Rand Paul and Abortion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:24:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Rand Paul and Abortion
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rand Paul and Abortion  (Read 813 times)
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 11, 2015, 09:06:09 PM »

I'm perplexed why Rand Paul is against abortion.  To the extent his is a libertarian, one would think that he would let the individual decide for herself whether to abort a pregnancy.  I did note that Ron Paul was also pro-life which also seems counter to a libertarian approach. 

For Rand, running in Kentucky as a pro-choicer would be a ticket to defeat, but I wouldn't have thought of Rand Paul as one who would be inclined to take pragmatic approaches to various controversial issues.

I'm curious to see what others think.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 09:13:29 PM »

He's also against pot legalization and gay marriage, and pals with racists like Cliven Bundy. He's a paleoconservative, not a libertarian.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 09:25:47 PM »

I'm perplexed why Rand Paul is against abortion.  To the extent his is a libertarian, one would think that he would let the individual decide for herself whether to abort a pregnancy.  I did note that Ron Paul was also pro-life which also seems counter to a libertarian approach. 

For Rand, running in Kentucky as a pro-choicer would be a ticket to defeat, but I wouldn't have thought of Rand Paul as one who would be inclined to take pragmatic approaches to various controversial issues.

Not all Libertarians are pro-abortion. There are folks (like myself) who are both libertarian and have a Biblical worldview which the Paul's do.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 09:45:03 PM »

Not all Libertarians are pro-abortion. There are folks (like myself) who are both libertarian and have a Biblical worldview which the Paul's do.

Those two views sort of cancel each other out. A lot conservatives like to call themselves libertarian because it sounds good to some voters, but they are really just social conservatives.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 09:46:33 PM »

"Government small enough to fit into your uterus."
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 09:50:19 PM »

If he believes it is taking a human life, then is what is the contradiction?  I mean, so long as he's not saying he's going to wiretap the phones of pregnant women to make sure the don't call an abortion clinic...
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 11:26:58 PM »

Both the pro-life and pro-choice positions are compatible with libertarianism. If you don't understand how, you are a dullard.
Higgs

Political Matrix
E: 6.14, S: -4.17

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 11:41:20 PM »

Both the pro-life and pro-choice positions are compatible with libertarianism. If you don't understand how, you are a dullard.

Agreed. Do people not understand that not everyone sees personhood the same way?

If a libertarian believes a fetus is a human being then it is completely consistent with their ideology to believe said fetus has rights.

(this is my view btw)
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 12:25:46 AM »

Perhaps, instead of trying to make square pegs fit into every ideological round hole, people might do well to consider the triviality of their own existences on a cosmic scale, and the absurdity of the entire concept of any of us humans having somehow created a way of thinking that is realer than objective reality.

The abortion debate in particular is just swimming in bad faith and metaphysical falsehoods.  It would be so, so much improved if everyone dropped the collective insanity and simply admitted the honest truth:

1. Fetuses are human (like, duh).
2. "Rights" are made of feels, not reals (like, duh).

Now, man's locked in a room his whole life, might be kinda scary to come out.  But, just for the sake of your own intellectual growth, try for a moment to throw out all the assumptions you've made about the subject and proceed from the above two.  Do you still arrive at the same conclusion?  "It makes me feel better" is as good an argument as any other, by the way.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 12:33:07 AM »

Yes.
useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 10:25:20 AM »

He's also against pot legalization and gay marriage, and pals with racists like Cliven Bundy. He's a paleoconservative, not a libertarian.

Is he really against pot legalization? In the same way Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama were against gay marriage? Being pals with racists (esp anti-semites) isn't exclusive to any of part of the left-right-libertarian-authoritarian spectrum. His stated marriage position is that it shouldn't be a government function, and we know that has always been his position regardless, which is as libertarian as it gets on the issue.

Although libertarians could be pro-choice or pro-life, I would say a position on Roe v. Wade does say something about your libertarianism. I don't know that following the rationale of Roe v. Wade is consistent with traditional American libertarianism, because as with Obergefell, it makes a farce of the Constitution. I would say any libertarian could support legalized abortion, or even gay marriage (if a moderate libertarian), on the state level or some other more localized level.

Conflating social libertarianism with social liberalism, which are as different from one another as old-school social conservatism is from social libertarianism, is just silly. This is especially true now that social liberalism has become incredibly authoritarian, in the way that traditional social conservatism (which is dead as a major force) once was.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 10:46:12 AM »

It depends on whether you consider a fetus to be a person or not. If you do, it's essentially ehe same as libertarians supporting keeping murder illegal.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2015, 11:37:32 AM »

Because he's trying to win on the republican ticket?
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2015, 12:09:17 PM »

Are you anti-SSM too?

If so, I'd advise you to change your avatar to "Tea Party".
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2015, 12:55:16 PM »

Are you anti-SSM too?

What does SSM have to do with abortion?
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2015, 01:53:42 PM »

It depends on whether you consider a fetus to be a person or not. If you do, it's essentially ehe same as libertarians supporting keeping murder illegal.

Basically this. The libertarian philosophy is more nuanced than letting people do whatever the heck they want to do. Libertarians are just as against the ending of a life as everyone else, so if you think personhood begins at conception, it fits into the ideology as much as being pro-marijuana legalization does.

And don't think for a second everyone who's against abortion has that position because of a "Biblical worldview." Conservatives always like to mix in that with gay marriage as "moral issues," which is irratating because, to me, simple common sense leads one to oppose abortion--just as it does to support gay marriage, drug legalization/decriminalization, abolition of the death penalty, and a less interventionist foreign policy.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2015, 02:02:53 PM »

Rand is obviously pro-pot legalization, even if he won't publicly say so.  He (unsuccessfully) filibustered the bill to ban "bath salts" a few years ago.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2015, 06:43:49 PM »

Because he's trying to win on the republican ticket?

Perhaps, but I suspect his pro-life views are genuine. His father was an outspoken pro-life OBGYN so there's probably a personal component to it.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2015, 09:39:07 PM »

Are you anti-SSM too?

You are aware one can oppose SSM and be a Libertarian. My avatar stays as it is unless Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, Scott Walker, Ben Carson, or Marco Rubio get the GOP nomination.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2015, 09:44:25 PM »

Are you anti-SSM too?

You are aware one can oppose SSM and be a Libertarian. My avatar stays as it is unless Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, Scott Walker, Ben Carson, or Marco Rubio get the GOP nomination.

Why Marco Rubio?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2015, 11:45:05 PM »

Are you anti-SSM too?

Why Marco Rubio?

Senate version of Scott Walker
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies