Favorite Churches
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:49:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Favorite Churches
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Favorite Churches  (Read 7401 times)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2015, 06:32:11 PM »

This church in Rabat, Morocco looks awesome.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2015, 11:31:51 PM »

My church looks so different from a traditional church.  This is the campus I will be attending while at school (one of 19):    

There are a lot worse things that could be done architecturally with a former K-Mart. Judging by the website, it looks to be a typical multicampus megachurch, which is definitely not what I'm looking for in a church. Neither the format nor the theology appeals, especially its emphasis on prosperity theology to drive tithing.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2015, 11:37:46 PM »

Destroyed ones, preferably on fire if possible.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2015, 11:48:23 PM »

In terms of external architecture, these are my favorite churches in Minneapolis:

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2015, 11:52:23 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2015, 11:55:57 PM by sex-negative feminist prude »

This Hachiman shrine in Asamushi-onsen, Aomori Prefecture is pretty cool. It's the only shrine I've ever seen or heard of with a torii made of ductile iron pipe, or any kind of metal actually.

The temple Bodai-ji, also in Aomori Prefecture, is also neat.

The pictures are mine; I took them when I was there two years ago.

This thread is about architecture, not being 3edgy5me.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2015, 08:58:41 AM »

Fatima
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2015, 11:44:28 AM »

My church looks so different from a traditional church.  This is the campus I will be attending while at school (one of 19):    

There are a lot worse things that could be done architecturally with a former K-Mart. Judging by the website, it looks to be a typical multicampus megachurch, which is definitely not what I'm looking for in a church. Neither the format nor the theology appeals, especially its emphasis on prosperity theology to drive tithing.

While I understand that some people are looking for a more traditional church, and that this format isn't for everyone.  However, I am adamantly opposed to prosperity theology.  I think Newspring does a better job with this aspect than many megachurches.  Also, they do a good job of perpetuating a community and making you feel close to other people.  They have over 1000 people meeting in houses each week throughout the state. 
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2015, 01:15:13 PM »

First Presbyterian in St. Louis.  Cheesy

Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2015, 05:08:43 PM »

Just because you're an anarchist doesn't mean you have to be a dickwad, kid.

Thank you but no need to engage the troll. If he fails to see stunning manmade beauty very close to us, it's his loss as they are some of the world's greatest treasures. He can be miserable forever chasing a failed idea while aiming for utmost purity and allowing that to blind him.

Anyway, I did take the suggestion to see the Baltimore Cathedral earlier this summer. Greatly appreciate that. Would have never known of its existence without this thread.

Perhaps I shall try to compile a great album of the Main Line and Philly churches. I know some of the highlights, but the online photos are kind of eh. If the pope leaves me wandering the city for hours, I may have some time to go to the shrines (BTW, got my pope ticket today!!!)
But the structures right on Lancaster Ave are absolutely brilliant. I'll try to start on those. In the meantime, post good things or let the thread be please.
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2015, 05:13:08 PM »

Just because you're an anarchist doesn't mean you have to be a dickwad, kid.
Me being an anarchist has nothing to do with me being a dick.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2015, 06:13:00 PM »

The First Baptist Church of St. Petersburg sits next to the Cathedral Church of St. Peter (the Episcopal diocesan seat of southwestern Florida), but the Baptists moved out in the 90s. St. Peter's intended to sell or develop it, but preservationists wanted to save the property (and the law was on their side). The agreement reached allowed St. Peter's to tear down most of the building, but the massive neoclassical facade (one of the few buildings in the city in that style) still stands. St. Peter's has entered into talks to construct a condo building, an expansion of a local assisted living facility (the large brick building in the background of some of the pictures), a columbarium, and a parking garage, all of which seem to have fallen through. Its future now is uncertain, but it's really neat to drive past it in the evenings and see the sun shining through the stained glass.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2015, 06:40:12 AM »

However, I am adamantly opposed to prosperity theology.  I think Newspring does a better job with this aspect than many megachurches.  Also, they do a good job of perpetuating a community and making you feel close to other people.  They have over 1000 people meeting in houses each week throughout the state. 

When "Financial Planning" is a major emphasis of a church's website - albeit not the only emphasis - and everything in that section begins with the necessity of tithing, one can't say that prosperity theology isn't important to that church.  Even in a toned-down version, prosperity theology still conveys the idea that God's favor can be bought with our works.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies