Ohio to have recreational marijuana legalization referendum in 2015
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:21:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Ohio to have recreational marijuana legalization referendum in 2015
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ohio to have recreational marijuana legalization referendum in 2015  (Read 1273 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 12, 2015, 08:49:15 PM »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/08/12/ohio-vote-legalizing-marijuana/31558749/

My expectation is that this fails because they put it on the ballot in an off off year and the only people who vote in odd years are the retired and cranks. Someone in Ohio really missed a trick in putting it in 2015 and not 2016, when it'd benefit from Presidential year turnout.

Thoughts? Your take? Will Ohio become the 6th state to legalize marijuana?
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 12:39:22 AM »

How dumb. They won't even achieve pathetic midterm turnout. Kudos to the group pushing for this, but still, incredibly poor strategy.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 01:25:47 AM »

Good. I don't have high hopes though because of the olds that will inevitably turn out will outnumber the younger folks. Can they still do it in 2016 if it fails?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 03:25:21 AM »

This is a very ...  peculiar referendum, and not one that I would immediately favour. Basically it legally caps the amount of marijuana farms to just ten wealthy investors. Because of this, a lot of people are calling this that old canard "crony capitalist".
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 03:28:54 AM »

This is a very ...  peculiar referendum, and not one that I would immediately favour. Basically it legally caps the amount of marijuana farms to just ten wealthy investors. Because of this, a lot of people are calling this that old canard "crony capitalist".

Yeah I don't really like this for this exact reason. I would much prefer something along the line of Colorado than this stuff.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 05:24:01 AM »

On the other hand, does OH have any elections (municipal, for example) regularly scheduled in the off-off years? There's a tendency for referendum elections - when they're the only thing on the ballot - to go the way of the originating side since more people tend to come out to support the measure being proposed than do to oppose it. Of course, there will still be a lot of old cranks showing up, as has already been mentioned.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 02:29:14 PM »

How dumb. They won't even achieve pathetic midterm turnout. Kudos to the group pushing for this, but still, incredibly poor strategy.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 03:38:31 PM »

Yeah I don't really like this for this exact reason. I would much prefer something along the line of Colorado than this stuff.

I tend to agree with you here, although there's the element that if this passes, fixing the state-sponsored marijuana monopoly (Yes, I know monopoly isn't the right word because there's ten companies, not one, but they'd probably form some sort of cartel and start price-fixing) would be easier to do at a later date.

How would the Ohio law affect home-growers? The article mentioned that it'd ban other commercial growers besides the big 10, but I'm not sure if that also bans people who grow small amounts for personal use.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 09:39:35 PM »

On the other hand, does OH have any elections (municipal, for example) regularly scheduled in the off-off years? There's a tendency for referendum elections - when they're the only thing on the ballot - to go the way of the originating side since more people tend to come out to support the measure being proposed than do to oppose it. Of course, there will still be a lot of old cranks showing up, as has already been mentioned.

Ohio has the majority of its local elections in odd year Novembers. The people turning out will most likely be motivated by school board elections and school levies. Those are generally the most divisive things on the ballot in odd years.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies