Cabinet Reorganization Act of 2015 (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 02:06:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Cabinet Reorganization Act of 2015 (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cabinet Reorganization Act of 2015 (Passed)  (Read 3608 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« on: August 13, 2015, 04:34:48 AM »

The premise of this bill is, of course, to reduce the scope of federal government apparatus, which we have problems to fill already.

First, I can't see why shouldn't we return to census and elections run by one department. The SoFA's daily job would be to maintain the rolls with managing an election as a periodical job.

Similarly, the Secretary of Home Affairs would be mostly concerned with the stuff the SoIA is handling now, as prosecutions is a occasional task.

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 01:20:15 PM »

I think it makes sense to abolish the Attorney General, rather than combine it with the SoIA which has a very different remit, so you'll get people suited to one job but not the other and then whenever prosecutions are needed the President can just appoint a temporary prosecutor.

The Secretary of Home Affairs wouldn't have to run a prosecution. When I was an AG, I had appointed a special prosecutor on more than one occassion.

I don't think the President should be appointing a special prosecutor.

(Btw, the AG is important only when there's a court case. There's no need for a permanent cabinet position)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 05:33:39 AM »

If the president can remove the SoIA whenever he wants, and he also appoints them, doesn't it make sense that he should directly have the power to appoint a prosecutor?

It's also true that the president can dismiss the AG whenever he wants, so there isn't much difference between my proposal and the current situation, except mine would trim one permanent office.

OK, that's a fair point. Although I'm not sure whether President is more qualified to initiate a prosecution than a prospective Secretary of Home Affairs.

Here's an alternative proposal: abolish the Department of Justice and replace the AG with a non-cabinet rank of Solicitor General, whose job would be to initiate court cases and represent the government. Wiki duties (as well as overseeing the federal law enforcement, etc.) would be transferred to the SoIA.

What do you think?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 04:49:45 AM »

If the president can remove the SoIA whenever he wants, and he also appoints them, doesn't it make sense that he should directly have the power to appoint a prosecutor?

It's also true that the president can dismiss the AG whenever he wants, so there isn't much difference between my proposal and the current situation, except mine would trim one permanent office.

OK, that's a fair point. Although I'm not sure whether President is more qualified to initiate a prosecution than a prospective Secretary of Home Affairs.

Here's an alternative proposal: abolish the Department of Justice and replace the AG with a non-cabinet rank of Solicitor General, whose job would be to initiate court cases and represent the government. Wiki duties (as well as overseeing the federal law enforcement, etc.) would be transferred to the SoIA.

What do you think?

Does non cabinet rank mean not voted on by the senate?

Well, the GM is considered not a cabinet office, but is still a subject of confirmation. So are the Supreme Court Justices.

Personally, I'd still like to have the Solicitor General facing confirmation, given it still an important post.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 10:59:52 AM »

I'll gladly respond to all points raised within a few hours. I'm tied at the moment.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 01:14:22 AM »

All right, after reading most of the comments, this is the most compromise version I could possibly think of:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What do you think?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 05:06:45 PM »

I have no objections to PiT's amendment.

As of what Bore raised, I don't think it would be wise to a SG to serve as Senator. Too much potential conflicts.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 06:49:21 AM »

No objections from me
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 01:23:24 PM »

Seconded.

I think we clarified all issues that were raised and I see no new ones to address.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 04:12:15 PM »

Aye
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies