Europe-Middle East-Africa Refugee Crisis General Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:43:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Europe-Middle East-Africa Refugee Crisis General Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 47
Author Topic: Europe-Middle East-Africa Refugee Crisis General Thread  (Read 127547 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: September 05, 2015, 06:22:39 PM »
« edited: January 17, 2016, 09:57:16 AM by Simfan34 »

Sturgeon saying Scotland is willing to take in 1000 refugees. A pointless gesture on a meaningless scale. If she was serious she'd propose 50,000. Even that would be pointless, because she has no control over immigration.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #351 on: September 05, 2015, 08:58:52 PM »

My god, has this place always been crawling with neo nazis and racists?! Old Atlas really has gone down the tubes it seems.
Labeling isn't helpful either, I think it's legitimate European people have some concern regarding a large torrent of immigration and being wary about its impacts does not make racist by any means. It's not really a black and white situation and naming is far from helpful in conducting a reasonable debate

And this is what we are getting from the Israeli left.

p.s if I recall properly you're Libertarian pardon me if I take you moral high ground on what is 'left wing view' with a grain of salt

You do not recall properly. I am a liberal, not a libertarian. And, of course, I have told you previously, that i Israel I would have been forced to - albeit rather unhapilly - support Hadash.
MalaspinaGold

« Reply #352 on: September 05, 2015, 09:31:07 PM »

Guys, lay off ag, after all he's working overtime to make the world safe for neoliberalism!
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #353 on: September 05, 2015, 09:37:27 PM »

Guys, lay off ag, after all he's working overtime to make the world safe for neoliberalism!

Smiley

Actually, I am pretty certain, I will be the indirect cause of a few proper revolutions over the next 50 years Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #354 on: September 05, 2015, 09:39:01 PM »

Look, I don't actually think that everyone with a view different to mine on this is a racist or as good as a Nazi (although for what are ultimately religious reasons this is an issue that I can't really bring myself to exactly respect such views either) and if I've made a toxic thread worse then I apologise, but those comments were beyond the pale. Or, rather, were flirting dangerously around its border with a real risk of accidentally crossing it. And terrible things can happen when that ideological border is crossed. Take a step back and read what you (and if you are a 'you' here then you know you are) wrote.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #355 on: September 06, 2015, 06:27:57 AM »

Croatian centre-left Prime Minister Zoran Milanovic bucks the trend on the Balkans (and elsewhere for that matter) and says Croatia is ready to help "people in pursuit of a better life" coming to Europe, and that people fleeing conflict should given the right to remain in the EU.

"I think these people should be given the opportunity to work, to create, to pay taxes, to contribute, since for sure they won’t and shouldn’t go back".

"Thousands of people risk their lives out of desperation, not because they want to take a piece of bread from someone".

"They came because they were persecuted and poor, and because they want the right to a better life. It is up to us to help them as much as we can".

I wonder if Croatia would be acceptable to the refugees - they seem to be going for Northern and Western Europe no matter what. If refugees can go through Croatia without hindrance that will put pressure on Slovenia as the new gateway to Austria, and open a way around Hungary (and Romania).

But of course, he may not follow through on his words.

Will also be interesting how this affect the coming election. It certainly gives HDZ plenty of nationalist ammo.
rob in cal
« Reply #356 on: September 06, 2015, 04:08:22 PM »

I have some questions about Germany and its pledge to take in 800k refugees.  Is this for this year only, and in future years will it take in even more? Is the idea that this is only for temporary refuge, or for permanent legal status in Germany?  Is the CDU excited about inviting in more future left-leaning voters (if in fact this leads to future citizens)? Has parliament voted for this yet?  I'm wondering how people in poorer parts of the EU are feeling about the infusion of all these people who might end up taking jobs in Germany that otherwise might have gone to Europeans from high unemployment countries.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #357 on: September 06, 2015, 06:18:41 PM »

I have some questions about Germany and its pledge to take in 800k refugees.  Is this for this year only, and in future years will it take in even more? Is the idea that this is only for temporary refuge, or for permanent legal status in Germany?  Is the CDU excited about inviting in more future left-leaning voters (if in fact this leads to future citizens)? Has parliament voted for this yet?  I'm wondering how people in poorer parts of the EU are feeling about the infusion of all these people who might end up taking jobs in Germany that otherwise might have gone to Europeans from high unemployment countries.

Well for Germany, it is almost quite convenient in that they have been facing an imminent demographic threat from an ageing and declining population. So a sudden influx of young, and well educated (about 40% of the Syrian refugees are university educated) people is potentially a blessing in disguise.

I can't post the source, but apparently about 60% of Germans support the levels of refugees that are expected to arrive being proposed.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #358 on: September 06, 2015, 06:25:19 PM »

I can't post the source, but apparently about 60% of Germans support the levels of refugees that are expected to arrive being proposed.

you can just make a hole in the web address in the link - then there is no problem.
palandio

« Reply #359 on: September 07, 2015, 02:59:07 AM »

[...] Germany and its pledge to take in 800k refugees. [...]
That pledge at the moment doesn't exist.
The number 800k is a projection on how many asylum requests will have been made in Germany in 2015. Some of these are by people from Kosovo, Albania, etc. Legislation will be changed soon so that appliants from these countries can be sent back immediately.
The "pledge" is a misinterpreted administrative order that says German authorities should not check whether Syrians that arrive in Germany have already been registered as refugees in other EU countries. The original purpose of this was to relieve the responsible authorities. The effect can of course be seen now.
palandio

« Reply #360 on: September 07, 2015, 10:33:05 AM »

The humanitarian aid organization of the Maltese Order estimates that at the moment ca. 30.000 refugees are arriving in Pireios/Greece every day and that the same number of people is departing from Syria and its neighboring coutries in the direction of Europe every day.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #361 on: September 07, 2015, 10:45:56 AM »

In the LOL category: the supposedly 17-year old refugee from Iraqi Kurdistan who appeared in an emotional television interview with Finnish Prime Minister Juha Sipilä - leading Sipilä to open one of his houses for refugees - turns out to be 20 years old in reality. What's more, he's been in jail in the past and is posting hateful comments toward Finns on his Facebook page.

I rest my case... Roll Eyes
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #362 on: September 07, 2015, 06:06:45 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRhI0Xqv5Rc
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #363 on: September 07, 2015, 06:22:58 PM »

So glad that these people are going to enrich European culture, which is solely based on the Avengers and McDonald's nowadays, as we just learned in the Nordic thread Smiley
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #364 on: September 08, 2015, 06:39:22 AM »

Yeah, but in that crowd of hundreds of bullies and assholes we saw two kids and an old guy......FEEL SORRY FOR THEM!.....not for the reasons you think, but because those bullies and assholes are their fathers and brothers.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #365 on: September 08, 2015, 06:57:42 AM »

are y'all telling me that if you were unexpectedly stopped by authorities just when you've almost arrived at the place of salvation that you've been trying to get to for gods know how long, you wouldn't be at all angry? you wouldn't lash out even a little bit?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #366 on: September 08, 2015, 07:01:40 AM »

A flow chart on refugees from which countries are in which countries:
http://pejl.svt.se/flyktingstrommar-en/#sy2010
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #367 on: September 08, 2015, 07:08:00 AM »

are y'all telling me that if you were unexpectedly stopped by authorities just when you've almost arrived at the place of salvation that you've been trying to get to for gods know how long, you wouldn't be at all angry? you wouldn't lash out even a little bit?
They've already reached salvation, they're just trying to get a better seat now.  And acting like spoiled children to try and get that better seat.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #368 on: September 08, 2015, 07:09:42 AM »

A flow chart on refugees from which countries are in which countries:
http://pejl.svt.se/flyktingstrommar-en/#sy2010
Why does France get so many "others" and "unknowns"?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #369 on: September 08, 2015, 07:12:07 AM »

Why does France get so many "others" and "unknowns"?
My guess: many of these people are from Francophone Africa. These people often still tend to see France as some kind of a "promised land".
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #370 on: September 08, 2015, 07:18:52 AM »

Those aren't refugees though are they?  I was under the impression they (the people of Francophone Africa) could get French citizenship if they wanted it...or something?  I suppose one could be both.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #371 on: September 08, 2015, 07:21:09 AM »

Those aren't refugees though are they?  I was under the impression they (the people of Francophone Africa) could get French citizenship if they wanted it...or something?  I suppose one could be both.
Depends on your definition of refugee, I suppose. Most of them are probably looking for better opportunities in life. Someone from France can have dual citizenship, but it's not as if every Francophone person from Africa can get French citizenship. If that would be the case, half of West Africa would already be living in France.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #372 on: September 08, 2015, 07:37:48 AM »

The scum came up with something new: Placing stickers with anti-Islamic slogans in the streets and rigging them razor blades beneath, so that you cut yourself when you're trying to remove them.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #373 on: September 08, 2015, 07:46:20 AM »

They've already reached salvation, they're just trying to get a better seat now.  And acting like spoiled children to try and get that better seat.

i don't know if you've noticed, but hungary isn't exactly a great place for outsiders right now...
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
evergreen
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #374 on: September 08, 2015, 07:48:46 AM »

in other news, dead0 is literally referring to refugees from the worst humanitarian crisis of the century as "spoiled children". surprising? not really. disgusting? very.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 47  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies