In general, which are better places to live?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:15:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  In general, which are better places to live?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: In general, which are better places to live?
>80% Obama precincts

>80% Romney precincts

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 84

Author Topic: In general, which are better places to live?  (Read 4025 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 19, 2015, 12:50:08 PM »

On principle I refuse to ever live in a precinct where Obama got less than 80%, so...
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 12:52:54 PM »

In general, both are likely hideous and dangerous places, and I would decline to reside in either under any normal circumstances.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 01:03:16 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2015, 01:06:56 PM by The Year Summer Ended In July »

In general, both are likely hideous and dangerous places, and I would decline to reside in either under any normal circumstances.

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 01:04:50 PM »

Indeed.  You can probably find some exceptions to prove the rule, but generally those are going to be pretty sh**tty places.  You'd need to be fairly well brainwashed to actually want to live in those places.....hence the OP.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 01:10:58 PM »

Indeed.  You can probably find some exceptions to prove the rule, but generally those are going to be pretty sh**tty places.  You'd need to be fairly well brainwashed to actually want to live in those places.....hence the OP.

Yeah you'd have to be quite brainwashed and delusional to ever want to live in any of those places I posted the pics of above.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 01:28:13 PM »

Those are not your typical 80% Obama precincts. The typical such precinct is likely a below-average income inner city area.

BRTD, do you seriously choose where to live based off its voting history? That is, if you found a nice, affordable apartment in a precinct that was only 75% Obama or, God forbid, 60% Obama, you would flatly refuse to live there? Even for you that's absurd.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 01:31:43 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2015, 01:33:14 PM by The Year Summer Ended In July »

Those are not your typical 80% Obama precincts. The typical such precinct is likely a below-average income inner city area.

BRTD, do you seriously choose where to live based off its voting history? That is, if you found a nice, affordable apartment in a precinct that was only 75% Obama or, God forbid, 60% Obama, you would flatly refuse to live there? Even for you that's absurd.

60% Obama precincts don't exist in Minneapolis, and 75% Obama precincts tend to be quite expensive. Unless it's near the University of Minnesota, in which case I wouldn't live there for other reasons.

I should point out that I already live in a "below-average income inner city area." "Below average income" does not have to mean "poverty stricken ghetto".
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 01:32:07 PM »

If you like cities, >80% Obama precincts. 
If you like rural areas, >80% Romney precincts. 

But, both have great and awful examples, I'm sure.  I wouldn't want to live in Camden, NJ or East St. Louis, for example.

Let's be honest, if that's one of your main criteria, you're a crazy person. 
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 02:51:18 PM »

Depends on what you're going for, really. If you're doing well enough financially to afford the sky-high rents that come with living in an urban area, then an >80% Obama precinct is probably for you. If not, the >80% Romney precincts are probably better, as rent (and overall cost of living) tends to be cheaper in the red states.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 03:04:33 PM »

Yeah, Romney over +80 sounds like some godforsaken place in the panhandle of Texas, Obama over +80 sounds like an urban nightmare. No thanks to both.

I would feel safer of course in a Romney over +80, and it's possible that it would be near a more diverse place where I could go to hang out. I would probably pick that, then, because I value safety and lower cost of living a great deal.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 03:05:00 PM »

Depends on what you're going for, really. If you're doing well enough financially to afford the sky-high rents that come with living in an urban area, then an >80% Obama precinct is probably for you. If not, the >80% Romney precincts are probably better, as rent (and overall cost of living) tends to be cheaper in the red states.

My rent is less than $600/month.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 03:08:37 PM »

My rent is less than $600/month.

Good for you.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 03:09:26 PM »

...in an >80% Obama precinct.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 03:24:45 PM »

The Romney precincts are likely to be in the middle of nowhere

The Obama percents are probably only in blighted inner cities or gentrified urban neighborhoods.

Obviously no sane person decides where to live based on this, but pick your poison.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 03:36:11 PM »

TIL I live in either a blighted or gentrified area.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2015, 04:23:20 PM »

Would depend on my phase in life. For now, I love living in an inner-city area, even though I wouldn't want to live in a real "ghetto" (my ancestors already did Tongue). When I have a wife and kids, however, I would prefer living on the countryside.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2015, 05:19:52 PM »

60% Obama precincts don't exist in Minneapolis, and 75% Obama precincts tend to be quite expensive. Unless it's near the University of Minnesota, in which case I wouldn't live there for other reasons.

I should point out that I already live in a "below-average income inner city area." "Below average income" does not have to mean "poverty stricken ghetto".

You gave an absolute statement. If there was an affordable, well-located apartment in a hypothetical 51% Romney precinct, would you refuse to live there?
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2015, 05:25:15 PM »

80% Obama - Poor, crime-ridden community

80% Romney - Poor, fanaticism-ridden community
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2015, 05:28:19 PM »

I live in a county where Obama won 89.73%. I doubt I would feel comfortable in a place where Romney won anywhere near that percentage. People in this thread attempting to draw a false equivalency are amusing.

You gave an absolute statement. If there was an affordable, well-located apartment in a hypothetical 51% Romney precinct, would you refuse to live there?

BRTD's answer would surely be that there's no place that's both well-located and in a 51% Romney precinct, because no place that fits his criteria for "well-located" would possibly have voted for Romney. Whether you agree or not, it's intellectually consistent.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2015, 06:33:43 PM »

I guess >80% Obama, but only becasue I don't want to live in the middle of nowhere.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2015, 06:33:55 PM »

BRTD in this thread epitomizes the Big Sort.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2015, 06:39:02 PM »

>80% Obama, I guess. I would rather live in neither, since most >80% Romney ones lack civilization and >80% Obama ones are too urban. Though I bet I could find some nice inner suburban areas that are >80% Obama in the Atlanta area.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2015, 06:52:31 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2015, 06:59:57 PM by MW Representative RFayette »

Texas exurbs with >80% Romney voting would be pretty nice (I think The Woodlands has areas like this), and I like rural areas too.  That being said, a college town or nice part of Minneapolis or something that's >80% Obama would be cool too.  

I chose >80% Romney, but it depends on the area.  
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2015, 07:02:47 PM »

Exurbs with >80% Romney would be pretty nice, and I like rural areas too.  That being said, a college town or nice part of Minneapolis or something that's >80% Obama would be cool too. 

Well yes, there is a huge variation in places that fit into these categories. For example, people are talking about how all the >80% Obama areas are urban while the Romney areas are rural, when there are plenty of rural Obama areas (see: the former Shannon County, black belt areas in the South) so this isn't really an answerable question to me as there are a huge amount of different options that this "match-up" could possibly have me choosing between.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2015, 07:08:56 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2015, 07:12:57 PM by MW Representative RFayette »

Exurbs with >80% Romney would be pretty nice, and I like rural areas too.  That being said, a college town or nice part of Minneapolis or something that's >80% Obama would be cool too.  

Well yes, there is a huge variation in places that fit into these categories. For example, people are talking about how all the >80% Obama areas are urban while the Romney areas are rural, when there are plenty of rural Obama areas (see: the former Shannon County, black belt areas in the South) so this isn't really an answerable question to me as there are a huge amount of different options that this "match-up" could possibly have me choosing between.

Since it was BRTD, when he said "80% Obama area," I instantly thought of a college town or some relatively gentrified (but still quite diverse) part of a city.  Tongue

But for me, if by >80% Obama area we're talking about a ghetto or Native American Reservation, then no way for me.  College town, Vermont, or yuppie-ish type place?  Sure, I could go for it potentially, though I personally like the uber-conservative suburbs of the American Southwest a lot as a hot weather aficionado.

I think muon's post about "The Big Sort" is quite interesting, as I'm heading off to a very liberal university, but I do intend to move to a more religious, conservative place upon graduation.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies