Move to Des Moines?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:13:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Move to Des Moines?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should I?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 24

Author Topic: Move to Des Moines?  (Read 516 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 19, 2015, 01:44:31 PM »

It looks like I could easily get a job there. The pay is about the same as my current one, but the cost of living there is a lot lower.

You guys might think this is still crazy for me, but truth is, there are some appealing aspects. For the ultimate Atlas nerd aspect, I'll get to take part in an Iowa caucus! And I've grown tired of my current job and even where I live now (not so much Minneapolis but my neighborhood, which is still great, but having lived here for seven years and having to deal with things like walking by a house and thinking "Oh remember when cool person lived there and had awesome parties? But yeah now they moved to Chicago..." constantly. I think a new area, even a much smaller one, would be pretty refreshing and exciting.

On the other hand, I have a feeling I might grow bored of it quickly, and will start yearning for Minneapolis again in less than a year. And what do I do if I get bored of this job? I have a much better chance of landing a higher paying one in Minneapolis, so it might make more sense just to stay here and look for one.

Due to that...leaning no, but curious about thoughts.

And before anyone points toward my last poll: Yes there are >80% Obama precincts in Des Moines. In fact most of the people I know there live in them.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 02:25:58 PM »

On the other hand, I have a feeling I might grow bored of it quickly, and will start yearning for Minneapolis again in less than a year. And what do I do if I get bored of this job? I have a much better chance of landing a higher paying one in Minneapolis, so it might make more sense just to stay here and look for one.
Well, I wouldn't do it then. Can't you find yourself something in a city that won't bore you in less than a year?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 05:29:14 PM »

Why not? Think of it as your Utah.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 06:10:06 PM »

Yes, change is good.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 06:16:06 AM »

There is more going on in Hudson,NY  than there is in Des Moines. I've got a nice hippie shack you could live in for free in Winterset. Beautiful location and private (you can hear the Middle River gurgling by to lull you to sleep), but it is something of a wreck. Smiley And it is on 3 acres, so if Iowa ever goes the way of Colorado, you could start a pot farm to boot. Tongue
kcguy
Romania

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 07:27:42 PM »

Years ago, I had a job transfer from Kansas City to Roanoke, Virginia.  I stayed in the Roanoke Valley for 20 months.  I liked daily life in Roanoke--you could drive anywhere in 20 minutes--but I never made any friends there.  I couldn't find my niche in a metro of 200k people in the same way that I can in a metro of 2mil.

That being said, you're only moving about 4 hours away.  If you ever miss the Twin Cities, it would be easy as pie to go back for a weekend visit.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies