Cabinet Reorganization Act of 2015 (Passed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:15:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Cabinet Reorganization Act of 2015 (Passed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cabinet Reorganization Act of 2015 (Passed)  (Read 3598 times)
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« on: August 13, 2015, 08:39:31 AM »

I think it makes sense to abolish the Attorney General, rather than combine it with the SoIA which has a very different remit, so you'll get people suited to one job but not the other and then whenever prosecutions are needed the President can just appoint a temporary prosecutor.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 08:05:55 PM »

If the president can remove the SoIA whenever he wants, and he also appoints them, doesn't it make sense that he should directly have the power to appoint a prosecutor?

It's also true that the president can dismiss the AG whenever he wants, so there isn't much difference between my proposal and the current situation, except mine would trim one permanent office.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 05:54:32 PM »

If the president can remove the SoIA whenever he wants, and he also appoints them, doesn't it make sense that he should directly have the power to appoint a prosecutor?

It's also true that the president can dismiss the AG whenever he wants, so there isn't much difference between my proposal and the current situation, except mine would trim one permanent office.

OK, that's a fair point. Although I'm not sure whether President is more qualified to initiate a prosecution than a prospective Secretary of Home Affairs.

Here's an alternative proposal: abolish the Department of Justice and replace the AG with a non-cabinet rank of Solicitor General, whose job would be to initiate court cases and represent the government. Wiki duties (as well as overseeing the federal law enforcement, etc.) would be transferred to the SoIA.

What do you think?

Does non cabinet rank mean not voted on by the senate?
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 02:20:05 PM »

The way I look at it, we should only be tinkering with the cabinet now (what with the concon approaching) if it actually reduces the number of offices, which I don't think this would do.

Regarding the cabinet I've opened up applications for numerous vacancies and the only ones which have consistently (even now) received applications has been the RG. The SoFE has also been held for a very long time by homely, and he has done an excellent job. It seems to me that these are the least deserving posts to be merged or reduced. If we do want to do anything with them we should consider lifting the restriction on holding another office at the same time.

bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 07:03:46 PM »

This is fine by me. Is it necessary to clarify that you can be both a solicitor general and a senator, say?
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 03:37:32 PM »

The Attorney General can be a senator at the moment though.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 07:18:42 AM »

Why specifically a senator? Every office in this game could theoretically cause a conflict of interest, not to mention everyone not in office has some sort of grudge or history with the game that would also create a conflict of interest.
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 06:53:25 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

X Bore
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies