The Tender Branson Repository of Sexist/Racist Posts and Pejoratives
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:02:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Tender Branson Repository of Sexist/Racist Posts and Pejoratives
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]
Author Topic: The Tender Branson Repository of Sexist/Racist Posts and Pejoratives  (Read 17933 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: March 11, 2016, 03:30:46 PM »

I wonder if Tender is as offensive in real life as he is here. I mean seriously, every day it's something new.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #176 on: March 11, 2016, 03:40:59 PM »

I wonder if Tender is as offensive in real life as he is here. I mean seriously, every day it's something new.

If he is, then it's a miracle his classmates didn't drown him in a toilet when he was at school.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #177 on: March 11, 2016, 04:22:50 PM »

"Corporate whore" is not sexist. Most Republicans (like Mitt Romney) are also corporate whores.

Again. When you call woman a "whore", it has this nasty ring about this.
a "corporate whore" doesn't have a gender, or rather, the gender of the person being called it is irrelevant.  If I call a group of people a bunch of "corporate whores" and several of them are women is it wrong?

Well, "wrong" is subjective, but I've reached a point in my life where I'd judge pretty much anyone who uses that word negatively. There's no need for it and everyone knows where it comes from and what it connotes. And throwing it around to describe Hillary Clinton and then trying to argue that it's not an attack on her gender—this being someone who is blazing trails for women and who's been subjected to it all—rings pretty hollow. No one ever called Mitt Romney a "corporate whore" even though I suspect he'd fit the definition more than almost anyone... and I think it's pretty obvious why no one thought to give him that moniker.
people called Mitt (and still do) a corporate whore.  It's an old term and I'm pretty sure it wasn't coined with women in mind.  I believe it came from punk.  First time I saw was on a Nirvana shirt I had in the 90s.  It means selling out.  Perhaps one shouldn't call a lady that even if she is, just so nobody ....ahem....gets their panties in a bunch, but that doesn't mean it has anything to do with gender.

I know I know, it doesn't matter what words mean, it's all about how offended someone gets to be it's perceived.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #178 on: March 11, 2016, 05:02:09 PM »

I didn't realize it was actually a popular phrase. I guess I've just kept out of circles that think it's appropriate to call anyone any type of whore. To be honest though, the fact that it's become a common saying raises other red flags for me. Whether you think I've got delicate sensibilities or not, "whore" means what it means, and normalizing derogatory expressions so that they become uncritical parts of colloquial language is hugely problematic. It entrenches sexism in everyday life, subtly reinforces hierarchies around social value, and creates invisible barriers for women who should really have the right to be taken seriously in the public sphere.

Laughing and scoffing at people who take offense just shows a discomfort at the thought of having to critically rethink one's privilege or genuinely reflect on one's own place in society. What's so threatening about being asked, for good reasons, to stop calling people whores? Especially when the person at the other end of the insult is a feminist icon to loads of people, for better or for worse?

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #179 on: March 11, 2016, 05:21:19 PM »

"Whore" is an awful thing to say. I never use this term and don't like when it's used around me.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #180 on: March 12, 2016, 12:38:28 AM »

Whore is indeed an ugly word, which is why it's part of the phrase "corporate whore".  "corporate sell out" doesn't have the same weight.  "corporate whore" has weight, but not gender, like that weird uncle at family reunions.  As a bonus, when somebody calls someone a corporate whore and the whore in question happens to be a lady, you guys get to work on your outrage muscle!  Really, it's a win for everybody.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #181 on: March 12, 2016, 12:53:47 AM »
« Edited: March 12, 2016, 12:58:55 AM by MW Representative RFayette »

Are we seriously having a discussion on whether or not it's appropriate to call a woman a whore?

I'm not an SJW by any means, but come on guys; it's not exactly too much to ask to refrain from those types of phrases.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #182 on: April 11, 2016, 11:21:11 PM »

I know homophobia is not formally included in the title, but I think that's still relevant here.

One would think one wouldn't want to pour out their life troubles to someone who would otherwise turn them away if the government didn't force them to listen for hours.

Oh wait no, considering the people in question, they probably would.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies