Huckabee to hold fundraiser in West Bank settlement
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:05:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Huckabee to hold fundraiser in West Bank settlement
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Huckabee to hold fundraiser in West Bank settlement  (Read 2276 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 18, 2015, 01:39:28 AM »

http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Who-needs-Iowa-Huckabee-to-hold-fund-raiser-in-West-Bank-settlement-412418?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

You must be logged in to read this quote.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 01:40:59 AM »

Despicable. This is pretty much down to Walker's level.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 01:41:20 AM »

He's an all-around disgusting creature.
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 02:04:32 AM »

As a person with Palestinian ancestry, this PISSES me off to no end, those settlements are illegal and the fact that Huckabee is holding a fundraiser in an ILLEGAL settlement does nothing but show an uneducated mentality, I am glad he will NEVER be President.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 02:32:21 AM »

So apparently he's fundraising from American citizens living in Israel? (Because otherwise I don't think it would be legal...)

The IDF must be sweating over this... Huckabee makes an amazingly fat target for ISIS or other jihadis.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 07:13:00 AM »

As a person with Palestinian ancestry, this PISSES me off to no end, those settlements are illegal and the fact that Huckabee is holding a fundraiser in an ILLEGAL settlement does nothing but show an uneducated mentality, I am glad he will NEVER be President.

First of all, the settlements are not illegal. It's Israel, they can do whatever they want on THEIR LAND. Pick up a history book, or read something online, the palestinians have absolutely no right to the land, Israel has been beyond generous to have given them land in the past and yet, Israelis are still victims of palestinian terrorism. Anyone who claims otherwise is just dumb/ignorant.

However, I have a fundamental issue with an American presidential candidate doing fundraising on foreign soil, I'm not sure how that's even legal. We Republicans were critical of Bill Clinton/DNC for accepting foreign donations, be it from China, in 1996. Furthermore, I'm with George Bush 41 who was critical of Bill Clinton for going overseas during Vietnam to protest the war - I believe this Iran deal is disastrous, but I wouldn't go to foreign soil and criticize it.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 07:22:02 AM »

First of all, the settlements are not illegal. It's Israel, they can do whatever they want on THEIR LAND. Pick up a history book, or read something online, the palestinians have absolutely no right to the land, Israel has been beyond generous to have given them land in the past and yet, Israelis are still victims of palestinian terrorism. Anyone who claims otherwise is just dumb/ignorant.

However, I have a fundamental issue with an American presidential candidate doing fundraising on foreign soil, I'm not sure how that's even legal. We Republicans were critical of Bill Clinton/DNC for accepting foreign donations, be it from China, in 1996. Furthermore, I'm with George Bush 41 who was critical of Bill Clinton for going overseas during Vietnam to protest the war - I believe this Iran deal is disastrous, but I wouldn't go to foreign soil and criticize it.

Even Israel doesn't claim it's THEIR LAND.
dudeabides
Tuvalu
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 07:28:20 AM »

http://www.bloombergview.com/quicktake/israeli-settlements

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/think-tanked/post/newt-gingrich-right-on-palestinians-as-invented-people-says-hoovers-daniel-pipes/2011/12/12/gIQAZ4wnpO_blog.html
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 07:28:41 AM »

Unfortunately for you, all Republicans and a lot of Democrats support Israel's "right" to settle that land.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 09:07:52 AM »

Yep, Shiloh is one of those expropriating illegal settlements that will need to be given up, if there is ever to be a peace deal in the area, which should not be there per US policy I might add (I think). So it is disgusting really.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 10:07:36 AM »

Isn't it illegal to hold a fundraiser overseas?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 10:23:52 AM »

As long as the money doesn't come from foreign sources, it's legal to hold a fundraiser anywhere in the world.
daverep
Rookie
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 10:31:13 AM »

How many Americans (not just Americans, mind you, but wealthy conservative Americans that would likely see the appeal in a stunt like this) live in Israel itself, much less near or in the West Bank?

Seems like a show move to kiss up to Netanyahu to me.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 12:00:07 PM »

Sounds like the perfect place to hawk survival seeds on the side, and maybe even land a few speaking gigs if he's lucky.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 04:28:36 PM »

Unfortunately for you, all Republicans and a lot of Democrats support Israel's "right" to settle that land.

No, not all.  He doesn't and I don't along with others like Ron Paul.
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2015, 04:59:38 PM »

The British promised the Jews some of the land and the Arabs some of the land.  What is so hard to understand about some of the land belonging to Arabs?
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 05:02:21 PM »

Yeah, Huckabee is going after a very narrow segment of evangelicals who he thinks will make this their flagship issue. Even a standard-issue AIPAC neoconservative isn't going to go to bat over a far-flung settlement like this one and go about it in such a blatantly pandering way.

Huckabee's "ole time religion" bona fides are his only distinguishing advantage. Everything else he's selling can be better had from one of the other candidates.

Mike Huckabee: Defender of Embryos and Revisionist Zionists.

Evangelicals are slowly turning away from reflexive support of everything Israel does.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 06:12:01 PM »

The British promised the Jews some of the land and the Arabs some of the land.  What is so hard to understand about some of the land belonging to Arabs?

Particularly when their idea was to split the land 50/50 despite about 25% of the people there being Jewish and 75% being Arab.

In retrospect, giving roughly 70% of the full area over to the Hashemites was a pretty terrible decision.

All that aside, this is hack-ish and uncouth on Huckabee's part, especially as this is a troublesome outpost that even the center-right knows will have to go.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2015, 06:13:16 PM »

Sounds like the perfect place to hawk survival seeds on the side, and maybe even land a few speaking gigs if he's lucky.

I wonder how many settlers suffer from diabetes.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2015, 07:32:05 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2015, 07:56:52 PM by DavidB. »

That's funny. I was there this summer too, although I spent more time in some "outposts" close to Shiloh, building some stuff and contributing to the future of the Jewish people.

Amen.

I totally understand what you're saying, but firstly, this is probably just for show ("look at me, I'm the most pro-Israel guy"), since almost nobody in Shiloh is actually rich (by contrast, the Gush Etzion region, south of Jerusalem, is well-known for its amount of rich Americans). Secondly, many of these places are full of Americans who made aliyah. I think you'd consider it much less problematic if Huckabee does fundraising with American citizens who just live abroad, right? Because if he's actually fundraising, that's what he's doing.

All that aside, this is hack-ish and uncouth on Huckabee's part, especially as this is a troublesome outpost that even the center-right knows will have to go.
Shiloh is authorized by the Israeli government, so it's not an outpost. Some places around Shiloh are, but Shiloh itself isn't. Not going to reply to the rest of your claims, although I'd advise you to read something about Shiloh's place in the history of the Jewish people.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2015, 07:47:22 PM »

Are candidates now trying to 'out-Israel' each other? And yeah, its illegal land. Any of these guys except maybe Rand would be a complete apologist for anything Israel permits or does, and that's a sad state of affairs.
Angel of Death
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2015, 08:10:50 PM »

Are candidates now trying to 'out-Israel' each other? And yeah, its illegal land. Any of these guys except maybe Rand would be a complete apologist for anything Israel permits or does, and that's a sad state of affairs.

Did you just wake up from a coma or something? Israel has been a bipartisan third rail for decades.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2015, 12:32:37 AM »

Huck says the West Bank is part of Israel, so he doesn't see what the big deal is:

http://www.ibtimes.com/mike-huckabee-west-bank-considered-part-israel-2059277

#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2015, 12:39:41 AM »

Screw Huckabee and screw Israel. Worthless pile of trash candidate.

AMEN.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2015, 01:01:44 AM »

This is what needs to happen to all West Bank settlements:

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length