Author Topic: Opinion of Black Lives Matter  (Read 6928 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 11, 2015, 04:20:00 PM »

As of right now, very misguided, attacking the wrong people and issues, etc.

Negative
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 04:21:50 PM »

Positive (normal, not a racist)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 04:23:15 PM »

Don't want to empty-quote, but this seems fairly succinct.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 04:29:50 PM »

Negative, First of all it should be All Lives Matter or Stop Police Brutality as police brutality affects everyone, and 2nd and most importantly its been turned into an attack everyone but Hillary group
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 04:31:45 PM »

Negative, First of all it should be All Lives Matter or Stop Police Brutality as police brutality affects everyone, and 2nd and most importantly its been turned into an attack everyone but Hillary group

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/08/black-lives-matter-protesters-attempt-disrupt-hillary-clinton-2016-event-121269.html
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 04:37:08 PM »

It's not an organization.  It's a completely atomized movement that anyone can claim to represent.  And often, the people you hear are the loudest dumbest version of that movement.

What if we judged the Civil Rights movement of the 1960s by the behavior of the Black Panthers and the rioters who went around stealing and setting buildings on fire?  Obviously, it's unfair.  There were people ostensibly fighting for Civil Rights in the 1960s who had a horrible message and did horrible things.  The same is true today.

But overall, I'm not a fan.  I think we all think that some cops are out of control and overly aggressive.  I think we also support some degree of police reform, depending on the jurisdiction.  But, I think the movement is focusing on the wrong things.  I think Black Lives Mater is too emotional and focused on individual people, and not focused on policy or solutions.  You see a lot of the same problems as Occupy Wall Street.  It's a movement that's intensely angry about a disparity, but that's where it ends.

Lots of people get murdered.  It's always a tragedy when someone is shot, right?  How do you translate that into a policy?  Just stop policing black neighborhoods?   These emotional stories of individual people dying are all sad.  But, what does it imply we ought to do about it?  At the end of the day, we need police for the sake of public safety.  In high-crime areas of a country with a high gun ownership rate, police have to shoot people sometimes.  Maybe we need to focus on lowering the crime and gun ownership rate.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 05:26:29 PM »

Negative because of how they have acted.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 05:29:43 PM »

A little bit of both. On the whole, I'd say slightly negative but the movement is certainly right about the fact that there is an endemic of unnecessary killings of unarmed young black men by police.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 05:31:45 PM »

I have a net-positive view of it.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 05:35:56 PM »

Seems like a lot of white noise (or should that be black noise). Those in the 'movement', such as it is, who are the most adept at self-advancement will likely pursue lucrative careers as politicians or in the media (a la Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton). Most of the movement's sled-proclaimed supporters will drift away from it in time, as they find they don't have the time to be professional activists. I imagine this whole movement will be forgotten in a few years.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 05:49:54 PM »

Didn't the actual BLM say that the agitators at Sanders rallies had nothing to do with them? I don't see any reason to hold an entire movement accountable for the action of a few loons.

What SWE said.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 06:31:34 PM »

Positive movement, albeit one that lacks the kind of substantive demands and organizational apparatus that would make it more than just a sort of disorganized opposition to the mass murder of black people in this country conducted daily by the occupying armies (i.e. the police) of Capital. The way forward for BLM is forging a revolutionary party that can coordinate the actions of the black proletariat (i.e. the driving force behind BLM, as opposed to the Civil Rights movement of the 1960s, which was certainly more petty-bourgeois in its character and general aims) with that of the whole proletariat for the kind of mass action that can overthrow the capitalist system from which modern race hatred arose.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 06:38:37 PM »

Positive. Although I may question tactics from time to time (attacking Bernie), overall it's a great movement!
Proudconnh
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.29, S: 3.83

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 06:45:53 PM »
« Edited: August 11, 2015, 06:50:14 PM by Proudconnh »

Extremely Negative due to there anger at people stating that all lives matter
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 07:14:45 PM »

Positive in general, but the group is disorganized and certain factions like the "Outside Agitators 206" who interrupted Bernie are despicable.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2015, 10:16:00 PM »

This is such a white thread. "All Lives Matter", "Stop policing black neighborhoods" lol.

Very, very positive.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2015, 11:15:38 PM »

It's not an organization.  It's a completely atomized movement that anyone can claim to represent.  And often, the people you hear are the loudest dumbest version of that movement.

What if we judged the Civil Rights movement of the 1960s by the behavior of the Black Panthers and the rioters who went around stealing and setting buildings on fire?  Obviously, it's unfair.  There were people ostensibly fighting for Civil Rights in the 1960s who had a horrible message and did horrible things.  The same is true today.

But overall, I'm not a fan.  I think we all think that some cops are out of control and overly aggressive.  I think we also support some degree of police reform, depending on the jurisdiction.  But, I think the movement is focusing on the wrong things.  I think Black Lives Mater is too emotional and focused on individual people, and not focused on policy or solutions.  You see a lot of the same problems as Occupy Wall Street.  It's a movement that's intensely angry about a disparity, but that's where it ends.

Lots of people get murdered.  It's always a tragedy when someone is shot, right?  How do you translate that into a policy?  Just stop policing black neighborhoods?   These emotional stories of individual people dying are all sad.  But, what does it imply we ought to do about it?  At the end of the day, we need police for the sake of public safety.  In high-crime areas of a country with a high gun ownership rate, police have to shoot people sometimes.  Maybe we need to focus on lowering the crime and gun ownership rate.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 08:50:11 AM »

Lean negative. I understand where they're coming from and that something needs to change, and I also understand if people argue that this kind of change is not something you should "beg for" or demand nicely. I also understand that while "all lives" do "matter", by saying so in response to BLM one neglects the very issue with racism.

However, it has simply gone too far. BLM is not even about equality anymore, it's about frustration against white people. For BLM, all white people seem to be guilty and they need to feel guilty. The BLM movement should focus on concrete changes within the police and within the criminal justice system instead of focusing on abstract emotions that might be very real, but won't change a lot, other than stirring up even more anger on both sides. More racial polarization is the last thing society needs and that's what BLM is currently responsible for. By doing so, it doesn't contribute to equality at all.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 09:12:44 AM »

Positive movement, albeit one that lacks the kind of substantive demands and organizational apparatus that would make it more than just a sort of disorganized opposition to the mass murder of black people in this country conducted daily by the occupying armies (i.e. the police) of Capital. The way forward for BLM is forging a revolutionary party that can coordinate the actions of the black proletariat (i.e. the driving force behind BLM, as opposed to the Civil Rights movement of the 1960s, which was certainly more petty-bourgeois in its character and general aims) with that of the whole proletariat for the kind of mass action that can overthrow the capitalist system from which modern race hatred arose.

Communism will always be evil and a faliure
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2015, 11:44:03 AM »

Communism will always be evil and a faliure

Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2015, 12:16:48 PM »

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but are you saying blacks should build their own party, rather than joining the CWI (or whichever group you're affiliated with)?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2015, 12:41:51 PM »

Positive in terms of motivation, negative in terms of tactics. Hope it ends up less fragmented and dumb then Occupy though.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2015, 06:14:37 PM »

Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2015, 06:44:58 PM »

I mean, like 90% of that is accurate - but she goes completely off the rails with the first one. If you shoot first, the police are going to dead your ass with good reason.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2015, 07:09:47 PM »

Positive in terms of motivation, negative in terms of tactics. Hope it ends up less fragmented and dumb then Occupy though.

This is roughly my stance on it.

Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies