The Tender Branson Repository of Sexist/Racist Posts and Pejoratives
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 15, 2024, 11:55:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Tender Branson Repository of Sexist/Racist Posts and Pejoratives
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: The Tender Branson Repository of Sexist/Racist Posts and Pejoratives  (Read 18010 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2015, 05:34:16 PM »

Look, Sanders definitely has a chance.

The witch was once defeated by Obama and Sanders is already building a strong momentum accross the US.

The first thing you non-believing guys need to do, is to switch that button in your heads to "Yes, Bernie CAN defeat her". And then he eventually will. In the next months, more and more Democrats and Indys will see the light at the end of that filthy, bloodless tunnel called "Hillary Clinton" and switch over to the "real guy".

How is this "misogynistic" ?

This comment is only true for Hillary - not for other women. I'm a big champion for women's rights.

It is not misogynistic, as that would mean a post based on a belief that men are superior to women. It is pejorative in that it uses an insulting or disparaging term to describe Hillary. However, the question for Nagas is do you only intend to to put up posts that have pejoratives directed at women or will pejoratives used with men and male candidates go here as well? Why conflate misogyny and pejorative use?

The difference is that this is a specifically gendered pejorative. Nobody would describe Bill Clinton as a "witch".

And, in my experience, "asshole" and "bastard" are traditionally reserved for males. In most cases, need to insult a male, use a male insult, need to insult a female, use a female insult. There are, of course, gender neutral phrases such as "idiot", but those can only take us so far. What's your point?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2015, 07:30:38 PM »

The witch was once defeated by Obama and Sanders is already building a strong momentum accross the US.

The first thing you non-believing guys need to do, is to switch that button in your heads to "Yes, Bernie CAN defeat her". And then he eventually will. In the next months, more and more Democrats and Indys will see the light at the end of that filthy, bloodless tunnel called "Hillary Clinton" and switch over to the "real guy".

This comment is only true for Hillary - not for other women. I'm a big champion for women's rights.

It is not misogynistic, as that would mean a post based on a belief that men are superior to women. It is pejorative in that it uses an insulting or disparaging term to describe Hillary. However, the question for Nagas is do you only intend to to put up posts that have pejoratives directed at women or will pejoratives used with men and male candidates go here as well? Why conflate misogyny and pejorative use?

The difference is that this is a specifically gendered pejorative. Nobody would describe Bill Clinton as a "witch".

And, in my experience, "asshole" and "bastard" are traditionally reserved for males. In most cases, need to insult a male, use a male insult, need to insult a female, use a female insult. There are, of course, gender neutral phrases such as "idiot", but those can only take us so far. What's your point?

Neither of those terms are gendered.
RedPrometheus

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2015, 07:45:00 PM »

And men were never killed for being called "just" "assholes" or "bastards". Women on the other were killed for being called "witch". And that systematically. I have never heard a person who was really for equal rights calling a woman a witch.

This thread though definitely shows that some people on this forum should think about their attitude towards women. Especially on the 2016 board.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2015, 08:42:15 PM »

No, not explicitly. Thus, the phrase "in my experience". Men are sometimes called "bitches", even though the term is explicitly gendered, for God's sake.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2015, 11:00:02 PM »

No, not explicitly. Thus, the phrase "in my experience". Men are sometimes called "bitches", even though the term is explicitly gendered, for God's sake.

when a man is called a pussy or a bitch, it's using femininity as a proxy for weakness. still an expression of misogyny.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2015, 07:21:37 AM »

when a man is called a pussy or a bitch, it's using femininity as a proxy for weakness. still an expression of misogyny.

If someone is called a bitch, a "malicious, spiteful, or overbearing woman", it does not denote weakness nor is it misogyny. It is equivalent to calling someone a prick, a "spiteful or contemptible man", which is not misandry. Neither denote a hatred of the other gender (misogyny and misandry), though both terms (bitch and prick) are gender-derived pejoratives. (definitions from Merriam-Webster.com)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2015, 08:37:32 AM »

The connotations of witch has always been to smear and stigmatize powerful women, so of course it expresses misogyny.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2015, 08:42:56 AM »

Some people think Atlas is Tumblr?
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2015, 09:13:14 AM »

The connotations of witch has always been to smear and stigmatize powerful women, so of course it expresses misogyny.

No. To express misogyny it requires the application to most if not all powerful women. If it used uniquely it is an insult, but that doesn't make it misogyny. To use my gender-reversed example consider these two statements.

"My boss is a prick."
"All men who manage others are pricks."

In the first case there is no evidence of misandry. In the second case there is. In both cases the word is pejorative, but the context of the word is important to its support its connection to a sexist classification.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2015, 10:51:30 AM »

I really doubt that powerful women, often split by both class and ethnic lines throughout history, have the same insular history as, say, African-Americans, to the point that a word used by 19th century racists still has a connotation similar enough to become almost completely taboo. Even though I'm white, male, and--worst of all--nominally right-wing, I'd like to think of the human mind as capable enough to distinguish between what could be referred to as individual and collective insults. The "n-word" and other racist words are, in a number of cases, used to refer to an entire demographic. The fact that some rednecks make the distinction between "good blacks" and "n-words" is irrelevant, as it derives from the original use of the term. "Witch" does not refer to the whole of the female population. Even if it was some magical buzzword back in the day to oppress women in general, it clearly isn't now. I suppose girls slathering on green makeup and black hats on October 31st ought to be stigmatized as much as blackface.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2015, 01:30:15 PM »

You can smell the fear Republicans have against facing Hillary. They cry foul over and over again, waste time on a dozen Congressional hearings, and accuse her of wrong doing, and she always comes out clean. That these pity 'scandals' get blown up to gigantic out of proportion media monsters is indicative that the Republicans can't match her on substance.

I do fear facing her because she will win the female vote by a wide margin, and only Bush & Rubio can close the gap with other groups to have a 50/50 chance of victory, in Bush's case maybe even 51/49. Just as the Democrats want to run against Trump, I want to run against Sanders or O'Malley. In fact, I would rather run against O'Malley because I'd love to watch him lose where as I respect Sanders despite my disagreements with him on everything. Hillary is going to offer single women who can't control themselves free contraception, and she will offer lazy men who want free cell phones free stuff. I wish liberal single women would learn to buy their own contraception, and lazy men would actually go to school or work but that isn't happening, so it's Obama and Clinton to the rescue.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2015, 01:35:25 PM »

Muh soggy knee. Seriously, that term gets thrown around so much that it has lost any and all punch it may have had.

I do kind of wish people would go back to just saying 'sexism' for things that don't actually involve hating women. Whatever happened to that word?

You raise a good point, I'll probably change the name.

However, the question for Nagas is do you only intend to to put up posts that have pejoratives directed at women or will pejoratives used with men and male candidates go here as well? Why conflate misogyny and pejorative use?

Yes, only sexist remarks against women. A sexist remark against a women compared to one against a man are always going to be inherently unequal. Not to mention that the bulk of loaded language is against women in the SQ.

Please delete my name from this thread, and stop misrepresenting my statements.

When you defended yourself, you literally gave an answer that fit into my description of your views. You represented yourself quite clearly.

Can we also add casual racism and extreme failure to understand the basics of how race works?

Good suggestion, I'll think about it. Committing racist/sexist/homophobic/trans phobic remarks/pejoratives into one thread and then letting the ignorance/bad post mine set itself apart could be an interesting division.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2015, 02:18:47 PM »

But if these posts are examples of blatant sexism (or racism) they should be reported and moderated, not saved for posterity.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2015, 09:56:23 AM »

But if these posts are examples of blatant sexism (or racism) they should be reported and moderated, not saved for posterity.
Don't let that stand in the way of a good old fashioned Atlas witch hunt/progressive back slappery!
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2015, 10:22:28 AM »

DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2015, 01:10:04 PM »

NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2015, 03:57:23 PM »

#BanBossy #BanWitch #BanMen
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2015, 04:29:41 PM »

I suspect there's a lot of overlap between the MRA/Red Pill movement and Bernie Sanders supporters. They certainly seem to use a lot of the same rhetoric, as NeverAgain and Tender Branson show.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2015, 04:31:54 PM »

Last year 3,600 asylum seekers arrived in Finland. The estimate for this year is up to 30,000 asylum seekers. That's an eightfold increase to the previous year. The flood gates are open, and Finland is set to become the new Sweden.

In a populist move to gather political points among those naive enough to support the wave of asylum seekers (and perhaps to deliberately annoy his coalition partner, the Finns Party), our Prime Minister Juha Sipilä (Centre Party) has decided to offer his own house in Kempele, Northern Finland, as an accomodation for circa 20 asylum seekers.

With the news of this spreading internationally, I can only guess that his decision will lead to an influx of thousands more.

http://yle.fi/uutiset/pm_sipila_pledges_oulu_home_to_refugees/8282824

I am amazed by Finland doing this, the Nordic country that could have saved itself. Why don't politicians see what's happening to Sweden? I'd surely feel f**ked if I would have voted for the Finns Party.

Don't worry, they are seeing it. But they are leading Europe into the abyss with their eyes wide open. In their quest to transform Europe into an impoverished wasteland like Syria and Africa ...
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2015, 11:14:41 PM »

Muh soggy knee. Seriously, that term gets thrown around so much that it has lost any and all punch it may have had.

Misogyny is pronounced with a soft g ("juh") but "soggy" has a hard g (as in giraffe).

You pronounce giraffe with a hard g?

Doh

Ghee-raffe?
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2015, 12:40:37 AM »

I suspect there's a lot of overlap between the MRA/Red Pill movement and Bernie Sanders supporters. They certainly seem to use a lot of the same rhetoric, as NeverAgain and Tender Branson show.

Mate, I hope you are joking. Otherwise here is my rant: I am by no means a Men's Right's Activist Nor A Feminist, I am an Equalist. I was making light of the #BanBossy movement that was silly as this thread is silly. I will take this as a troll and just not finish this rant.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2015, 12:49:58 AM »

Mate, I hope you are joking. Otherwise here is my rant: I am by no means a Men's Right's Activist Nor A Feminist, I am an Equalist. I was making light of the #BanBossy movement that was silly as this thread is silly. I will take this as a troll and just not finish this rant.

wtf?

You're aware that feminism is about equality of the sexes, right? This includes the small minority of cases where men find some sort of disadvantage to women.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2015, 01:31:53 AM »

wtf?

You're aware that feminism is about equality of the sexes, right? This includes the small minority of cases where men find some sort of disadvantage to women.

SOME SORT? Do you know how many bitches be stealing my sperm?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2015, 01:22:50 PM »

I am by no means a Men's Right's Activist Nor A Feminist, I am an Equalist.

rofl
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2015, 02:40:28 PM »

I am by no means a Men's Right's Activist Nor A Feminist, I am an Equalist.
Translation:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies