Huckabee to hold fundraiser in West Bank settlement (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 12:42:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Huckabee to hold fundraiser in West Bank settlement (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Huckabee to hold fundraiser in West Bank settlement  (Read 2329 times)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« on: August 18, 2015, 07:32:05 PM »
« edited: August 18, 2015, 07:56:52 PM by DavidB. »

That's funny. I was there this summer too, although I spent more time in some "outposts" close to Shiloh, building some stuff and contributing to the future of the Jewish people.

First of all, the settlements are not illegal. It's Israel, they can do whatever they want on THEIR LAND. Pick up a history book, or read something online, the palestinians have absolutely no right to the land, Israel has been beyond generous to have given them land in the past and yet, Israelis are still victims of palestinian terrorism. Anyone who claims otherwise is just dumb/ignorant.
Amen.

However, I have a fundamental issue with an American presidential candidate doing fundraising on foreign soil, I'm not sure how that's even legal. We Republicans were critical of Bill Clinton/DNC for accepting foreign donations, be it from China, in 1996. Furthermore, I'm with George Bush 41 who was critical of Bill Clinton for going overseas during Vietnam to protest the war - I believe this Iran deal is disastrous, but I wouldn't go to foreign soil and criticize it.
I totally understand what you're saying, but firstly, this is probably just for show ("look at me, I'm the most pro-Israel guy"), since almost nobody in Shiloh is actually rich (by contrast, the Gush Etzion region, south of Jerusalem, is well-known for its amount of rich Americans). Secondly, many of these places are full of Americans who made aliyah. I think you'd consider it much less problematic if Huckabee does fundraising with American citizens who just live abroad, right? Because if he's actually fundraising, that's what he's doing.

All that aside, this is hack-ish and uncouth on Huckabee's part, especially as this is a troublesome outpost that even the center-right knows will have to go.
Shiloh is authorized by the Israeli government, so it's not an outpost. Some places around Shiloh are, but Shiloh itself isn't. Not going to reply to the rest of your claims, although I'd advise you to read something about Shiloh's place in the history of the Jewish people.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 04:34:09 AM »
« Edited: August 19, 2015, 04:45:17 AM by DavidB. »

I don't have an issue with Huckabee fundraising with Americans in Israel so long as they are U.S. citizens. I love Israel, I know Israeli people and they are smart, strong, and great. But I don't believe anyone from a foreign country should be allowed to donate to a U.S. presidential candidate.
I totally understand. I'm just saying that this is probably not the case.

And Huck is absolutely spot on. When hell freezes over, that's when we'll give away Shiloh and Hevron Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies