Voting for Hillary Clinton
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:13:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Voting for Hillary Clinton
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Voting for Hillary Clinton  (Read 1410 times)
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 18, 2015, 12:46:52 AM »

I had a curious thought a few weeks ago that I've finally decided to share. I've heard this question worded more or less the same way asked by many guys I know. The guys I know who might grab a beer with me after work or guys I might chat with about news and current events. This could apply to the entire Democratic field of 2016 candidates, but mostly to Hillary Clinton.

The question is this:

I'm not black. I'm not gay. I'm not a woman. What is in it for me to vote for Hillary Clinton?

P.S. The answer cannot be "warm fuzzies for helping others, ect ect". Specifically, what is in it for me? For guys like me?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 01:07:33 AM »

I'm not black, gay, or a woman. But I'm not voting for Hillary. I will vote for Sanders. His campaign isn't being run on identity politics. It's being run on standing up to bad trade agreements, bad wars, Wall Street. He'll protect the environment. Did you know that 200,000 Americans die every year from air pollution, many of them straight white males? He'll fight for Keynesian economic principles that help everyone by having a strong middle class.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 01:38:40 AM »

Considering you never graduated college and have very little hope of becoming an incredibly wealthy businessman or engineer at this point in your life, Mike, I'd say her call to raise the minimum wage, make 2 year college and vocational training free, and cut taxes in your parents income bracket would all be very helpful to you.  Her plan to raise capital gains taxes on short term investments and incentivize long term capital spending would probably be very good to a rust belt state like Ohio. Bernie Sanders would do something similar.

The real question would be what candidates like Jeb Bush or Marco Rubio, who want to undercut a man of your position by significantly increasing the number of workers visas, or single issue candidates like Ben Carson or Mike Huckabee who put religion ahead of economics, or big business hawks like Carly Fiorina or Ted Cruz who want to cut taxes for an income bracket you are virtually guaranteed of never being apart of, would be to you.

The poor and undereducated are disproportionately homosexual, minority, and female. For economic purposes, you are an average gay, black woman.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 01:48:58 AM »

The poor and undereducated are disproportionately homosexual, minority, and female. For economic purposes, you are an average gay, black woman.

The average gay is far richer, and often more educated, than the average citizen, so this is not entirely true. Gays and lesbians run lots of businesses (not just Apple lol) and often don't have children, which makes their money stretch much further. There's a reason why gay travellers usually are much more saught after than other travellers (except in muslim & African nations lol) as they on average spend much more on their holidays than straight tourists do.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 02:24:34 AM »

Considering you never graduated college and have very little hope of becoming an incredibly wealthy businessman or engineer at this point in your life, Mike, I'd say her call to raise the minimum wage, make 2 year college and vocational training free, and cut taxes in your parents income bracket would all be very helpful to you.  Her plan to raise capital gains taxes on short term investments and incentivize long term capital spending would probably be very good to a rust belt state like Ohio. Bernie Sanders would do something similar.

The real question would be what candidates like Jeb Bush or Marco Rubio, who want to undercut a man of your position by significantly increasing the number of workers visas, or single issue candidates like Ben Carson or Mike Huckabee who put religion ahead of economics, or big business hawks like Carly Fiorina or Ted Cruz who want to cut taxes for an income bracket you are virtually guaranteed of never being apart of, would be to you.

You really paint a bleak picture while not really knowing much about me.

I think my reasoning for voting Republican stems back to dissatisfaction with things such as liberalism, feminism and a cultural decline that Democrats seem to want to embrace.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 02:56:11 AM »
« Edited: August 18, 2015, 03:01:40 AM by Averroës »

No candidate for president in either party gives a shit about "guys like you." I mean, King is right, but if what you expect is not only that you'll receive certain benefits, but that members of groups whom you resent - women, blacks, recent immigrants, gays - will be denied the same benefits, then neither Hillary Clinton nor any other mainstream Democrat has anything to offer you.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 05:19:43 AM »

I think my reasoning for voting Republican stems back to dissatisfaction with things such as liberalism, feminism and a cultural decline that Democrats seem to want to embrace.

Can you please explain what this means in concrete terms? What specifically is your problem with feminism? With liberalism? What cultural decline?
YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 06:43:37 AM »

So, in other words, your reasoning for voting Republican is stupidity.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 07:05:52 AM »

I had a curious thought a few weeks ago that I've finally decided to share. I've heard this question worded more or less the same way asked by many guys I know. The guys I know who might grab a beer with me after work or guys I might chat with about news and current events. This could apply to the entire Democratic field of 2016 candidates, but mostly to Hillary Clinton.

The question is this:

I'm not black. I'm not gay. I'm not a woman. What is in it for me to vote for Hillary Clinton?

P.S. The answer cannot be "warm fuzzies for helping others, ect ect". Specifically, what is in it for me? For guys like me?

I try to look at candidates in terms of how they'll help the country or district they represent, but to answer the question nothing. Hillary Clinton is basically running for Barack Obama's third term. When you have stagnant wages, a part-time economy, and record poverty, it hurts folks like you and I who are white. It hurts blacks and women disproportionately. So if you and I are worse off, chances are there are women and blacks who are even worse off.

Gay Americans have also been hurt by the economic downturn but specific to same-sex marriage, this issue has been resolved at the state level so there's nothing "in it" for homosexuals to support one party or the other.

The fact is, there are basically three groups of people who would benefit under Hillary Clinton, the same three that benefit under Obama:

1. Those who want free cells phones, food stamps, and free contraception for women
2. Wall Street which thrives on this loose monetary policy and big banks who see small town banks shut down because of Dodd-Frank
3. Green energy companies thanks to corporate welfare
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 07:18:28 AM »

I can tell that this thread is going to be filled with intelligent discourse. Especially since it didn't cross the OP's mind that policies that directly affect black, female, and gay Americans could possibly have an indirect--hell, even positive--impact on white men.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 08:24:57 AM »
« Edited: August 18, 2015, 08:27:38 AM by Mehmentum »

The OP seems to be under the impression that SJW issues are the center of the Democratic party.  This isn't true.  Economic policy really is the most important part of the party's platform.  But that's far from all the Democrats stand for a wide array of issues like economics, gun control, the environment, foreign policy, immigration marijuana, there are a lot of policies to chose from.

So why might a white male vote Democrat?

Well, maybe he wants to go to college, but doesn't want to drown in student debt.  Maybe he's enrolled in Obamacare, and doesn't want that taken away from them.  Maybe he doesn't want a return to a neo-con foreign policy.  Maybe he wants to conserve our environment now, so that he'll have a higher quality of life later.  Perhaps he believes that improving race relations will lead to a safer society for everyone.  Perhaps he thinks marijuana should be legalized, and sees the chance of a libertarian winning the GOP nomination as basically zero.  Maybe he makes minimum wage, and sees the Democrats trying to raise that wage.  Maybe he's in a union, and notices that Republicans are decidedly anti-union.  Perhaps he works in a government job, and fears that if a Republican cuts the budget, he might lose that job.   Maybe he relies on his wife to help pay the bills, and sees wage inequality as directly hurting him.  Perhaps he's non-religious (or otherwise a non-christian), and views Republican zealotry with disdain.  Perhaps he's unemployed, and is afraid that a Republican would cut his unemployment benefits.  Perhaps he employs immigrants, and wants a more lenient immigration policy.  He could be relying on Medicare and Social Security, and trust the Democrats to keep those programs intact.  Maybe he has child who is gay, or is going to college, or otherwise effected by these issues, and wants to look out for them.

There are plenty of reasons for a white male to want to vote Democrat.  Maybe you disagree, or think Republicans would do better, or something.  However, that's different than saying Democrats have nothing to offer.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 08:56:47 AM »

No warm fuzzy feelings. Saving us from some sort of "cultural decline" is just a bunch of feel good nonsense that self help books are written about and preachers pass out pamphlets for on the street corner. A real logical voter votes on his paycheck.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 09:13:25 AM »

Hillary Rodham Clinton is THE most experienced candidate for President in our history..... by voting for her,you gain a lifetime of preparation for the position and a knowledge of exactly wht to do...plus eye candy for 8 years ;-)
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 09:14:42 AM »

Hillary Rodham Clinton is THE most experienced candidate for President in our history..... by voting for her,you gain a lifetime of preparation for the position and a knowledge of exactly wht to do...plus eye candy for 8 years ;-)

Only on Atlas would Hillary be considered eye candy.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 09:15:43 AM »

I doubt that..... most people here are queers- who I love dearly-but who do not consider Hillary or any other female attractive
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2015, 09:17:21 AM »

I doubt that..... most people here are queers- who I love dearly-but who do not consider Hillary or any other female attractive

Must I remind you of that picture of a poster kissing a book of Hillary Clinton?
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 09:21:56 AM »

Must I remind you of that picture of a poster kissing a book of Hillary Clinton?
Haven't seen it but who was it......could be my new best friend!
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 09:28:42 AM »
« Edited: August 18, 2015, 09:31:34 AM by Mr. Morden »

Clarence, were you around when I posted this thread?:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=201494.0

Which of those paintings is your favorite?

E.g.,

CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2015, 10:04:58 AM »

Mr. Morden- what a WONDERFUL thread!!!

Out of these... I prefer the second...... least clothing ;-)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2015, 01:21:01 PM »

As a white, male, college student, I think it's in my personal interest to vote for Hillary because she'll create the most favorable jobs environment for graduating college students/those wanting to go to grad school. And to all Bernie hacks who say otherwise, I agree he has a solid college plan and bottom-tier-jobs plan, but I think Hillary has a much, much better chance of getting her proposals through Congress, whereas Bernie would rely on executive orders which would be overwritten by President Rubio in 2021.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies