Bernie Sanders Completely Rejects Open Borders
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:15:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Bernie Sanders Completely Rejects Open Borders
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Bernie Sanders Completely Rejects Open Borders  (Read 3526 times)
Jacobtm

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 19, 2015, 12:12:45 PM »
« edited: August 19, 2015, 12:17:11 PM by Jacobtm »

Bernie Sanders has basically the same view on immigration as Trump. We don't need it, it doesn't help, and it hurts our workers. In this interview with Vox, he explains why he is completely opposed to open borders. He all but presages Trump's line "Either we have a country, or we don't" when he says open borders is a right-wing proposal that "Essentially says there is no United States." Here is the juicy part of the interview:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.vox.com/2015/7/28/9014491/bernie-sanders-vox-conversation

Bernie's concept of "right-wing" is selling out your country for a few bucks. That seems to be the Democrat/Republican default position these days, Clinton, Bush, and Obama all certainly let the flood of illegals in without doing anything substantive to stop it.

Liberals obviously screamed bloody murder about Trump's comments, yet Sanders believes basically the same thing.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 12:16:08 PM »

Are open borders now the default left-wing position? I hadn't been aware of that, but apparently not supporting them now means you are Donald Trump. Roll Eyes
Jacobtm

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 12:19:40 PM »

Are open borders now the default left-wing position? I hadn't been aware of that, but apparently not supporting them now means you are Donald Trump. Roll Eyes

It's an issue that effectively Democratic and Republican administrations have agreed on. Whatever politicains say, Clinton, Bush, and Obama did nothing to stop the flood of illegals that has so changed our country.

Obama of course had his executive order making life easier for illegals. A recent poll shows the majority of Democrats think illegal immigrants should vote:
http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2015/05/29/poll-majority-of-democrats-think-illegal-immigrants-should-vote-n2005563

The old economic leftism that focused on unions seems to be dead, Bernie Sanders is a dinosaur for suggesting that we should focus on the rights and wages of American workers.
Rocky Rockefeller
Nelson Rockefeller 152
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.00

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 01:49:18 PM »

This is very, very, very, very far removed from what Trump is proposing.
Jacobtm

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 01:50:46 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2015, 01:53:30 PM by Jacobtm »

This is very, very, very, very far removed from what Trump is proposing.

Trump says:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/positions/immigration-reform

Did you read Trump's proposal, or just listen to attacks on him and believe blatant BS?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 01:55:56 PM »

this just in-

BERNIE SANDERS IS ACTUALLY A NEW YORKER, JUST LIKE TRUMP
Rocky Rockefeller
Nelson Rockefeller 152
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.00

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 02:02:00 PM »

Trump wants to end birth right citizenship. Bernie doesn't. Just because they both believe that unrestricted immigration reform is bad for the country doesn't mean Sanders is going to start mass deportations, rebuild the Berlin Wall on the southern border and make Mexico pay for it etc.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 02:04:48 PM »

Is open borders a mainstream position now?
Jacobtm

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 02:37:43 PM »

Not officially but it is the de facto position on illegal immigration, which is why Trump gets called a Nazi for just wanting to deport people who came here illegally and prevent future ones from coming with a wall.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 04:12:02 PM »

No, most people don't want open borders.  Sadly, we DO have open borders as a matter of fact.

I've always been for a closed border with more (as much as we think we need) legal immigration if we need more people, pretty much for the reasons Bernie gives.
Jacobtm

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 04:22:52 PM »

No, most people don't want open borders.  Sadly, we DO have open borders as a matter of fact.

I've always been for a closed border with more (as much as we think we need) legal immigration if we need more people, pretty much for the reasons Bernie gives.

In NYC it's a pretty mainstream position among typical college-educated liberals, of course NYC is an outlier. But among our politicians no doubt that it is the de-facto position.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 08:59:54 PM »

Trump/Sanders 2016. Lets burn this thing to the ground!
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 09:42:02 PM »

Do you know how many people die on that "open" border? How many get maimed? Do you know how many families are separated for years because of that "open" border? Actually, probably you do: and enjoy it, enjoy the suffering of all those subhumans. And you claim to be a Jew?

The profound, fundamental immorality and inhumanity of so many people here really makes me despair. 

And, no, I am not calling for an "open border": whatever my personal preferences, I realize it is unacceptable to most people. It is the tone of this discussion that I find painful. Frankly, even reading some of these comments is a torture. 
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 09:45:58 PM »

I, too, support having borders.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 09:52:29 PM »

Nobody has ever proposed an open border policy. It is very clear to everybody that such a policy is not likely any time soon to become a politically acceptable option. But the cannibalistic lightheartedness of the discussion on these boards over the last few days is really driving me crazy.
Jacobtm

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2015, 09:54:05 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2015, 09:55:40 PM by Jacobtm »

No, most people don't want open borders.  Sadly, we DO have open borders as a matter of fact.

Do you know how many people die on that "open" border? How many get maimed? Do you know how many families are separated for years because of that "open" border? Actually, probably you do: and enjoy it, enjoy the suffering of all those subhumans. And you claim to be a Jew?

The profound, fundamental immorality and inhumanity of so many people here really makes me despair.  

And, no, I am not calling for an "open border": whatever my personal preferences, I realize it is unacceptable to most people. It is the tone of this discussion that I find painful. Frankly, even reading some of these comments is a torture.  

Well yes it is not a free bus ride from Cholula to Chicago, and we do have guards, yet somehow about twelve million people have found it more than open enough to get through.

If people decide to walk across a desert or be snuck across by drug cartels and it does not work out so well for them, well, maybe they should have just stayed home.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2015, 10:05:15 PM »

LOL, there are positions in between completely open borders and revoking people's citizenship for what their parents did.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2015, 10:09:07 PM »

No, most people don't want open borders.  Sadly, we DO have open borders as a matter of fact.

Well yes it is not a free bus ride from Cholula to Chicago, and we do have guards, yet somehow about twelve million people have found it more than open enough to get through.

If people decide to walk across a desert or be snuck across by drug cartels and it does not work out so well for them, well, maybe they should have just stayed home.

Well, yeah, and somehow 6 mln Jews survived the Holocaust: that was, surely, a sign that SS was not taking its job seriously.

This is exactly what I mean by cannibalistic lightheartedness of this entire conversation. The utter absence of morality and shame.

Anyway, I am incapable of seriously talking to cannibals: I simply imagine how happily you guys here would cook and eat me and my children, and that is not a pleasant thought.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2015, 10:11:08 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2015, 10:47:55 PM by Thomas from NJ »

Do you know how many people die on that "open" border? How many get maimed? Do you know how many families are separated for years because of that "open" border? Actually, probably you do: and enjoy it, enjoy the suffering of all those subhumans.

Many American citizens have been killed by illegal immigrant criminals, but I'm not going to accuse you of enjoying their suffering just because you don't support cracking down on illegal immigration.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2015, 10:14:57 PM »

Do you know how many people die on that "open" border? How many get maimed? Do you know how many families are separated for years because of that "open" border? Actually, probably you do: and enjoy it, enjoy the suffering of all those subhumans.

Thousands of American citizens have been killed by illegal immigrant criminals, but I'm not going to accuse you of enjoying their suffering just because you don't support cracking down on illegal immigration.

I would much prefer if you did. If I am not hateful enough to you, it means I am doing something wrong.
Jacobtm

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2015, 10:29:46 PM »

I want people who are here illegally to go back to their countries, and future illegal immigration to be prevented.

You guys are so hysterical you compare it to cannibalism and the holocaust.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2015, 10:46:31 PM »

I want people who are here illegally to go back to their countries, and future illegal immigration to be prevented.

Yes, I am hysterical. And I am not comparing anything to cannibalism. I firmly believe that I am conversing with cannibals here. Normal moral human beings cannot be talking like this. The depth of human immorality is what is scaring me to death. That is why I am hysterical.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2015, 05:13:42 AM »

Yes, I am hysterical. And I am not comparing anything to cannibalism. I firmly believe that I am conversing with cannibals here. Normal moral human beings cannot be talking like this. The depth of human immorality is what is scaring me to death. That is why I am hysterical.

No, you're just being hysterical. Please get off your non-existent high horse.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2015, 05:24:30 AM »

TIL that I claim I'm Jewish!  News to me.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2015, 06:09:04 AM »

If it is the case, ag will not have been the first Mexican I have known driven to the brink of insanity by the level of discourse on immigration.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies