What is the opposition to the Iran Deal?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:31:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  What is the opposition to the Iran Deal?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is the opposition to the Iran Deal?  (Read 2997 times)
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 19, 2015, 01:44:50 PM »

I really do not get it, I am not a huge fan of the President, but the Iran Deal is a good piece of negotiation. Our sanctions would have run out anyways, plus for our war hawk friends out there, War is still an option. Maybe I'm just the loony leftist, but please explain to me the opposition.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 01:55:07 PM »

It's part of the stupid school of thought that sees any sort of diplomacy with Iran as a 'betrayal' and other vague statements about those hostages who were kidnapped 40 years ago. I've not seen any solid diplomatic arguments-it's just partisan huff about Israel and world leadership.

Hydera

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 02:16:16 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2015, 03:01:45 PM by Hydera »

Israeli domestic politics. And obviously israeli domestic politics rubs off on the GOP.

The right in israel really believe that Iran is trying to create a nuke just to destroy israel(even though it would also mean the deaths of Palestinians).

The GOP and the jewish voter base take cues from israeli pressure.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 02:47:50 PM »

Opposition to diplomacy of supposed enemies. They argue we should never negotiate because they are calling "death to America" and such.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 03:12:45 PM »

Racism
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 03:15:15 PM »

It's an Obama policy.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 04:51:18 PM »

What the morons don't seem to understand is that none of the other countries involved in the deal are going to agree to more sanctions, and US sanctions alone don't harm Iran because we weren't doing trade with them anyway. As for the US taking military action against Iran, it would make the reaction to our invasion of Iraq look enthusiastic by comparison. Our reputation would be destroyed.
mencken
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 06:28:41 PM »

I am not opposed to the deal as such, but there seems to be fundamentally wrong with the Congressional abrogation of its authority to advise and consent to treaties.
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 11:28:57 PM »

Neo-Con artistry. In all serious the only valid reason is that Iran will get more $$$ from lifted sanctions.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 11:31:39 PM »

Because it is a joke deal that doesn't stop Iran from being a rogue nation or from eventually getting nuclear weapons.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 11:33:28 PM »

Because the Republicans are the Party of No. If a Republican President passed this the party would be fawning all over it.
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 02:36:05 AM »

Because it is a joke deal that doesn't stop Iran from being a rogue nation or from eventually getting nuclear weapons.

There's nothing we can do to prevent that. The international community is moving on in regards to this issue, we'd be completely alone.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 05:18:22 AM »

Except for all those Arabs and Jews (together at last!) and Canadians that think this deal is complete ass.  Have you heard the latest?  Iranians will be investigating Iran's secret places, in a secret deal just between the IAEA and Iran (and there is another secret deal we don't know about yet).

This deal is BS.  You can make assumptions about the people against it, you can spin the facts so it all makes sense to you, it won't change the fact that this deal is sh**t and makes the world less safe.  Period.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 01:20:54 PM »
« Edited: August 20, 2015, 02:08:25 PM by Zioneer »

The rest of the world is ending their sanctions, and we never really traded much with Iran anyway, so it's kind of pointless to keep the sanctions up.

And to be honest, the ayatollah and his cronies aren't stupid. If they actually wanted to fight Israel or use a nuclear weapon, they would've done so before now.

Also, we (the US) can't really afford to be hostile towards Iran when there's ISIS running about.
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2015, 07:00:51 PM »

Except for all those Arabs and Jews (together at last!) and Canadians that think this deal is complete ass.  Have you heard the latest?  Iranians will be investigating Iran's secret places, in a secret deal just between the IAEA and Iran (and there is another secret deal we don't know about yet).

This deal is BS.  You can make assumptions about the people against it, you can spin the facts so it all makes sense to you, it won't change the fact that this deal is sh**t and makes the world less safe.  Period.

Iran can't deny any inspections for more than 24 hours. There's no path to a bomb under this deal since it reduces Uranium enrichment to 5% and all the sanctions could be placed back if Iran doesn't comply. It makes the world way more safe.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 07:18:10 PM »

Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 07:33:57 PM »

Paranoid warmongering noise.

The Israeli right has been screaming about Iran being just "a few years away from getting a bomb" since freaking 1992. And our own intelligence agencies determined that Iran stopped research on nuclear weapons in 2003.

It's just "How can I show how much I hate Obama?" and "How can I show everyone how 'pro-Israel' I am?"

Iran's not getting a nuclear weapon. They don't want one. They're not f-ing suicidal. Seeing how we installed a brutal dictator that killed thousands of people for 25 years, and how both the U.S. and Israeli right want to start a war with them, it's hilarious that we're the ones who aren't supposed to trust Iran.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2015, 04:41:37 AM »

I like how people still seem to think it's ONLY Israel that's against it and anybody not Israeli that's against is just a shill for them.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2015, 08:15:35 AM »

I like how you're citing the Stephen Harper government to liberals as "proof" that it's bad.
Small L
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2015, 08:44:47 AM »

I wouldn't describe myself as opposed to the deal, but I'd prefer to just lift the sanctions without requiring Iran to do anything.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2015, 10:30:46 AM »

It has a lot to do with 'protecting' the 'security' of a certain Middle Eastern country
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2015, 10:58:53 AM »

Paranoid warmongering noise.

The Israeli right has been screaming about Iran being just "a few years away from getting a bomb" since freaking 1992. And our own intelligence agencies determined that Iran stopped research on nuclear weapons in 2003.

It's just "How can I show how much I hate Obama?" and "How can I show everyone how 'pro-Israel' I am?"

Iran's not getting a nuclear weapon. They don't want one. They're not f-ing suicidal. Seeing how we installed a brutal dictator that killed thousands of people for 25 years, and how both the U.S. and Israeli right want to start a war with them, it's hilarious that we're the ones who aren't supposed to trust Iran.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2015, 11:01:04 AM »

I mean if I were Iranian, I'd probably be in favor of my country getting the bomb, given what happened to Iraq, in spite of not having a program. Actually having one would probably protect the Iranians from eventual invasion and occupation, something that the North Korean government learned back in 2006
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2015, 01:24:40 PM »

A rogue nation that gave Iraq advice and help in using chemical weapons, a rogue nation that broke the Geneva Convention, a rogue nation that toppled the Iranian Government in 1953, and a rogue government that has used it's UN veto to block even the most moderate action against Israel. Iran has done some absolutely things in the last 30 years but I don't think the US can lecture about. Israeli and US insecurity always cited 9/11 and Yom Kippur but the Iranians have 1953, the entire Shah's regime and the Iran-Iraq war where the US supporter Iraqi war crimes

Now onto the actual deal it actually brings Iran into the international fold-it has already been a rogue nation for the last 30 years and bar Iraq .2 I can't see how we could stop it from wanting to have it's own foreign policy-IIRC the Saudi's have been doing just as much as the Iranians to destabilize the region but you don't seem to oppose that. The claim that we're giving them money to spend on terrorism by uplifting sanctions is just silly because the rest of the world is already lifting the sanctions against Iran, and it will actually help the Iranian economy to develop-something I don't think is awful, they're humans as well. The CIA said Iran would put the majority of the money back into it's own economy

And yes the deal does stop Iran from getting nuclear weapons. It decreases there stockpiles of enriched uranium by 97%, they're stuck at enriching only at only 3% (they need 90% to get nuclear weapons) Besides even if Iran kicked out the inspectors, and went against every agreement, and somehow managed to rebuild all their equipment it would take them a year to make a bomb-currently it would take 3 months.

This deal isnt suppose to turn a shia theocracy into a secular democracy, it's not suppose to make Iran suddenly withdraw from the geopolitical stage-it's suppose to stop Iran from being able to build an atomic bomb, and it's about getting them back into the international arena

mencken
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2015, 01:49:33 PM »
« Edited: August 21, 2015, 01:51:14 PM by mencken »

I mean if I were Iranian, I'd probably be in favor of my country getting the bomb, given what happened to Iraq, in spite of not having a program. Actually having one would probably protect the Iranians from eventual invasion and occupation, something that the North Korean government learned back in 2006

As I understand it, the Israelis are correct in saying that they are only a few weeks away from developing the bomb; the Iranians have just never chosen to exercise that option since actually making a nuclear weapon is their only piece of leverage. Actually going through the final step to develop the bomb would mean greater ostracism from the international community and unrestrained Israeli action.

So, in effect, the deal gets the West to lift counterproductive sanctions, in exchange for Iranians refusing to exercise an option that they would never exercise anyway. Kabuki theater at its finest.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies