Europe-Middle East-Africa Refugee Crisis General Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:56:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Europe-Middle East-Africa Refugee Crisis General Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 47
Author Topic: Europe-Middle East-Africa Refugee Crisis General Thread  (Read 127432 times)
ag
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2015, 07:56:12 PM »

Oh wow.

Maybe its time to consider at least temporarily stepping away from your keyboards gentlemen? Smiley
Probably the best idea. Arguing with nazis never really seemed to work anyway.

You cannot argue with people who want to kill you.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2015, 03:42:37 AM »
« Edited: August 23, 2015, 03:46:21 AM by Beezer »

Despite all the negative news about the asylum crisis here (80.000 people coming in) and the massive incompetence/neglect of the SPÖVP government, I should also point out that there have been no serious violent acts so far in the country against asylum seeker or their centers/homes.

In other countries, like Germany etc., asylum centers and homes are already burning down to the ground ...

I guess the FPÖ really does serve as a valve to relieve nationalist/xenophobic pressure. I suppose German mainstream parties only have to blame themselves for vilifying right-wing populists who might have otherwise acted as a force for de-radicalizing xenophobic anger and channeling it into more legitimate avenues.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2015, 05:09:10 AM »

Oh wow.

Maybe its time to consider at least temporarily stepping away from your keyboards gentlemen? Smiley
Probably the best idea. Arguing with nazis never really seemed to work anyway.

Protip: being Jewish does not allow you to resort to argumentum ad Hitlerum every time your idiotic views are challenged.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2015, 05:29:23 AM »

This is obviously not a sustainable state of affairs.

European states can either do nothing and see waves of immigrants keep on coming, or actually spend reasonable amounts of money on defence, act to ensure stability in the source countries, and stem the flow.

European countries have plenty of military force to stop this if that is the way they choose to do it. Lack of defence spending has nothing to do with this.

Not sure how Europe should be able to stabilize either Syria, South Sudan or Eritrea. I think we should try harder, but outside intervention has a tendency to make things worse.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2015, 05:30:31 AM »

This thread needs to be moderated much harder - or closed.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2015, 05:52:17 AM »

It looks like zero posts in this thread have been reported.  There is always the "report to moderator" button to let Afleitch know of any problems here.  Or just PM him.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2015, 05:57:19 AM »

It looks like zero posts in this thread have been reported.  There is always the "report to moderator" button to let Afleitch know of any problems here.  Or just PM him.

I guess it is because this is a WTF thread. You do not really know were to start or whether to be bothered at all, but it is a shame we can not discuss this serious issue in a reasonable or even semi-reasonable manner.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2015, 06:01:54 AM »

People were replying to one of our oldest trolls, how did we think it was going to go?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2015, 06:08:18 AM »

Foreign Minister Sebastian Kurz (ÖVP) presents a 5-point plan to solve the asylum crisis:

(use Google Translate for translation)

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.bmeia.gv.at/das-ministerium/presse/aussendungen/2015/08/fuenf-ansaetze-zur-behandlung-der-fluechtlingskrise
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2015, 06:17:00 AM »

Rough translation (I guess you can figure most of it out):

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2015, 06:25:01 AM »

Despite the mega-influx of asylum seekers (80.000 this year), there are also examples of how it can be done:

http://kurier.at/chronik/oesterreich/helfen-als-selbstverstaendlichkeit-23-jaehrige-nimmt-30-syrer-auf/147.508.519

A 23-year old woman from a town in my district decided to take up 30 asylum seekers from Syria recently and housed them in the hotel of her parents.

Now, the (Muslim) Syrian men are helping to renovate the local (Catholic) church, voluntarily:

So, it's not all bad.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2015, 06:34:08 AM »

Meanwhile, Heidenau near Dresden (Germany) has seen the 2nd night of rioting by NPDers and police:

Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #62 on: August 23, 2015, 06:57:15 AM »

Dresden riots: Protesters in Germany attack refugee buses shouting 'foreigners out'

Up to 1,000 protesters have clashed with police in eastern Germany in riots reportedly sparked by the arrival of 250 migrants.

Time to start droning the racists, IMO.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #63 on: August 23, 2015, 07:09:29 AM »

I guess it is because this is a WTF thread. You do not really know were to start or whether to be bothered at all, but it is a shame we can not discuss this serious issue in a reasonable or even semi-reasonable manner.
This thread of yours is much better: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=216547.0. However, I understand that this one should be focused on the refugee crisis in practice while yours is about solving the issue.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #64 on: August 23, 2015, 07:52:28 AM »

The stupidity in this thread could power an entire nuclear plant!!!
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: August 23, 2015, 09:46:15 PM »

The stupidity in this thread could power an entire nuclear plant!!!

Refugee homes are being burnt, and I am simply hyperventilating, of course.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2015, 02:49:02 PM »

Err, David ag has always said he's Jewish. I see no reason to doubt that.

Also holy smokes this thread is ...
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2015, 06:10:46 PM »

A fisherman has taken a video alleging to show a Greek vessel sinking an inflatable boat with about fifty refugees on board.

The refugees were rescued by the fisherman and taken back to Turkey.

Greek authorities denied knowing anything about the event, stating that they have rescued thousands of migrants in recent days.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/greece/11803114/Greek-coast-guard-deliberately-sunk-migrant-boat-in-Turkish-waters-fishermans-film-alleges.html

Boatloads of foreigners seeking to make landfall on your coasts illegally is an invasion. If Europe ever decides to treat this as such, they could stop this boat people nonsense in a day.

So, I can shoot people walking in front of my house, after all, they might try to "invade" my house.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2015, 06:49:33 PM »

Despite the mega-influx of asylum seekers (80.000 this year), there are also examples of how it can be done:

http://kurier.at/chronik/oesterreich/helfen-als-selbstverstaendlichkeit-23-jaehrige-nimmt-30-syrer-auf/147.508.519

A 23-year old woman from a town in my district decided to take up 30 asylum seekers from Syria recently and housed them in the hotel of her parents.

Now, the (Muslim) Syrian men are helping to renovate the local (Catholic) church, voluntarily:

So, it's not all bad.

If you treat people like human beings instead of a swarm of locusts, than of course they will feel indebted to the community that does so. Imagine that!
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2015, 03:10:29 AM »

There is sure to be a drop in crime against Europeans if you refuse to accommodate a mass of destitute people. That is very rational. You've thought this through well. I am glad you are around to tell it like it is.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2015, 07:30:22 AM »

Angela Merkel Booed By Anti-Immigration Protesters During Refugee Visit

German Chancellor Angela Merkel has been booed during a visit to a shelter for asylum seekers which was the focus of clashes at the weekend.

Far-right protesters shouted "traitor" as she arrived at the newly-opened centre in Heidenau.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34061532#?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2015, 11:56:17 AM »

Today was another sad day on the migrant front and (sadly) I predicted that this would happen a few weeks ago:

I don't know what our horrible SPÖVP government is waiting for ? More excesses in the camps ? Dead people ? Attacks by racists against asylum seekers ?

Time to shut down the border and increase border controls by 1000%.

Migrant crisis: Grim find of bodies in Austria lorry

At least 20 migrants have been found dead in a lorry abandoned in a motorway lay-by near the eastern border with Hungary, the Austrian authorities say.

The number of dead could be as high as 50, police say. Their bodies had started to decompose.

The lorry has been moved to an undisclosed location for detailed examination.

The grim find comes as a summit focusing on migration takes place in the Austrian capital, Vienna.

Tens of thousands of migrants from conflict-hit states in the Middle East and Africa have been trying to make their way to Europe.

Austria's Chancellor Werner Faymann said the tragedy showed once again "how necessary it is to save lives by combating criminals and people traffickers".

The vehicle - a refrigerated lorry with Hungarian licence plates - was parked off the A4 motorway between Parndorf and Neusiedl am See, according to Burgenland police chief Hans Peter Doskozil.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34073534
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2015, 01:25:07 PM »

Let's hope this tragedy will lead to Merkel, Faymann and Co. introducing the tough measures that are now needed and that I have advocated for months now: shutting down the border, increase border control significantly, introduce a dragnet intra-country search for people smugglers and increase sentences for caught people smugglers from 5 years max. to 15-20 years in prison.

These measures are the only way to send the people smugglers a simple lesson: That they cannot sh*t on our heads and the heads of the traumatized migrants and crowd in tons of people into trucks like chicken and let them slowly die as they drive for hours through Europe, with 30°C outside and doors locked.

But as I know the politically correct, naive left-leftists Merkel, Faymann and Co. I'm sure they will not learn from these tragedies and just keep on doing what they have done until now: talking and leading a comfortable life of elitists with their 10.000€ monthly salary, far removed from the needs of the average German/Austrian citizen and even further away from the lives of the refugees ...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2015, 01:26:30 PM »

...how would that help exactly? I mean in the context of the specific horrifying news of today.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2015, 01:27:19 PM »

But as I know the politically correct, naive left-leftists Merkel, Faymann and Co. I'm sure they will not learn from these tragedies and just keep on doing what they have done until now: talking and leading a comfortable life of elitists with their 10.000€ monthly salary, far removed from the needs of the average German/Austrian citizen and even further away from the lives of the refugees ...

wtf..
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 47  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies