Townhall Debate for the Southern Gubernatorial Election - Ask Questions!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:42:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Townhall Debate for the Southern Gubernatorial Election - Ask Questions!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Townhall Debate for the Southern Gubernatorial Election - Ask Questions!  (Read 339 times)
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 14, 2015, 11:32:58 PM »

Hello! Me and darthebearnc have agreed to hold a townhall debate--you can ask us whatever questions you'd like! (Specifically about things pertaining to the position of South Governor.)
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 12:04:18 AM »

First of all, I'd like to thank Leinad for creating this thread and look forward to an interesting campaign.

I am extremely excited to be able to participate in this debate, and look forward to answering questions from the members of my region.

For information on my platform, please go hither:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=217527.0

With that, let the debate begin! Cheesy All Southern citizens are encouraged to ask both of the candidates questions regarding our platforms, positions, experience, and ideas.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 12:31:46 AM »

There is a strong possibility that consolidation would come to pass either in a Con-Con or separately. Would you fight to preserve the South as a region in a post consolidation map drawing effort?
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 09:23:24 AM »

There is a strong possibility that consolidation would come to pass either in a Con-Con or separately. Would you fight to preserve the South as a region in a post consolidation map drawing effort?

Hi! Cheesy Thanks for asking a question!

I strongly support the concept of regional consolidation (either three or four regions is fine), and hope that a resolution is eventually passed supporting this measure. However, I would only support said resolution if there was still a mainly-Southern region in the game. Of course, I would be fine if we gained a few states, but I wouldn't stand for, say, allowing the South to be split into two and glued onto other regions. If a measure advocating this kind of split is introduced, I will do everything within my power to oppose it and make sure that it is not passed.

If I am Governor during the Con-Con, I will make sure that our region only appoints delegates who support maintaining a Southern region, and refuse to allow our region to be split or parts of it taken off.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 10:34:41 AM »
« Edited: August 16, 2015, 10:37:26 AM by Leinad, Southern Legislator »

Thank you for the question, Senator!

Yes. I'd like to see the South remain as a region, but the most important thing is that Atlasia remains as a nation. These two goals can both be reached, and if I'm Governor, I'll focus on making sure these goals are reached.

A vicious cycle has been created: low activity leads to a mass exodus and a new game, which also leads to a mass exodus, and that has contributed to even lower activity. The Constitutional Convention can reverse this cycle. Consolidation would increase the active-player-to-office ratio--thus increasing competitiveness, one of the main symptoms and I'd argue one of the main causes of the inactivity. One of the things we need to realize is that consolidation is a reform, not the reform. Other things must be done to get this nation on the right track.

I'll make the case for a flexible consolidation plan that will create 4 regions, including a South with all of it's current states, and then after a certain set time period after the Convention--maybe 3 months or so--there will be a built-in mechanism for a vote to bring it to 3 regions if that's deemed necessary.

To any skeptics, starting at 4 regions is radical enough: it would cut down on at least 5 regional offices, plus 2-3 Senators--that's a decrease of 7-8 offices in total; which, coupled with other reforms, should increase competitiveness. And if it doesn't, the clause to bring it to 3 should do the trick, if anything does. These types of ideas, and the openness to incorporate the suggestions of others into my ideas, are what I bring to the table.

If elected as Governor, it will be my responsibility to keep the South intact. Whether 4, 3, or even 2 regions, I think that it's a needed component to have the area within our borders stay as part of the same region. This is an accomplishable goal, and I will definitely work to accomplish it not only at the Con-Con, but using my powers, including that of the bully pulpit, as South Governor.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies