In general, which are better places to live?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:09:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  In general, which are better places to live?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: In general, which are better places to live?
>80% Obama precincts

>80% Romney precincts

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 84

Author Topic: In general, which are better places to live?  (Read 3998 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2015, 07:14:19 PM »

I already live in a >90% D precinct in WI and it's generally a good place to live. If you selected precincts at random that are >80% R or D and I had to move wherever you selected, I'd go with the R since there's probably less downside, especially if I got to choose the state. If choosing >80% D means I don't have to move I'll go with that.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2015, 07:31:51 PM »

Exurbs with >80% Romney would be pretty nice, and I like rural areas too.  That being said, a college town or nice part of Minneapolis or something that's >80% Obama would be cool too.  

I chose >80% Romney, but it depends on the area.  

Well yes, there is a huge variation in places that fit into these categories. For example, people are talking about how all the >80% Obama areas are urban while the Romney areas are rural, when there are plenty of rural Obama areas (see: the former Shannon County, black belt areas in the South) so this isn't really an answerable question to me as there are a huge amount of different options that this "match-up" could possibly have me choosing between.

Since it was BRTD, when he said "80% Obama area," I instantly thought of a college town or some relatively gentrified (but still quite diverse) part of a city.  Tongue

But for me, if by >80% Obama area we're talking about a ghetto or Native American Reservation, then no way for me.  College town, Vermont, or yuppie-ish type place?  Sure, I could go for it potentially, though I personally like the uber-conservative suburbs of the American Southwest a lot as a hot weather aficionado.

I think muon's post about "The Big Sort" is quite interesting, as I'm heading off to a very liberal university, but I do intend to move to a more religious, conservative place upon graduation.

Wait, are sunbelt suburbs really that conservative? Because I pictured >80% Romney areas as being rural Midwestern farmland, but if, for example, parts of suburban Phoenix are >80% Romney that really changes things...
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2015, 07:46:33 PM »

Exurbs with >80% Romney would be pretty nice, and I like rural areas too.  That being said, a college town or nice part of Minneapolis or something that's >80% Obama would be cool too. 

Well yes, there is a huge variation in places that fit into these categories. For example, people are talking about how all the >80% Obama areas are urban while the Romney areas are rural, when there are plenty of rural Obama areas (see: the former Shannon County, black belt areas in the South) so this isn't really an answerable question to me as there are a huge amount of different options that this "match-up" could possibly have me choosing between.

Since it was BRTD, when he said "80% Obama area," I instantly thought of a college town or some relatively gentrified (but still quite diverse) part of a city.  Tongue

But for me, if by >80% Obama area we're talking about a ghetto or Native American Reservation, then no way for me.  College town, Vermont, or yuppie-ish type place?  Sure, I could go for it potentially, though I personally like the uber-conservative suburbs of the American Southwest a lot as a hot weather aficionado.

I think muon's post about "The Big Sort" is quite interesting, as I'm heading off to a very liberal university, but I do intend to move to a more religious, conservative place upon graduation.

Wait, are sunbelt suburbs really that conservative? Because I pictured >80% Romney areas as being rural Midwestern farmland, but if, for example, parts of suburban Phoenix are >80% Romney that really changes things...

I just leafed through DRA and I saw in Arizona, a lot of the suburbs are 60% to 75% McCain........I bet a few of the uber-GOP suburbs in Phoenix and Flagstaff may have cracked 80% for Mitt.   In Texas, there were San Antonio exurbs that cracked 80%.  Fort Worth suburbs had a lot of 75% McCain districts and that was inside Tarrant County.

Lubbock isn't that small and it had central precincts at 85% McCain (!), and this is also the case with other decent-sized cities like Plano to a slightly lesser extent.

YaBoyNY
NYMillennial
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2015, 08:07:48 PM »

A lot of the exurbs are really Republican, yes, though their degree of conservativeness varies. Some are home to (relative to the rest of their state) social moderates who vote Republican based on fiscal issues. Some are home to Evangelicals. Even still, liberals and moderates make up a far higher % of the people in the >80% Romney exurbs than they do in the >80% Romney rural areas.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2015, 08:10:01 PM »

Exurbs with >80% Romney would be pretty nice, and I like rural areas too.  That being said, a college town or nice part of Minneapolis or something that's >80% Obama would be cool too.  

Since it was BRTD, when he said "80% Obama area," I instantly thought of a college town or some relatively gentrified (but still quite diverse) part of a city.  Tongue

But for me, if by >80% Obama area we're talking about a ghetto or Native American Reservation, then no way for me.  College town, Vermont, or yuppie-ish type place?  Sure, I could go for it potentially, though I personally like the uber-conservative suburbs of the American Southwest a lot as a hot weather aficionado.

Not sunbelt, but there's actually a municipality in Waukesha County that went >80% Romney - Chenequa. Its an uber rich lake community.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2015, 08:17:20 PM »

I'm sure there are plenty of nice places to live in Utah, Idaho, and Colorado that eclipsed 80% Romney.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2015, 08:53:47 PM »

Texas exurbs with >80% Romney voting would be pretty nice (I think The Woodlands has areas like this), and I like rural areas too.  That being said, a college town or nice part of Minneapolis or something that's >80% Obama would be cool too.  

Wow! I never expected you to agree with me on that!

What would you think about an >80% Obama part of Des Moines? In fact I was thinking of your state in this, >80% Obama precincts in Des Moines or Iowa City vs. Sioux County...
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2015, 12:35:47 AM »

So let's compare something. First all of the >80% Obama precincts in the Twin Cities:

And then look at the income map here.

Oh my God! You mean to tell me that most of those blue precincts are in fact neither poverty-stricken ghettos nor insanely overpriced gentrified territory but are in fact mostly middle class, and are both affordable and not incredibly dangerous? No that can't be...
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2015, 12:54:42 AM »

LOL, just look at all the gangs in this >80% Obama area (Mill Valley, CA)

Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2015, 01:46:41 AM »

This is getting to be beside the point, but this thread inspired me to map all the precincts in the state of Maryland that gave at least 80% of the vote to our president in 2008. I'd do the same for the Bay Area but DRA won't let me.

The most surprising thing is that there's an 88.5% Obama precinct in Hagerstown of all places. It's only 50% black.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2015, 06:23:45 AM »

BRTD in this thread epitomizes the Big Sort.
Indeed.

But I can't really blame people for wanting to live around like minded people, even if there will be consequences for it.  Human nature is full of consequences (and awesomeness).
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2015, 06:28:26 AM »
« Edited: August 20, 2015, 06:41:28 AM by Torie »

My precinct is probably closer to 90% Obama. It is sort of a microcosm of much of the Obama coalition, persons of color (blacks and Bangladeshis, white gentry liberals, artists and gays). I love it!  Smiley  Below is a pic of some of my block.

The red house on the end above now looks like this:

Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2015, 11:32:56 AM »

I live in an 80% Obama precinct because college campus. The generalizations in this thread just aren't realistic.

There are >80% Obama precincts on the south side of Chicago, for example Englewood with crime rates through the roof. There are >80% Obama precincts in Highland Park IL, one of the richer towns in the Midwest that also happens to have a huge Jewish population.

There are >80% Romney precincts in downstate Illinois that are rural swaths. There are >80% Romney precincts in North Barrington IL, which is a very nice, wealthy, exurban community.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2015, 11:53:12 AM »

I live in an 80% Obama precinct because college campus. The generalizations in this thread just aren't realistic.

There are >80% Obama precincts on the south side of Chicago, for example Englewood with crime rates through the roof. There are >80% Obama precincts in Highland Park IL, one of the richer towns in the Midwest that also happens to have a huge Jewish population.

There are >80% Romney precincts in downstate Illinois that are rural swaths. There are >80% Romney precincts in North Barrington IL, which is a very nice, wealthy, exurban community.

Is North Barrington the same thing as regular Barrington? Because there are like ten of them and I've only ever heard of Barrington (which is close to where I live), South Barrington, and Lake Barrington
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2015, 10:50:00 AM »

People talking about the expense of inner city living in liberal precincts shoul remember b tha6 housing prices in 80%+ Romey precincts are bound to be crazy priced. As much as Atlas believes Republican voting habits are based on being rural unwashed savages, while there are exceptions to the rule most such precincts are going to be uber-wealthy. that goes for rural areas as well.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2015, 12:16:10 PM »

For the record, Bloomfield Hills, by my recollection, was only 69% for Romney.

Are there >80% Romney precincts in hilly, forested areas in the north, by chance?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2015, 12:25:10 PM »

For the record, Bloomfield Hills, by my recollection, was only 69% for Romney.

Are there >80% Romney precincts in hilly, forested areas in the north, by chance?

Not many if any. Northern Michigan isn't that overwhelmingly Republican. About the only places in Michigan than have >80% Romney precincts are Frankenmuth and the Dutch areas.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2015, 06:22:13 PM »

My precinct is probably closer to 90% Obama. It is sort of a microcosm of much of the Obama coalition, persons of color (blacks and Bangladeshis, white gentry liberals, artists and gays). I love it!  Smiley  Below is a pic of some of my block.

The red house on the end above now looks like this:

Obama's best precinct in Hudson in 2008 was "only" 79.5%. The closest >90% Obama precincts are in the black part of Albany.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2015, 06:42:34 PM »

Romney country, for sure.  I've lived in both, and not to be classist or racist or ageist, but generally speaking 80% Obama means "lock the doors, now!"
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2015, 02:17:47 PM »

Is North Barrington the same thing as regular Barrington? Because there are like ten of them and I've only ever heard of Barrington (which is close to where I live), South Barrington, and Lake Barrington

There are a million of them. North Barrington is in Lake County (most of the others are in Cook) and North Barrington is the wealthiest, most rural, and most Republican of the bunch, which is why I used it.
elephantower
Rookie
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2017, 04:33:57 PM »

I refuse to live anywhere without sidewalks as long as I have a choice, and I have no interest in homeownership. Hard to think of any >80% Romney precincts that satisfy both criteria that wouldn't be unbearable because of some other idiosyncrasy.

For the record, until recently I *did* live in an >80% Obama precinct, where rent began at $600 per month, and where I felt safer walking alone at night than I do in my current ~55% Obama precinct in the heart of a once-proud small Northeastern city that has since degenerated to what might be charitably described as an inhabited ruin, and where the only people on the streets past 7 p.m. are various stripes of delinquents, derelicts, and addicts.

I know this is really old, but I stumbled on this thread and I'm quite curious how your precinct voted in 2016 -- sounds like Trump country to me
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2017, 05:45:11 PM »

Would depend on my phase in life. For now, I love living in an inner-city area, even though I wouldn't want to live in a real "ghetto" (my ancestors already did Tongue). When I have a wife husband and kids, however, I would prefer living on the countryside.

Basically this. Tongue
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2017, 06:08:23 PM »

Option 2.

My ideal home looks like this:

Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2017, 12:37:16 PM »

Depends on which part of the country it's in, although if I had to guess, I'd say that >80% Romney precincts would be better on the whole (at least for me.)
Lord Admirale
Admiral President
YaBB God
United States Minor Outlying Islands

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -0.70

P P P

« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2017, 08:36:48 PM »

Both seem to attract very rundown areas, such as deep in Alabama or in the Bronx.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies