Should it be legal for race to be a criteria in sperm donor request?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:15:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should it be legal for race to be a criteria in sperm donor request?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Should it be legal for race to be a criteria in sperm donor request?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 77

Author Topic: Should it be legal for race to be a criteria in sperm donor request?  (Read 4216 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 12, 2015, 10:31:08 PM »

As in should women be permitted to request sperm from a donor of a certain race, in addition to also permitted things like height, build, eye and hair color, etc. (which obviously aren't in any way linked to race.)

Seeing as how such categories are heavily linked to race, it's kind of hard to argue they should be while race can't be...unless you want women going for artificial insemination to just get a completely random donor.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 10:36:59 PM »

BRTD is talking politics?!??!?!?!?!
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 11:50:31 PM »

When people choose who they want to date, f[inks], spend the rest of their life with, etc., race factors into many people's decision, consciously or subconsciously. It could be argued that this is racist, but it happens and is impossible to entirely prevent. As long as choosing a sperm donor is chosen similarly to choosing a partner, it would be illogical to ban it.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 09:55:47 AM »

I should point out Atlas is the only place I've ever seen this be controversial.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 02:46:32 PM »

lolbrtd
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 11:50:14 PM »

I'm pretty uncomfortable with the entire idea of sperm donations, actually. Voted no.

Interesting, I don't think I've heard an argument against them before. Why?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 01:36:57 AM »

I'm pretty uncomfortable with the entire idea of sperm donations, actually. Voted no.

Really? It's the same arguments that are used against IVF in general, which are pretty common.

1) Why go to so much trouble to create a new life when there are already so many orphans in the world? It's basically just because people are vain, they can only love a child if it has their genes. Such people shouldn't be parents in the first place.

2) It destroys a crap ton of embryos (bad if you're pro-life).

3) It often leads to unwanted multiple births. Again, same issues as number 1, waste of resources. Additionally, when people unexpectedly have 5 kids they almost always have to go on public assistance. So tax payers end up paying to support people who just blew 100k on making 5 test tube babies, 4 of whom they didn't even want.

4) It often leads to premature birth. Again, waste of resources. Why are we creating sickly babies when there are plenty of healthy ones already?
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 10:02:49 AM »

Haha, is this even a question that's debated somewhere? Kind of like, do I have the right to consider ethnicity when selecting a mate? How about gender? It's equally preposterous, IMO, so of course.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 10:17:56 AM »

Really? It's the same arguments that are used against IVF in general, which are pretty common.

1) Why go to so much trouble to create a new life when there are already so many orphans in the world? It's basically just because people are vain, they can only love a child if it has their genes. Such people shouldn't be parents in the first place.

A significant of transnational adoption are stolen and/or bought children even in the third world, where we would think there was a oversupply. So to some degree those "unwanted" children are just one more way, for the rich world to extract resources, this time the most precious one they have at allm from the poor world.

DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 01:47:34 PM »

I should point out Atlas is the only place I've ever seen this be controversial.
Yeah, basically this. Of course it should be legal.
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 08:08:10 PM »

I'm against having children in today's day and age. Earth is already overpopulated, and people who want children can adopt (this is a preferable alternative regardless).
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 10:00:36 PM »

I'm against having children in today's day and age. Earth is already overpopulated, and people who want children can adopt (this is a preferable alternative regardless).

A significant of transnational adoption are stolen and/or bought children even in the third world, where we would think there was a oversupply.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2015, 05:13:34 AM »

People still think the world is overpopulated?  Are you the same guys that fear GMOs and fluoride?
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2015, 11:30:46 AM »

Not sure if I buy this, but even if it's true, we have a way out:

The final frontier.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 02:36:00 PM »

There exist this idea among Americans, but also among many other westners that the poor world, is just full of poor orphans who can be send to the west. The problem even in the best cases, transnational adoption is controversial, in Korea as exampole who send many children abroad up to the 90ties, girls who had become pregnant outside wedlock was de facto forced to give up their children. In Africa the chilodren usual have large extended families, and the children are often stolen or sold by their parents thanks to the western demand for children.

No there's not some massive oversupply of orphans, there's some states who choose to push it because of domestic policies, but the massive oversupply people imagine exist, doesn't at least not for young children, for older children, there's more, but everything indicate that transnational adoption for them is rather traumatising.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2015, 09:18:28 PM »

Yes, but I'd argue it's morally questionable to consider it on a personal level.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 11:44:13 PM »

Not sure if I buy this, but even if it's true, we have a way out:

The final frontier.
Do you really have Ayn Rand in your sig and you reference a series in which everything is free and hunger has been wiped out? lol
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2015, 12:54:16 PM »

Yes, but I'd argue it's morally questionable to consider it on a personal level.

I'm not sure about that. I think that's true when it comes to choosing who you date, but being race-neutral in seeking partners and ultimately marrying someone of another race and raising a biracial child in a biracial household is very different from a single mother choosing to raise a child of another race on her own. I don't think there's anything racist or immoral per se about a single woman deciding she's not up to that task.
Jacobtm

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2015, 05:40:36 PM »

People still think the world is overpopulated?  Are you the same guys that fear GMOs and fluoride?

Liberals are just nuts, thinking that abortion is great, having kids is kinda weird or really something best avoided altogether, but let's keep letting in tons of immigratns with high fertility rates... It's literally a recipe for national suicide. Promote birth control and abortion everywhere, encourage people to live like they're 19 for their whole adult life, partying and never trying to settle down to raise a family. Meanwhile import people with twice or more your fertility and watch your country slip away.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2015, 10:55:14 PM »

Yes.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2015, 11:20:17 PM »

politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2015, 07:13:48 AM »

People still think the world is overpopulated? 

It is getting more and more overpopulated every day, so still is a weird phrase in this context.

We consume more resources than we generate. The amount of arable land is shrinking and deteriorating in quality and drinking water becomes scarce in many areas. Wildlife halved in the last 40 years (important for some of us). CO2 emission growing at rapid pace.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2015, 08:13:04 PM »

Wildlife halved in the last 40 years

while I agree with the spirit of your post, and in fact with all the other things you said, I have to call bullshit on that specific phrase.  You got a peer-reviewed study backing that up? 
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2015, 08:58:57 PM »

Well, assuming they're allowed to want the child to look like them, I'd imagine that specifying race would be legal by definition.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2015, 08:42:43 AM »

We consume more resources than we generate.
SOME resources we are using up, but we're not going to run out of "resources", ever.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
There are areas humans shouldn't live in as many numbers as they live, but that's really only a problem for the people living in those areas.  They can move to places more suitable to human beings, as they should.
I'm going to need a cite for that too.  And where?  Certainly not where I live, you know, 'murica, with all our waste and guns, you'd think there wouldn't be anything left alive if you listen to a certain group of people.  Sure, some species are under more pressure than they were 40 years ago, other species are doing a lot better.
and it will have to be tackled.

We are certainly over populated in certain areas, but the planet can hold, feed, shelter, clothe and entertain a LOT of people.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies