Possible three-way race, Clinton/Bush/Trump
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:07:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Possible three-way race, Clinton/Bush/Trump
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Possible three-way race, Clinton/Bush/Trump  (Read 1802 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 19, 2015, 10:35:54 AM »
« edited: August 20, 2015, 03:02:50 PM by pbrower2a »

I begin with a blank map.  

Clinton (D)
Bush (R)
Trump (I)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 10:38:06 AM »

No. Please God, no. Not here. Moderators, do something.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 10:46:25 AM »

No. Please God, no. Not here. Moderators, do something.

See what I do before you do something rash.

Could it become irrelevant? Of course -- if Trump drops out completely -- or of course if he wins the Republican nomination. It will be a while before either happens.

Results are likely to be similar if one replaces Clinton with Saders or  Bush with any other Republican (other than Trump).
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 10:49:30 AM »

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 10:52:21 AM »
« Edited: August 19, 2015, 10:58:31 AM by Torie »

Just put the entire map in red pbrower2a, and by our failure to respond, you can take that as a sign that, as always, we all stand in awe of your inspired genius and perfect perspicacity, and that will be that, and the thread can sink off the front page of this Board. Deal? And given that you thread was reported (not by the now always gracious Simfan I might add), in exchange the ever tolerant Morden I am quite confident will not delete this thread. Deal?

Oh Gawd, now you are going to go through a waterboarding regime, where you are going to string out your mappies, state by state, post after post. Boo! Sad

Morden, my vote is to move this thread to the "what if" graveyard as suggested below. Please your public! Smiley
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 10:52:38 AM »

If you want to do something long and excruciating, like this, please do it in Election What-Ifs.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 10:54:19 AM »
« Edited: August 19, 2015, 10:56:52 AM by pbrower2a »

Missouri (PPP)

Clinton 34%
Trump 30%
Bush 29%

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2015/08/trump-leads-republicans-in-mo-gop-field-leads-clinton.html
North Carolina (PPP)

Clinton (D)......................... 38%
Bush (R)............................ 28%
Trump (I)............................27%

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2015/08/trump-grows-lead-in-nc-gop-leads-most-match-ups.html

Clinton wins two states that the Republican nominee absolutely must wins in this scenario.

OK -- the first-place/second-place margins matter more than the lead.  For each state in which the leader has less than 50% I can show the margin where one expects the electoral vote.  

Clinton (D)
Bush (R)
Trump (I)

...I will make the second map the norm.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 10:58:09 AM »

Clinton: 408, 42.5%
Bush: 127, 34.6%
Trump: 3, 22.2%
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 10:58:36 AM »

I am oddly OK with this so long as we don't get bad analysis to go with it. We realize if Clinton doesn't get 270, it will go to the GOP house. And a 4 point lead in Missouri won't result in any strategic voting during a 3-way race? For once I'll say, go ahead pbrower, just don't draw any infuriatingly misguided conclusions from data that is guaranteed to change.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 11:03:17 AM »

If you want to do something long and excruciating, like this, please do it in Election What-Ifs.

No deal.

The history of legalization of SSM is now a historical reality. "What if" is for an event that never happened and never will... let us say a projection of the 1968 Presidential election between Robert F. Kennedy (assassinated), Barry Goldwater (not nominated) and George Wallace (who really did run). I promise to close this thread if it becomes irrelevant -- for example, should Donald Trump make a firm promise to support any Republican nominee.

...At this point I can't see any Republican doing better than Bush or a Democrat doing much worse than Clinton.  
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 11:05:18 AM »

No deal.

The history of legalization of SSM is now a historical reality. "What if" is for an event that never happened and never will... let us say a projection of the 1968 Presidential election between Robert F. Kennedy (assassinated), Barry Goldwater (not nominated) and George Wallace (who really did run). I promise to close this thread if it becomes irrelevant -- for example, should Donald Trump make a firm promise to support any Republican nominee.

...At this point I can't see any Republican doing better than Bush or a Democrat doing much worse than Clinton. 

This question is predicated on a "what if", as in "what if... the candidates are these three people". It is a hypothetical. It belongs there. Here it adds to the noise, and only strengthens the claims of the KKK.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 11:05:57 AM »

So this thread is simply intended to include a map with the state-by-state polling results for Bush/Clinton/Trump?  You already have the "official polling map" thread on the polling board for that kind of thing.  Just use that.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 11:11:37 AM »

I am oddly OK with this so long as we don't get bad analysis to go with it. We realize if Clinton doesn't get 270, it will go to the GOP house. And a 4 point lead in Missouri won't result in any strategic voting during a 3-way race? For once I'll say, go ahead pbrower, just don't draw any infuriatingly misguided conclusions from data that is guaranteed to change.

I promise -- I won't do any crazy analysis.

Polling reality will change as perceptions change.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 11:15:52 AM »

So this thread is simply intended to include a map with the state-by-state polling results for Bush/Clinton/Trump?  You already have the "official polling map" thread on the polling board for that kind of thing.  Just use that.

The official polling map has begun to have trouble as the 2016 Presidential election has itself become more complicated due to a widening of the field should it remain a 'simple' binary race. 

Here we have a three-way race, a very different critter.  I think this is better kept separate from the "official polling map" which could get very messy very fast. This map, so far, is reasonably neat.   
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2015, 03:02:20 PM »

Quinnipiac -- Florida, Ohio, Pennsylvania

If Trump makes a third-party run, results are:

Florida - Clinton at 37 percent, with 36 percent for Bush and 19 percent for Trump;
    Ohio - Clinton over Bush 37 - 27 percent, with 23 percent for Trump;
    Pennsylvania - Clinton tops Bush 37 - 29 percent, with Trump at 24 percent.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/news-and-events/quinnipiac-university-poll/2016-presidential-swing-state-polls/release-detail?ReleaseID=2271

To be charitable and cautious I am calling Florida a tie.

Clinton wins three states that the Republican nominee absolutely must win in this scenario to have a chance.

OK -- the first-place/second-place margins matter more than the lead.  For each state in which the leader has less than 50% I can show the margin where one expects the electoral vote.  

Clinton (D)
Bush (R)
Trump (I)

Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 03:05:21 PM »

I like this thread. Good idea.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2015, 02:53:47 PM »
« Edited: August 26, 2015, 02:56:15 PM by pbrower2a »

New Hampshire, PPP:

Clinton/Trump/Bush: 43/28/22

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/2015/08/ayottehassan-a-toss-up-clintonsanders-generally-lead-gop-field.html

Clinton (D)
Bush (R)
Trump (I)

The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2015, 05:22:45 PM »

You forgot Deez Nuts (I)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2015, 09:17:42 AM »
« Edited: August 27, 2015, 10:09:16 AM by pbrower2a »

Quinnipiac, nationwide poll:

Clinton 40%
Bush 24%
Trump 24%

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/news-and-events/quinnipiac-university-poll/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2274

....Jeb and Trump would be tied for second place in a three-way race? That would be messy.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2016, 02:50:58 PM »

I hereby close and lock this thread due to its irrelevance.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies