Europe-Middle East-Africa Refugee Crisis General Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:30:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Europe-Middle East-Africa Refugee Crisis General Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 47
Author Topic: Europe-Middle East-Africa Refugee Crisis General Thread  (Read 127198 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: October 17, 2015, 06:24:36 AM »

The Daily Mail often sucks, no doubt, but if the thing being posted about actually happened (as in this case), this excuse for an argument is stupid.
So, either a refugee, a Muslim who immigrated a long time ago or a SD member wanting to flare up racism could have done it.

No proof it's a refugee or not.
and if it's proven it's a refugee?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #676 on: October 17, 2015, 06:47:57 AM »
« Edited: October 17, 2015, 06:50:18 AM by Old Europe »

Assassination attempt on Cologne mayoral candidate Henriette Reker. Reker is in surgery. The perpetrator is in police custody, reportedly he claims opposition to current immigration policies as motive. Election is tomorrow and will not be postponed.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #677 on: October 17, 2015, 06:52:14 AM »

Wow. That's some disgusting sh**t.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #678 on: October 17, 2015, 07:04:41 AM »

Assassination attempt on Cologne mayoral candidate Henriette Reker. Reker is in surgery. The perpetrator is in police custody, reportedly he claims opposition to current immigration policies as motive. Election is tomorrow and will not be postponed.

Sad news.

Tried googling her. Reker is an indy Green supported by CDU and parts of FDP?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #679 on: October 17, 2015, 08:48:29 AM »

Sad news.

Tried googling her. Reker is an indy Green supported by CDU and parts of FDP?

Basically, yes.

Perpetrator is a 44-year-old unemployed painter and varnisher, who probably picked Reker as a target because she's the departmental head responsible for the managment of refugees within the city administration.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #680 on: October 17, 2015, 09:08:06 AM »

Tragic and sad.

But this is exactly the stuff I tried to warn you about. This silly, reckless mass immigration policy "stresses" the native population unnecessarily and makes them agitated. That is why I favour the common sense policy of only letting in the number of migrants the system is designed for, while directing the surplus immigrants to their airport so they can board a plane that takes them home from where they came from (or nearby).
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #681 on: October 17, 2015, 09:44:31 AM »

There are always going to be crazy people. I think we should wait before somehow laying the blame at the feet of everyone critical of Merkel's migrant policies. Of course you just know the mainstream parties will pounce on this and declare that all those not in favor of the government's position have blood on their hands.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #682 on: October 17, 2015, 10:18:53 AM »

Tragic and sad.

But this is exactly the stuff I tried to warn you about. This silly, reckless mass immigration policy "stresses" the native population unnecessarily and makes them agitated. That is why I favour the common sense policy of only letting in the number of migrants the system is designed for, while directing the surplus immigrants to their airport so they can board a plane that takes them home from where they came from (or nearby).

Why send them back to a war zone?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #683 on: October 17, 2015, 10:19:48 AM »

There are always going to be crazy people. I think we should wait before somehow laying the blame at the feet of everyone critical of Merkel's migrant policies. Of course you just know the mainstream parties will pounce on this and declare that all those not in favor of the government's position have blood on their hands.

Kölner Stadt-Anzeigersays says he shouted something about Angela Merkel's refugee policy while attacking, there doesn't seem to be any doubt this was politically motivated.

politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #684 on: October 17, 2015, 10:21:43 AM »

A former school i Kånna in Småland (southern Sweden), which should have been used as a refugee center, has been torched.

Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #685 on: October 17, 2015, 10:50:45 AM »
« Edited: October 17, 2015, 10:52:25 AM by Old Europe »

Well, judging from what you can read in respective blogs, Internet forums and Facebook groups there are huge portions of the Pegida/pro-AfD scene which use a totally overblown, martial rethoric in their discussions. They talk about how Merkel committed "high treason" with her immigration policies and that Germans have a "right to resist" against that in accordance with Article 20, Section 4 of the constitution and so on. And it's always possible, if not likely, that someone will take that crap a little too serious at some point. The gallows at the Pegida rally in Dresden was the first step, this is the next. The next level will probably letter bombs to party headquarters or something like that.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #686 on: October 17, 2015, 10:53:17 AM »

Tragic and sad.

You don't yield to terrorists.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #687 on: October 17, 2015, 11:44:22 AM »

@Old Europe: Population changes are de facto irreversible and given the number of asylum seekers is very large (+ will result in family reunifications) and is unlikely to go down in the foreseeable future (at least according to UNHCR) it is an usual situation, especially with the next election so far out.

The question is if there is a point beyond which it simply isn't fair to consider something a normal political decision? And if you are approaching that point?

Germany doesn't really have constitutional methods for dealing with this situation (other than just pretending it is a normal situation).

A Volksbefragung (people's inquiry) is the only referendum option, and just non-binding plebiscite. So using it would rely on politicians being willing to follow a result.

The German constitution only allows early elections after a vote of no confidence or inability to form a majority government. So not really an option.

Given that there isn't really any realistic options for getting to vote on this monumental decision some strong reaction is unavoidable from the opponents. So far it has actually been milder than one would have expected (Germans are a remarkably disciplined bunch - and so are Swedes). You could hope civil disobedience will be the weapon of choice rather than violence, but continued low level violence with arson against refugee facilities and some direct attacks seems likely.

You would have had attacks from hardcore racists anyway, but the frustration of being unable to influence this is bound to increase the level of violence.

(I will emphasize that what makes it monumental is the cumulated effect of a continued migration - if one believes it is a temporary crisis it becomes a more "normal" crisis, but that seems unrealistic.)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #688 on: October 17, 2015, 11:49:19 AM »

Slovenia has deployed units from its Army to help the police guard their border to Croatia, while Hungary has chosen to reinstate border control towards Croatia.

It seems more and more likely that the alternative route through Romania, Ukraine and Poland will be pursued.
Beezer

Political Matrix

« Reply #689 on: October 17, 2015, 01:20:29 PM »

Well, judging from what you can read in respective blogs, Internet forums and Facebook groups there are huge portions of the Pegida/pro-AfD scene which use a totally overblown, martial rethoric in their discussions. They talk about how Merkel committed "high treason" with her immigration policies and that Germans have a "right to resist" against that in accordance with Article 20, Section 4 of the constitution and so on. And it's always possible, if not likely, that someone will take that crap a little too serious at some point. The gallows at the Pegida rally in Dresden was the first step, this is the next. The next level will probably letter bombs to party headquarters or something like that.

Meh, how's this any different from what you will encounter on left wing sites and their rhetoric towards governmental/state institutions? Obviously an attack like this is despicable but blaming a party like the AfD for the actions of a single lunatic is completely ridiculous.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #690 on: October 17, 2015, 03:21:23 PM »

But this is exactly the stuff I tried to warn you about. This silly, reckless mass immigration policy "stresses" the native population unnecessarily and makes them agitated.

Cry me a river. Clearly racist first-worlders are the people we should sympathize with.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #691 on: October 17, 2015, 03:22:57 PM »

Cry me a river. Clearly racist first-worlders are the people we should sympathize with.
Because everyone who wants to uphold the idea of a nationstate and believes in limiting immigration is automatically racist Roll Eyes
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #692 on: October 17, 2015, 04:40:21 PM »

But this is exactly the stuff I tried to warn you about. This silly, reckless mass immigration policy "stresses" the native population unnecessarily and makes them agitated.

Well, we should certainly sympathize with the victims of the huge increase in crime that mass immigration has brought to Europe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immigration_and_crime#Europe

http://www.d-intl.com/2013/11/08/multicultural-sweden-explodes-in-violence/?lang=en

http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/5195/sweden-rape?anid=7
The Last Northerner

« Reply #693 on: October 17, 2015, 06:03:33 PM »

Those damn racists need to have their votes drowned out!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #694 on: October 17, 2015, 06:13:47 PM »

Yes.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #695 on: October 18, 2015, 12:56:23 AM »

Yes.

So you are not even trying anymore to hide the fact that you are in essence a Left-Fascist ?

By throwing the whole native citizen population of Europe into the "racist pot" and wanting their votes and voices be drowned out ?

The very people who elected our politically correct leaders (Merkel, Faymann & Co) and not the millions of (illegal) migrants who line up at the borders of countries they pick and choose to get welfare from ?

And only your views are counting anymore ? The posters with the (S) avatar are finally showing their true faces ... Roll Eyes
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #696 on: October 18, 2015, 01:39:25 AM »
« Edited: October 18, 2015, 01:41:01 AM by Californian Tony Returns »

Sorry if I don't sympathize too much with the plight of people who feel entitled to their privileges just because they were born in a certain place and have a certain religion/skin color, and want to deny those privileges to the rest of the world because muh homeland. I, as any decent person, stand with the unprivileged and the downtrodden.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #697 on: October 18, 2015, 01:57:57 AM »

^ This is basically the debate between the old European left-winger and the new European left-winger.

The old European left-winger worked for the well-being of his people, attempted to uplift the working class, and introduced a welfare system based on solidarity in a homogeneous society.

The new European left-winger has given up on the white working class and instead belittles them and their lifestyle, either doesn't really care about maintaining the welfare state or simply believes things about the productivity of non-Western immigrants that are not true, and thinks solidarity based on traditional nation-state patterns is racist and should be eradicated, just as the nation-state itself should be eradicated.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #698 on: October 18, 2015, 02:13:43 AM »

You think conservative party led austerity is bad. Just wait until we redistribute all the wealth between Europe and Africa. 
Beezer

Political Matrix

« Reply #699 on: October 18, 2015, 03:39:19 AM »

Afghan refugee stabbed and killed another Afghan in a refugee accomodation in eastern Germany. Then proceeded to stab an innocent bystander on the street who is now seriously injured as well.

http://www.spiegel.de/panorama/justiz/fluechtlinge-asylbewerber-bei-streit-toedlich-verletzt-a-1058354.html

German police union now calls for a fence to be erected at Germany's border:

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/fluechtlinge-polizeigewerkschaft-fordert-grenzzaun-a-1058353.html
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 47  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies