Announcement...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:19:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Announcement...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Announcement...  (Read 790 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 08, 2005, 07:25:37 PM »

Baton Rouge, LA:

I have returned home today, not only to celebrate Mother's Day with my dear mother, whom I care about deeply and sincerely, but to also make a little announcement with regards to my future and the future of those in Atlasia.

Today I have come to you to announce that I will be running for re-election, or now it is just straightforward election, is it?...

(laughter)

to the Southeast Regional Senate seat this upcoming June.

(cheers)

Together these past few months we've accomplished great things together.  We've provided Atlasia with a Criminal Justice system; we've provided her with an election system that makes sense; we've brought fiscal responsibility back to the halls of Nyman; and most importantly, we've made this country and the Southeast Region great again!

If elected, in these next few months, I will work with my respected colleagues to bring Atlasia to the forefront of world affairs and to bring Southeastern sensibility and values to this country at large.

There are still many things we have left to do.  We must implement an immigration plan that will respect the rights of citizens, while giving new Atlasians a chance to fulfill the "Atlasian Dream".  We must continue down the road of fiscal responsibility towards a smaller and more effective government for Atlasians.  We must make sure that we trade freely that those countries who are our friends, so that each one of them and Atlasia can develop forward into the 21st century.

I came to the halls of the Senate two months ago promising something different: a centrist ideology that would shake the foundations of Nyman bureaucrats.  In my first session in Senate, we passed more legislation than the first three Senates did combined and all of that legislation represented the views of Atlasia and the Southeastern Region as a whole, not the views of some bureaucrats in Washington who can't wait to get their hands into the cookie jar.

And this is what I promise I will continue to do for the Southeast Region and Atlasia as a whole, if you choose to re-elect me this coming June.

To any and all opponents I may have:  I welcome you in this race and I wish you the best in the upcoming months.

Thank you.
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 08:49:35 PM »

You've got my vote.  You've been an outstanding Senator, Sam.  I commend you for your job.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 08:57:34 PM »

Thanks for your support and your commendations, Preston.  Smiley
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 09:02:01 PM »

While I generally have great respect your work and your positions on the issues, as well as your fine work for the Union Party (and I expect to vote for your reelection), I have to be critical on one thing: when the Southeast governor attempted to abuse the powers he was given and usurp the authority that you and your colleagues hold as senators in the govenment of Atlasia, you had little if anything to say. Maybe a smart politician does what you did when a controversial issue emerges: ignore it to avoid making enemies. That doesn't go far with me. We gave you power as a member of the Atlasia senate, when someone tried to usurp that power, you played possum. I believe you were remiss in doing so. With that off my chest, good luck to you in your re-election.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2005, 09:03:13 PM »

You'll never get my vote!  It's mine, I tell you!  All mine!
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2005, 09:15:34 PM »

While I generally have great respect your work and your positions on the issues, as well as your fine work for the Union Party (and I expect to vote for your reelection), I have to be critical on one thing: when the Southeast governor attempted to abuse the powers he was given and usurp the authority that you and your colleagues hold as senators in the govenment of Atlasia, you had little if anything to say. Maybe a smart politician does what you did when a controversial issue emerges: ignore it to avoid making enemies. That doesn't go far with me. We gave you power as a member of the Atlasia senate, when someone tried to usurp that power, you played possum. I believe you were remiss in doing so. With that off my chest, good luck to you in your re-election.

Well, TCash, let me first off say that I respect what you have said, and that you are certainly are right that I had little to say at the Regional level because I felt like it was not my place and also because I saw nothing that I, nor the Senate could do in this matter, except to perhaps pass a resolution denouncing the action.

The fact that this probably was also a smart thing to do politically was not the rationale behind it, though I will not deny that the thought did not cross my mind.

I said from the beginning that I wanted to listen to what the Supreme Court had to say on the issue and let that be the final decision-maker in the process.  I never called for federal troops to invade the South before this happened, and I think considering the final solution, it was probably the right thing to do.

I also talked with Regional officials behind-the-scenes to see if there were any potential compromise actions that could simply forego the whole thing, but in the end there were none, so I simply dropped that.

If in any of this, this means that I played possum with the situation, I accept that judgment.  I don't agree with it, but I will accept it.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2005, 09:20:26 PM »

Senator, thank you for your comments. I see the wisdom in what you have explained and respect you for your honesty. While it is not exactly what I would have done, I see that your actions were well thought out and you were being cautious while hotheads played games. Again, thank you for your response and best of luck. Let me know how I can help.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2005, 09:23:06 PM »

Good luck.
George W. Hobbes
Mr. Hobbes

Political Matrix
E: -0.38, S: 1.03

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2005, 10:05:14 PM »

Good luck Sam...and good hunting! Wink
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2005, 10:43:59 PM »

I had been considering a possible Senate run had you chosen to not run again.  This makes my decision for what to do  for June much easier.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2005, 10:51:13 PM »

I had been considering a possible Senate run had you chosen to not run again.  This makes my decision for what to do  for June much easier.

Well, although I wish to have competition in the race, I am frankly happy that you're not the competition.  Smiley

Especially if your decision for June is the one I think it is.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2005, 04:05:10 AM »

I guess I should bring back the Sam Spade for Senate banner.

Guess I'll start one of those Campaign HQ thingys also pretty soon as well.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2005, 04:57:56 AM »

Two things:

1.  I should probably mention this occasionally, but I try to keep up my voting record and bills I've proposed and passed in the Senate, as well as PC scores on the Atlas Wiki link in my signature. 

If any voters are curious, that's probably the best way to read up on me.  One of these days, I'll link to a post that I've made of my own personal beliefs, but first I've got to find a good one here.

2.  As in accordance with what I said during my first election campaign, if I am lucky enough to be elected to this Senate seat for a second time, I will not run for re-election a third time. 

I see no reason to, besides, I don't want this seat to become my own personal property; I want to give others, new citizens, etc, a chance to work in the Senate as well.  I will move on, maybe to some other position, as time passes.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2005, 02:52:07 PM »

Good luck Sam. I hope to see you in the next Senate.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies