In general, which are better places to live? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:02:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  In general, which are better places to live? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: In general, which are better places to live?
>80% Obama precincts

>80% Romney precincts

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 84

Author Topic: In general, which are better places to live?  (Read 4061 times)
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: August 19, 2015, 06:52:31 PM »
« edited: August 19, 2015, 06:59:57 PM by MW Representative RFayette »

Texas exurbs with >80% Romney voting would be pretty nice (I think The Woodlands has areas like this), and I like rural areas too.  That being said, a college town or nice part of Minneapolis or something that's >80% Obama would be cool too.  

I chose >80% Romney, but it depends on the area.  
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 07:08:56 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2015, 07:12:57 PM by MW Representative RFayette »

Exurbs with >80% Romney would be pretty nice, and I like rural areas too.  That being said, a college town or nice part of Minneapolis or something that's >80% Obama would be cool too.  

Well yes, there is a huge variation in places that fit into these categories. For example, people are talking about how all the >80% Obama areas are urban while the Romney areas are rural, when there are plenty of rural Obama areas (see: the former Shannon County, black belt areas in the South) so this isn't really an answerable question to me as there are a huge amount of different options that this "match-up" could possibly have me choosing between.

Since it was BRTD, when he said "80% Obama area," I instantly thought of a college town or some relatively gentrified (but still quite diverse) part of a city.  Tongue

But for me, if by >80% Obama area we're talking about a ghetto or Native American Reservation, then no way for me.  College town, Vermont, or yuppie-ish type place?  Sure, I could go for it potentially, though I personally like the uber-conservative suburbs of the American Southwest a lot as a hot weather aficionado.

I think muon's post about "The Big Sort" is quite interesting, as I'm heading off to a very liberal university, but I do intend to move to a more religious, conservative place upon graduation.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 07:46:33 PM »

Exurbs with >80% Romney would be pretty nice, and I like rural areas too.  That being said, a college town or nice part of Minneapolis or something that's >80% Obama would be cool too. 

Well yes, there is a huge variation in places that fit into these categories. For example, people are talking about how all the >80% Obama areas are urban while the Romney areas are rural, when there are plenty of rural Obama areas (see: the former Shannon County, black belt areas in the South) so this isn't really an answerable question to me as there are a huge amount of different options that this "match-up" could possibly have me choosing between.

Since it was BRTD, when he said "80% Obama area," I instantly thought of a college town or some relatively gentrified (but still quite diverse) part of a city.  Tongue

But for me, if by >80% Obama area we're talking about a ghetto or Native American Reservation, then no way for me.  College town, Vermont, or yuppie-ish type place?  Sure, I could go for it potentially, though I personally like the uber-conservative suburbs of the American Southwest a lot as a hot weather aficionado.

I think muon's post about "The Big Sort" is quite interesting, as I'm heading off to a very liberal university, but I do intend to move to a more religious, conservative place upon graduation.

Wait, are sunbelt suburbs really that conservative? Because I pictured >80% Romney areas as being rural Midwestern farmland, but if, for example, parts of suburban Phoenix are >80% Romney that really changes things...

I just leafed through DRA and I saw in Arizona, a lot of the suburbs are 60% to 75% McCain........I bet a few of the uber-GOP suburbs in Phoenix and Flagstaff may have cracked 80% for Mitt.   In Texas, there were San Antonio exurbs that cracked 80%.  Fort Worth suburbs had a lot of 75% McCain districts and that was inside Tarrant County.

Lubbock isn't that small and it had central precincts at 85% McCain (!), and this is also the case with other decent-sized cities like Plano to a slightly lesser extent.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies