Walker (and others) join Trump, calling for ending birthright citizenship (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:03:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Walker (and others) join Trump, calling for ending birthright citizenship (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Walker (and others) join Trump, calling for ending birthright citizenship  (Read 11335 times)
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« on: August 17, 2015, 04:05:55 PM »
« edited: August 17, 2015, 04:12:13 PM by Assemblyman Superman »

Will this require a constitutional amendment??

Only if one considers the spawn of foreign nationals to be subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. (A contradiction in terms)
I guess that makes me a "spawn of foreign nationals", considering that neither of my parents were citizens when I was born in America? What party are you part of, anyways? Millard Fillmore's Know-Nothings?

I just lost a ton of respect for Walker.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 04:33:14 PM »

Only if one considers the spawn of foreign nationals to be subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. (A contradiction in terms)
I guess that makes me a "spawn of foreign nationals", considering that neither of my parents were citizens when I was born in America? What party are you part of, anyways? Millard Fillmore's Know-Nothings?

I know nothing about your or any other poster's personal circumstances, as you are just a blue map of Connecticut as far as I know.

In any case, I fail to see why opposition to granting citizenship to those who do not even have permission for residency merits such righteous indignation.
My parents came here legally and became citizens.

America is a nation of immigrants, and we should be more accepting of those who come here hoping for a better life. Immigration should be easier, not more restrictive. The 14th Amendment grants citizenship to all people born in America, regardless of where their parents come from.
Clark Kent
ClarkKent
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 04:47:36 PM »

I know nothing about your or any other poster's personal circumstances, as you are just a blue map of Connecticut as far as I know.

In any case, I fail to see why opposition to granting citizenship to those who do not even have permission for residency merits such righteous indignation.
My parents came here legally and became citizens.

America is a nation of immigrants, and we should be more accepting of those who come here hoping for a better life. Immigration should be easier, not more restrictive. The 14th Amendment grants citizenship to all people born in America, regardless of where their parents come from.

I see; so you merely attacked a straw man argument as a soap box for your own preferred policy.

As such, you continued to advocate straw men, as I never advocated making immigration more restrictive. And, if the 14th Amendment were intended to give citizenship to all people born on US soil, then would not the Snyder Act have been superfluous?
Citizens of Indian tribes were not subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, but everyone else who is within America's borders is.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies