Are you a Christian, Muslim, Jewish, or Atheist?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:59:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Are you a Christian, Muslim, Jewish, or Atheist?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Religious affiliation
Christian

Muslim

Jewish

Atheist

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 102

Author Topic: Are you a Christian, Muslim, Jewish, or Atheist?  (Read 7667 times)
twistory123
Rookie
Peru

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2015, 08:24:59 PM »

i am Christian
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2015, 09:02:10 PM »

Tridentine Roman Catholic with some Hasidic Jewish Ancestry.

Tridentine! That's interesting! Out of curiosity, how did your family end up going to Tridentine Mass: were your grandparents Vatican II resistance type or did your family start going to Latin Mass once it was regularized last decade (or whenever that occurred in your diocese)?
My grandmother was a deep daily mass catholic for her whole life, she had 4 siblings who went into either priesthood or became a nun. She always went to Tridentine Mass. My grandfather, my aunt a Sister of St. Joseph and her we're all resistance types and didn't like the churches progressive swing. So that's how my dad was raised and how I'm being raised and how I'all raise my kids

Good for you Classic Conservative! I am not a Tridentine Mass attendee myself but I have a lot of respect for you guys. Every Latin Mass attending Catholic have ever known in real life has really impressed me by their devotion and how they live their lives as exemplary Christians. I know there are people who say nasty things on the internet (both within the traditionalist crowd and others about the traditionalist crowd), but I think too often people within the Church dismiss the voices of the traditionalist side without proper consideration. For instance, I often hear people exclaim that if Mass was in Latin, no one would know what is going on, yet it seems that the people who go to it in Latin almost unfailingly understand what is going a lot better than most of us who go in English Tongue

In the town I grew up in in Ohio, there was no such thing as the Latin Mass; that had died out in 1965 with barely a blip. Indeed, I had never even heard it was celebrated (and never considered the matter whatsoever) until college when my roommate was a Catholic who woke up at 7am every Sunday to drive into the middle of the 'hood in Cleveland to go to the Tridentine Mass. I must say his witness and willingness to do things that are hard definitely made an impression on me and got me to ask some uncomfortable questions about my own faith life. I still go to the Novus Ordo Mass in English every Sunday but maybe someday I will make that jump. There is a surprisingly large number of Catholics in academia who were raised going to the Novus Ordo Mass who have switched to going to the Tridentine Mass. People say it's a thing of the past, but I personally suspect it is also a thing of the future (not in our lifetimes, but in a few centuries perhaps). I really do think that's where the Catholic intelligencia is headed, slowly but surely, albeit in small ways the media doesn't pick up on. It's interesting that back in Cleveland the only people who went to Latin Mass were the Vatican II resistance types whose families did so for decades, but in Madison, most of the Latin Mass goers I've encountered were raised going to the Novus Ordo Mass. Time will tell.

Personally, I'm not terribly particular about the Mass as long as it's celebrated reverently and done in such a way as to lead people to Christ. I think practicing the faith devoutly regardless of the forum is the most important thing.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2015, 09:26:46 PM »

I am curious, if it isn't too personal, and if you haven't done so on this forum yet about your personal religious experience. How you became a Christian. For example, did it happen over time or did you have some kind of experience that converted you. Not important if it too personal, but people's stories interest me.

I suppose it happened over time. I have thought of myself as a Christian for a long time. I have gradually grown more devout over the years.

I'm still in the process of growing in my faith. There are still changes I need to make in my life. I strive to serve and please God, and I need to try harder in my efforts to do that.

Out of curiosity, how do you interpret John 10:16, the whole "I have other sheep not of this fold" verse? Obviously my church (I am LDS) interprets it to partially mean the people described in the Book of Mormon, but of course for churches and people who don't believe in the Book of Mormon, that's a non-starter argument. So what's your view on that verse?

It's referring to the sheep outside of Israel, or Gentiles.

All Gentiles, or a certain group? If all, then why didn't Jesus show up in areas outside the general Israel/Holy Land area?
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2015, 09:29:04 PM »

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2015, 12:27:27 PM »

Well there's the fact that believing in the impregnation of a virgin and her subsequent giving birth to God in the flesh who died and then rose from the dead and will be coming back at some point, in the *near future*, we swear! is sort of incompatible with modernity.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2015, 01:00:59 PM »

Christian.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2015, 01:21:37 PM »

If anyone wanted more choices...
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=217757.0
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2015, 10:53:25 AM »

I too am a  fundamental christian. I guess you can say.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2015, 11:28:44 PM »

Christianity is a sect of Judaism,
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2015, 11:36:37 PM »

Agnostic*
MisSkeptic
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2015, 01:00:30 AM »

I'm all of the above.

No, I self Identify as an atheist
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2015, 07:52:15 PM »

I'm an athejew
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2015, 10:20:49 AM »

These options seem awfully limited.
Why
Unbiased
Australia

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2015, 11:15:59 AM »

I am curious, if it isn't too personal, and if you haven't done so on this forum yet about your personal religious experience. How you became a Christian. For example, did it happen over time or did you have some kind of experience that converted you. Not important if it too personal, but people's stories interest me.

I suppose it happened over time. I have thought of myself as a Christian for a long time. I have gradually grown more devout over the years.

I'm still in the process of growing in my faith. There are still changes I need to make in my life. I strive to serve and please God, and I need to try harder in my efforts to do that.

Out of curiosity, how do you interpret John 10:16, the whole "I have other sheep not of this fold" verse? Obviously my church (I am LDS) interprets it to partially mean the people described in the Book of Mormon, but of course for churches and people who don't believe in the Book of Mormon, that's a non-starter argument. So what's your view on that verse?

It's referring to the sheep outside of Israel, or Gentiles.

All Gentiles, or a certain group? If all, then why didn't Jesus show up in areas outside the general Israel/Holy Land area?

All gentiles.
Jesus was a Jew, he grew up in that area and preached to them primarily. However he also commanded is apostles to teach to far more than Jews. The Apostle Paul was the major preacher in this regard and helped spread the gospel.
Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2015, 12:17:02 PM »

I'm an Ex-Christian.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2015, 12:29:36 AM »

😢
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2016, 10:17:52 PM »

You realize that the vast majority of "Unaffiliated/Non-Religious/Secular" people are NOT atheists, right?  Something like 70% even firmly describe having a belief in some type of higher being/creator, just not one a religion has described.
NerdyBohemian
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2016, 11:14:17 AM »

Atheist who considers himself culturally Roman Catholic.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2016, 12:35:59 PM »

I too am a  fundamental christian. I guess you can say.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2016, 04:26:15 PM »

Muslim - Sunni
JackV982
JackSchirmdog982
Rookie
United States

« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2016, 09:50:31 PM »

I am a Christian.
Weyfield
Rookie
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2016, 01:06:12 AM »

Raised Catholic, 'converted' to atheism when I was about 11. The mere existence of more than one religion disproves all of them. Why would someone create us and make one of our purposes in life to worship them (basing this mostly on Christian ideals, not well-versed in the others) and then give us the capacity to make up other religions?
Not attacking anyone's beliefs by the way, or trying to insult anyone. Just explaining a little bit of my reasoning.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2016, 11:58:59 PM »

I am a Catholic, a Knight of Columbus, and in the process of becoming a Oblate at a Benedictine abbey.
Hillary pays minimum wage
United States

« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2016, 01:48:48 AM »

There's an unprecedented number of atheists here compared the general US population.  I'm not picking bones but it does say something about the demographics of atlas.  Anyways I was baptized Catholic and raised Lutheran and find myself theologically between the two.  I'd like to go for my Master's next year. 
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2016, 10:07:36 AM »

Raised Catholic, 'converted' to atheism when I was about 11. The mere existence of more than one religion disproves all of them. Why would someone create us and make one of our purposes in life to worship them (basing this mostly on Christian ideals, not well-versed in the others) and then give us the capacity to make up other religions?
Not attacking anyone's beliefs by the way, or trying to insult anyone. Just explaining a little bit of my reasoning.

Allow me to answer your question; because he loves us enough to give us free will. Instead of things who can't think for themselves, we are able to worship who we want, love whenever we want, and destroy whatever we want. He still loves no matter all of that. I'll answer any other questions you have, if you want.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies