So John Kasich is an ex-Catholic
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:43:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  So John Kasich is an ex-Catholic
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: So John Kasich is an ex-Catholic  (Read 6752 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 13, 2015, 08:26:24 AM »

I like giving examples of such people whenever I find out about then (because of the inanity of the talking points that no one ever leaves the Catholic Church because of CULTURE) but would this affect the election in any way? Check out this talk about Tim Pawlenty: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=81383.25

I say no because while Catholic Republicans would care more than most people I don't see that being a deciding factor for anyone in say a Trump vs. Kasich primary. Which isn't going to happen because Kasich is a lot like Pawlenty in other aspects too, that being that he's boring and not the type of person who gets nominated for President.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 08:59:37 AM »
« Edited: August 13, 2015, 09:05:19 AM by Srs Trump Supporter »

This Pawlenty fan boy would never in a trillion years vote for Kasich.

Pawlenty is still effectively Catholic and converted for his wife. Iirc, "Courage to Stand" spoke proudly about the mix of Catholics and Lutherans and the great heritages of Minnesotans.

Kasich is barely religious. Fyi, brtd - his wiki "There's always going to be a part of me that considers myself a Catholic"

Is that not what we've been saying all along. You're losing the argument by bringing this up.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 09:00:24 AM »

Yet another reason not to vote for that bland loser.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 09:06:42 AM »

Pawlenty is still effectively Catholic and converted for his wife.

Kasich is barely religious.

Pretty sure Kasich, like Pawlenty and Rubio, is Catholic convert to Evangelical Christianity. Kasich's famous blow-up with big donors involved him citing religious reasons for pushing through the Obamacare Medicaid expansion.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 09:07:25 AM »

"would this affect the election in any way?"

No.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 09:11:08 AM »

Pretty sure Kasich, like Pawlenty and Rubio, is Catholic convert to Evangelical Christianity.

Rubio has basically gone back to Catholicism, though it's complicated.  More details here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2015/04/13/heres-what-we-know-about-marco-rubios-faith-of-many-colors/
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 09:12:19 AM »

One can leave the Church, but can the Church ever leave you?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 09:14:16 AM »

Pawlenty is still effectively Catholic and converted for his wife. Iirc, "Courage to Stand" spoke proudly about the mix of Catholics and Lutherans and the great heritages of Minnesotans.

Kasich is barely religious. Fyi, brtd - his wiki "There's always going to be a part of me that considers myself a Catholic"

Is that not what we've been saying all along. You're losing the argument by bringing this up.

Kasich "barely religious"Huh     and you won't vote for him b/c of this???   
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 09:18:39 AM »

Fine "barely" was clearly too strong and that certainly isn't the whole cause. Forgive me - I saw BRTD + Cultural Catholicism
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 09:32:43 AM »

I guess this could hurt him among Catholics. I don't care though (not that I would ever vote for him anyway).
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 09:49:49 AM »

Fine "barely" was clearly too strong and that certainly isn't the whole cause. Forgive me - I saw BRTD + Cultural Catholicism

I mean, the guy is constantly talking about how his faith has helped carry him through his personal trials and how we are all God's children.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 09:51:00 AM »

Pawlenty is still effectively Catholic and converted for his wife.

Kasich is barely religious.

Pretty sure Kasich, like Pawlenty and Rubio, is Catholic convert to Evangelical Christianity. Kasich's famous blow-up with big donors involved him citing religious reasons for pushing through the Obamacare Medicaid expansion.

I'm not sure whether you'd describe it as "evangelical" - he's a member of the ACNA, a group that split off from the Episcopalians as part of the Anglican realignment. Most folks classify them as "evangelical", but I understand the worship service and a lot of the theology isn't all that different from the (very, very) mainline Episcopal Church - mostly they're just called evangelical because they represent a conservative faction splintering over some hot-button social issues.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 09:53:28 AM »

I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of the 41% of raised Catholic Americans who no longer identify as such would NOT say something like that. Do you think any of the ex-Catholic hipster Christians I know do?
AelroseB

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 10:23:17 AM »

Yet another reason not to vote for that bland loser.

OK Ian Paisley, that's enough.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 10:58:33 AM »

Lean HP.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2015, 11:00:54 AM »

It seems like a lot of pols who were raised Catholic but either joined a different sect or just aren't very religious try to use their nominal Catholicism as some way of communicating their "white working class" bona fides. ("My ancestors weren't Episcopalian landed gentry or Quaker/Unitarian proto-SJWs or racist Baptist rednecks. They were Irish/Italian/German/Polish/etc and dad was a union man and grandma took in washing to pay our tuition at Sacred Heart and I was an altar boy...")

And some Democrats think that being Catholic means pro-life voters can't get mad at them for being pro-choice. (See: John Kerry 2004 and various Hispanic Texas Democrats who are wobbly on the issue)
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2015, 11:02:20 AM »

You're one to talk, Simfan, with your weird African voodoo Christianity. Everyone knows Greek Orthodox is best Orthodox.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2015, 11:05:03 AM »

I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of the 41% of raised Catholic Americans who no longer identify as such would NOT say something like that. Do you think any of the ex-Catholic hipster Christians I know do?

Sometimes I don't think you realize how unrepresentative your type of Christianity is.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2015, 11:10:01 AM »

No, I don't think an irrelevant cult's former Catholic members still identify as Catholic as they are part of a strange phenomenon that prefers strip club churches to beautiful ancient architecture.

I find it interesting that both Midwestern candidates that you brought up don't feel the same way as you do and still identify.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2015, 11:28:31 AM »

Pretty sure Kasich, like Pawlenty and Rubio, is Catholic convert to Evangelical Christianity.

Rubio has basically gone back to Catholicism, though it's complicated.  More details here:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2015/04/13/heres-what-we-know-about-marco-rubios-faith-of-many-colors/

Maybe he can work this into a defense of his flips on his own immigration reform bill. Like saying he was just guided by religious convictions that kept changing.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2015, 12:12:28 PM »

Sometimes I don't think you realize how unrepresentative your type of Christianity is.

Well you're an Episcopalian in Massachusetts, probably tons of ex-Catholics at your church then, do you think almost all or most would say something like that? (Serious question, I honestly don't know.)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2015, 12:39:08 PM »

Well you're an Episcopalian in Massachusetts, probably tons of ex-Catholics at your church then, do you think almost all or most would say something like that? (Serious question, I honestly don't know.)

'Almost all or most'? Maybe not. Enough that not saying so would not be a 'vast majority'? Definitely.

I'll concede that it's probably quite different among the I'm sure significantly greater numbers of former Catholics who've become evangelical as opposed to mainline. This is because evangelical Christianity sends every other religion or culture it touches down the memory hole as a point of pride.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2015, 12:48:27 PM »

'Almost all or most'? Maybe not. Enough that not saying so would not be a 'vast majority'? Definitely.

I'll concede that it's probably quite different among the I'm sure significantly greater numbers of former Catholics who've become evangelical as opposed to mainline. This is because evangelical Christianity sends every other religion or culture it touches down the memory hole as a point of pride.

Which is actually something that it shares in common with my whole subculture...which come to think of it actually explains a lot, such as why there is so much overlap between the two when they at first seem almost diametrically opposed.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2015, 01:02:36 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2015, 01:04:07 PM by Torie »

Your comment reminds me of what so impressed me with the religious culture at Chautauqua. It's mainline Protestant mostly. And it is all very much about secular politics, save the planet, income equality, racial equality, sexual preference equality, no more wars, peace on Earth. That was the topic sermon after sermon. That is what gives non-Evangelical Christianity meaning these days for many.  
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2015, 03:49:16 PM »

Shocking scandal! He will lose the Cstholic vote and do terrible with minorities, just like he did in Ohio!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies