Walker (and others) join Trump, calling for ending birthright citizenship (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:32:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Walker (and others) join Trump, calling for ending birthright citizenship (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Walker (and others) join Trump, calling for ending birthright citizenship  (Read 11351 times)
mencken
« on: August 17, 2015, 02:58:20 PM »

Walker gains points with me for this. The problem is knowing whether his immigration policy is genuiene or (far more likely) political posturing.
mencken
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 03:02:37 PM »

Will this require a constitutional amendment??

Only if one considers the spawn of foreign nationals to be subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. (A contradiction in terms)
mencken
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 04:30:38 PM »

Only if one considers the spawn of foreign nationals to be subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. (A contradiction in terms)
I guess that makes me a "spawn of foreign nationals", considering that neither of my parents were citizens when I was born in America? What party are you part of, anyways? Millard Fillmore's Know-Nothings?

I just lost a ton of respect for Walker.

I know nothing about your or any other poster's personal circumstances, as you are just a blue map of Connecticut as far as I know.

In any case, I fail to see why opposition to granting citizenship to those who do not even have permission for residency merits such righteous indignation.
mencken
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 04:45:26 PM »

I guess that makes me a "spawn of foreign nationals", considering that neither of my parents were citizens when I was born in America? What party are you part of, anyways? Millard Fillmore's Know-Nothings?

I know nothing about your or any other poster's personal circumstances, as you are just a blue map of Connecticut as far as I know.

In any case, I fail to see why opposition to granting citizenship to those who do not even have permission for residency merits such righteous indignation.
My parents came here legally and became citizens.

America is a nation of immigrants, and we should be more accepting of those who come here hoping for a better life. Immigration should be easier, not more restrictive. The 14th Amendment grants citizenship to all people born in America, regardless of where their parents come from.

I see; so you merely attacked a straw man argument as a soap box for your own preferred policy.

As such, you continued to advocate straw men, as I never advocated making immigration more restrictive. And, if the 14th Amendment were intended to give citizenship to all people born on US soil, then would not the Snyder Act have been superfluous?
mencken
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 04:50:22 PM »

You are punishing children for their parent's perceived transgressions.  How would a newborn even get permission to be a resident in the United States?

The answer to that hypothetical question is that they don't need to.  Our constitution makes clear that if this country is your birthplace, you have a right to call it home.  Being born here is 'permission' enough, and that is how it should be.

The hypothetical pregnant mother did not have permission to reside in the United States, which presumably extends to the contents of her uterus as well. The passage of time does not change the situation. If this is punishing children for their parents' transgressions, than taking a necklace from an infant child that her mother stole from a jewelry store would fall under the same category.
mencken
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 05:59:55 PM »

You are punishing children for their parent's perceived transgressions.  How would a newborn even get permission to be a resident in the United States?

The answer to that hypothetical question is that they don't need to.  Our constitution makes clear that if this country is your birthplace, you have a right to call it home.  Being born here is 'permission' enough, and that is how it should be.

The hypothetical pregnant mother did not have permission to reside in the United States, which presumably extends to the contents of her uterus as well. The passage of time does not change the situation. If this is punishing children for their parents' transgressions, than taking a necklace from an infant child that her mother stole from a jewelry store would fall under the same category.
Well, you've demonstrated that its certainly alright to deport a fetus along with pregnant woman.  At least if you hold a pro-choice position on abortion, a fetus is considered 'part of' the mother, and therefore your logic applies.  Of course, if you're pro-life and consider a fetus to be it's own person, you might have some difficulty even getting that far, but that's not really the point.

However, once the baby is born, it is no longer a content of it's mother's uterus but its own person, with its own rights.

I am pro-choice, but that is irrelevant to this issue.

The implication here is that merely by being born, someone gains the privileges of citizenship of the United States, regardless of how they came to be in the United States, which is a preposterous proposition.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies