Bernie Sanders hires new black press secretary (who supports BLM) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:55:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Bernie Sanders hires new black press secretary (who supports BLM) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bernie Sanders hires new black press secretary (who supports BLM)  (Read 3245 times)
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« on: August 15, 2015, 04:25:26 PM »

This is clearly pandering as already has been said, so I don't need to elaborate. One doesn't win the black vote without having previous experience doing so. Vermont is only 1% Black, which means Sanders has probably encountered very few black voters. When you are an unknown entity to a bloc of voters and only begin to reach out to them when you need their voters, it tends to be a very hard sell.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 04:59:10 PM »

This is clearly pandering as already has been said, so I don't need to elaborate. One doesn't win the black vote without having previous experience doing so. Vermont is only 1% Black, which means Sanders has probably encountered very few black voters. When you are an unknown entity to a bloc of voters and only begin to reach out to them when you need their voters, it tends to be a very hard sell.

No. This is categorically not the reason. Unless you can prove it to me by showing me a way in which Hillary Clinton, who does have experience campaigning to Black people, is better at reaching Black voters than Sanders. Don't just say "she does better" I know that. I'm asking you a concrete example of HOW she's better than Bernie at talking to Black people. Unless you can give me an example of a specific way, it must be assumed that the reason for her success is name recognition/being married to Bill and nothing else.

It's all about name recognition, all about that. It's not about being better at talking to black people, it's about reaching voters without looking as if you are pandering or being condescending. Hillary Clinton is not a new name to many voters, including black voters and they know where she stands on most issues. In that sense, she doesn't have to pander.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 05:07:31 PM »

So you admit that Sanders hasn't done anything wrong and he's essentially screwed with the Black vote regardless?

I never said he did anything wrong. My point was about name recognition.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 05:28:05 PM »
« Edited: August 15, 2015, 05:30:55 PM by Invisible Obama »

So you admit that Sanders hasn't done anything wrong and he's essentially screwed with the Black vote regardless?

I never said he did anything wrong. My point was about name recognition.

No. Your point was about how Sanders can't win the Black vote because Vermont only has 1% Black people.

No. I didn't say he couldn't win the Black vote because Vermont is only 1% Black, what I was saying that is that he hasn't had much experience campaigning to black voters. Most black voters are not like the Black Lives Matter people who pushed him off stage, yet he reacted to that by hiring a black press secretary that supports the movement.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies