Huckabee would not support abortion rights for victims of child rape
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:51:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Huckabee would not support abortion rights for victims of child rape
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Huckabee would not support abortion rights for victims of child rape  (Read 936 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 16, 2015, 02:30:17 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Article.

I think his words speak for themselves.
pho
iheartpho
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -1.39

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 03:35:33 PM »

...and people think Trump gives the GOP a bad rap.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 03:57:50 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2015, 04:05:42 PM by mvd10 »

Well, I can actually understands this position. He fully believes life starts at conception and if you fully believe life starts at conception this actually is an understandable position. If life starts at conception abortion would be murder no matter what. Saying you believe life starts at conception and abortion is murder but you agree that abortion should be allowed in rape cases is the same as saying I think murdering babies is wrong but I would allow it if they were born out of a rape.

However if you don't believe life starts at conception this is a ridiculous stance (and like most people I don't believe a fetus of 6/7 weeks let alone a few days really is a little person, even though I don't like the idea of abortion, so I fully support abortion for raped women and especially raped children). Perhaps the stance that life begins at conception is ridiculous but I'm not really an expert on that.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 05:52:26 PM »

Huckabee is the only honestly pro-life candidate. All the others just use the issue for votes.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 05:56:01 PM »

You should be happy he's being intellectually consistent. This is an easy position to take if you believe the fetus is a person.

I love how all of the libertarians on here (well, really, it's just something I've noticed about these two in particular) are just like their physician role model and the statists they supposedly despise: hardcore libertarian until it comes to deeply-held personal beliefs, at which point the state should enforce them upon everyone else.

You shouldn't be happy at all!
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 06:10:18 PM »

Huckabee has held this position since rocks cooled. I do have this fantasy however of Huckabee getting raped, and then getting pregnant, but alas ... Sad
HillOfANight
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 06:14:59 PM »

This is not news. Huckabee has always been crazy. What should have been news is Rubio announcing the same position during the debates.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 06:17:00 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2015, 06:20:51 PM by Torie »

You should be happy he's being intellectually consistent. This is an easy position to take if you believe the fetus is a person.

I love how all of the libertarians on here (well, really, it's just something I've noticed about these two in particular) are just like their physician role model and the statists they supposedly despise: hardcore libertarian until it comes to deeply-held personal beliefs, at which point the state should enforce them upon everyone else.

Actually, neither took a position on the matter, and merely pointed out the obvious, that if you believe that a fetus has rights equal to a homo sapien running around outside the womb, then obviously the lesser evil is for the woman to "grin and bear it."  I don't believe that, and you don't believe that, and most people don't believe that, and even the Catholic Church does not believe that (if the choice is between saving the mother or the fetus, the fetus loses, as opposed to flipping a coin or whatever), and these two posters might not believe that, but if one does, than Huckabee is absolutely correct as to the correct public policy.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 06:18:32 PM »

This is not news. Huckabee has always been crazy. What should have been news is Rubio announcing the same position during the debates.

I don't think so. That was Walker (who knew not really what he did I strongly suspect, because he's "challenged").
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 06:23:48 PM »

Remember, guys, Donald Trump is the joke in this race.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 06:33:42 PM »

I don't think so. That was Walker (who knew not really what he did I strongly suspect, because he's "challenged").

No, Megyn asked Rubio why his abortion policy allowed exceptions for incest/rape (I think relating it not matching the exact Catholic position on the issue) and Rubio vehemently clarified that it did not, and that he is against abortion in all cases.

I'm not sure what Rubio's position is when the life of the mother is threatened, but we can be pretty sure that Rubio would agree with Huckabee on this one, unless he's flip-flopped again.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 06:45:09 PM »

... They have the same position on murder. Care to criticize them not being anarchists and believing government should protect life?
Abraham Reagan
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 2.96

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 06:49:00 PM »

OH NO! A CANDIDATE ACTUALLY STICKING TO HIS POSITIONS EVEN WHEN IT'S NOT POPULAR, HOW HORRIBLE!

If he said he would support abortion in this case, you'd be calling him a hypocrite. So I guess if you can't win, then it's at least best to stick to your guns. It's kinda the same thing with libertarianism - how you can't take the massive cuts to spending without also taking the legalization of drugs and dismantling of the military. You have to accept the whole deal.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2015, 09:50:34 PM »

Yeah, Rubio did take the same position during the debate, making the idea that he's the strongest general election candidate ridiculous.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2015, 10:03:50 PM »

Remember, guys, Donald Trump is the joke in this race.

Can't there be multiple joke candidates?
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2015, 10:11:20 PM »

Huckabee is a social conservative. News at 11.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2015, 10:18:16 PM »

Huckabee is a social conservative. News at 11.

Most social conservatives don't take their anti-abortion positions to this extreme. Most people aren't so inflexibly absolute on issues in general.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2015, 10:18:40 PM »

Huckabee has held this position since rocks cooled. I do have this fantasy however of Huckabee getting raped, and then getting pregnant, but alas ... Sad

You're sounding like Einzige, dude.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2015, 10:23:11 PM »

I would think that supporting such an exception would be supporting genocide.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2015, 10:39:44 PM »

While the GOP has always been the pro-life party they have never nominated anyone who didn't have the usual standard exceptions of rape, incest and life of the mother (and I believe health of the mother).

This year quite a few of the GOP candidates are against at least the rape and incest exception, including Carson, Cruz, Rubio, Walker, Santorum and Huckabee. And some are against even the life of the mother, notably Walker. When you look at polling, the view that abortion should be illegal in all cases has only around 15-20% support.

Even the vast majority of Republicans are in favor of exceptions. The no exceptions position is not a winning issue. It is not viewed as being principled, it is viewed as being extremist and insensitive.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 11:48:37 PM »

While the GOP has always been the pro-life party they have never nominated anyone who didn't have the usual standard exceptions of rape, incest and life of the mother (and I believe health of the mother).

This year quite a few of the GOP candidates are against at least the rape and incest exception, including Carson, Cruz, Rubio, Walker, Santorum and Huckabee. And some are against even the life of the mother, notably Walker. When you look at polling, the view that abortion should be illegal in all cases has only around 15-20% support.

Even the vast majority of Republicans are in favor of exceptions. The no exceptions position is not a winning issue. It is not viewed as being principled, it is viewed as being extremist and insensitive.

Palin was against abortion in the case of rape.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2015, 12:02:02 AM »

Palin was against abortion in the case of rape.

Palin is not the face of the Republican party. (That should be obvious after she refused to endorse Parnell for reelection last year, but whatever)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2015, 12:08:23 AM »

Actually, neither took a position on the matter, and merely pointed out the obvious, that if you believe that a fetus has rights equal to a homo sapien running around outside the womb, then obviously the lesser evil is for the woman to "grin and bear it."  I don't believe that, and you don't believe that, and most people don't believe that, and even the Catholic Church does not believe that (if the choice is between saving the mother or the fetus, the fetus loses, as opposed to flipping a coin or whatever), and these two posters might not believe that, but if one does, than Huckabee is absolutely correct as to the correct public policy.

I've seen at least one - if not both (I admit, I get the two mixed up) - criticize abortion elsewhere.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2015, 04:32:06 AM »

It makes more sense than opposing abortion in general but thinking it is okay for rape.
If you think a there should be a rape exception it seens more like you just want to use the law to make peiple take responsi ility for their actions rather than desiring to save lives.

As pointed out it is the logical position for someone who believes life begins at conception. There is nothing crazy about it, although yes it is outside the mainstream.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies