Was Adi Sankara crypto-Buddhist?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:47:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Was Adi Sankara crypto-Buddhist?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Was Adi Sankara crypto-Buddhist?
Yes

No

He who feeds you, controls you

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: Was Adi Sankara crypto-Buddhist?  (Read 1070 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 30, 2016, 03:17:14 AM »

Arguments for:

• Dialectical philosophy
  • Apophatic
  • His Brahman bears a distinct family resemblance to Nagarjuna's sunyata

Arguments against:

• Affirmed the existence of atman
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 10:19:56 AM »

Most people don't at hand know who who Adi Shankara is. Nor are they familiar with the arguments in favour of considering someone who is perhaps over revered as influential in Hindu philosophy as crypto Buddhist. That would require familiarity with both Hinduism, Buddhism and any overlap between them with respect to their development. You might not get much response on that basis without leaving anything to chew on.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 01:21:36 PM »

Most people don't at hand know who who Adi Shankara is. Nor are they familiar with the arguments in favour of considering someone who is perhaps over revered as influential in Hindu philosophy as crypto Buddhist. That would require familiarity with both Hinduism, Buddhism and any overlap between them with respect to their development. You might not get much response on that basis without leaving anything to chew on.
Yeah, I'm probably one of the few on here who even knows who he is without looking him up.

I vote No. While he might have had Buddhist influence, he's definitely Hindu. Buddhism rejects or doesn't concern itself with the existence of an eternal individual soul (atman) and a God/Cosmic Energy Force (brahman). That's a main point of Buddhism. But the existence of atman/brahman (and of atman=brahman) are a main point of Hinduism, and of Adi Shankara's beliefs/philosophy.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 10:47:03 AM »

It was quite common for Brāhmiṇical philosophers, especially Vedāntins, to cop a few Buddhist arguments in order to critique realist schools inside the "Hindu" fold, like Nyāya and Vaiśeṣika.  And it was also common for Nyāya and Vaiśeṣika opponents in response to label the Brāhmiṇical thinkers who did cop those arguments as "crypto-Buddhists."  But, as Blue3 rightly points out, Śańkara was certainly a genuine Vedāntin given his single-minded determination to establish the reality of ātman.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 12:40:26 AM »

I voted "He who feeds you, controls you". Now I feel silly.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 04:50:28 AM »

Well I mean obviously believing in, to say nothing out of actively arguing for, the existence of atman pretty much disqualifies you from being any type of orthodox Buddhist, which is why I voted 'No', but I found it interesting that the accusation had been made and, frankly, just wanted to make the poll on this forum because of the guy's name.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies