What is Donald Trump's appeal as a candidate exactly? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:56:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  What is Donald Trump's appeal as a candidate exactly? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is Donald Trump's appeal as a candidate exactly?  (Read 4915 times)
hopper
United States

« on: August 18, 2015, 01:10:51 PM »

Ever since his immigration reform plan came out yesterday I have been thinking about this. I get that Trump is tapping into this "populism" if you will of the "Republican Primary Electorate". Its almost like Ross Perot "Independent Bid"  in 1992 but without the Texas Drawl that's replaced with anger some real(bad trade deals not protecting the border(mainly from 1995-2007) and some anger that's real demeaning(deport all illegal immigrants, and his fued with Megyn Kelly.) The guy is all bark but no bite to me. His immigration plan is not realistic.

The anger I have to talk about to. Did Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton, the 2 Bush's or Obama get elected running on anger if you will? No. Those 5 Presidents get elected because they ran as optimists. It seems like the angrier he gets the more distance in the polls he puts between himself and his Republican Competitors. I just have never seen anything like this. Even a former Talk Show Host like Montel Williams sticking up for Trump Candidacy surprised me.
hopper
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 01:33:43 PM »

No its not that and yes I have thought about if Race is an issue but it doesn't seem like it is with Trump's candidacy.
hopper
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 01:41:14 PM »

He may say things that people like to hear but I could see through it all. "The Donald" is a gimmick as a Presidential Candidate.
hopper
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 12:34:45 PM »

Angry people like angry candidates.

And a majority of the Republican electorate is angry.
I'm not angry as a whole I just want to elect a President that solves the problems of Everyday Americans. The current President and the President before him have failed us. That's just my opinion.

One thing I am angry about on a side note is we don't have an entry-exit system for temporary workers. Well I ask politicians both Dem and Republican wouldn't you want to know who is in your own personal house when they come in to see you? When somebody rings the door bell do you just let them in?
hopper
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 12:37:01 PM »

A couple of Trump threads, so I'll put what I think here.

See, I think over the last 20 years or so the GOP has conditioned people to gravitate toward people like Trump, so I have to say that I'm not surprised so far. The mindless bravado, misogynistic undertones to all their rhetoric - although it's normally hidden in their "family" talk, that the Government can be run like a business (which is really absurd), that CEOs and the super wealthy built everything and can do the same for the country - as well as make tough decisions, the tough talk, and so on and so forth. Add to it a degree of showmanship and I'm not surprised at all that GOPers would flock to Trump, at least early. The question is whether or not something will give them cold feet.
Fair point. I just think GOPer's are shopping for a candidate. Remember last time they went shopping in 2012 they came back to Romney after taking a look at Gingrich, Bachmann, Cain, and Rick Perry.
hopper
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 12:38:21 PM »

Everyone on both sides of the aisle dislikes their party's leadership. Democrats tend to give low approval ratings to DWS, Pelosi, Reid, Schumer, etc. while Republicans dislike McConnell, Boehner, Cantor, and Priebus. Trump and Sanders really stick it to these people, and voters are willing to overlook a couple of trivial policy position to watch them squirm.
McCarthy.
hopper
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 12:42:43 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2015, 12:53:25 PM by hopper »

I noticed that Donald Trump's supporters were twice as high among non-college graduates than college graduates. Its right wing populism. Its blaming others for economic problems (immigrants, China, trade, outsourcing, etc.) that these supporters may be facing. Its saying whatever the hell you want without giving a sh**t. Its about attitude, not politics. That's what the appeal is, and its pretty clear it is working among 1/4 of the GOP electorate. Its stupid, but so are they.

To be fair, many of the college graduate GOP primary voters are supporting Carson. That's not much better.
Carson just failed to aspire in the first debate. He is good in a one-on-one setting but not when they are 9 other candidates on stage and you get a question asked every 10 minutes....
hopper
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 12:45:13 PM »

Trump's rise causes me to no longer take anyone seriously who spouts out the mouth about being a "true conservative" and following "conservative principles".
Can you get into detail?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies