Kasich: I would ban teachers' lounges
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 03:03:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Kasich: I would ban teachers' lounges
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Kasich: I would ban teachers' lounges  (Read 6147 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2015, 08:59:32 PM »

I'm no Kasich dickrider, but if you look at the video it's clearly a joke.  He starts off by saying "If I was not president but King..." and then is laughing the whole time and the audience is laughing with him.
No! A moderate Republican cannot exist! It's impossible!

How dare you question Democratic supporters of the moderate, centrist, very progressive Hillary Clinton! She will be more progressive than Obama, but will be as centrist and thus electable! Why don't you understand? She will bring about radical change and centrist compromise. Only Hillary can do it.
What the hell does this has to do with anything? Nobody mentioned Hillary, the Democrats, or Obama at all. They just simply stated the truth that Kasich being a moderate is incorrect.
... So, a joke about being King has turned him into a far-right loon.

When Hillary makes a joke, it's hilarious!

Meanwhile, Kasich is obviously insane and couldn't possibly have been joking. For Evidence Two, he once argued for a balanced budget and lower taxes. Nope, can't be moderate.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2015, 09:03:24 PM »

I'm no Kasich dickrider, but if you look at the video it's clearly a joke.  He starts off by saying "If I was not president but King..." and then is laughing the whole time and the audience is laughing with him.
No! A moderate Republican cannot exist! It's impossible!

How dare you question Democratic supporters of the moderate, centrist, very progressive Hillary Clinton! She will be more progressive than Obama, but will be as centrist and thus electable! Why don't you understand? She will bring about radical change and centrist compromise. Only Hillary can do it.
What the hell does this has to do with anything? Nobody mentioned Hillary, the Democrats, or Obama at all. They just simply stated the truth that Kasich being a moderate is incorrect.
... So, a joke about being King has turned him into a far-right loon.

When Hillary makes a joke, it's hilarious!

Meanwhile, Kasich is obviously insane and couldn't possibly have been joking. For Evidence Two, he once argued for a balanced budget and lower taxes. Nope, can't be moderate.

Republican politicians can never win with Atlas.
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2015, 01:45:09 AM »

Is this seriously the world we want to live in?  A world where a presidential candidate can't make a joke without some partisan hack ignoring the context and pretending he was serious?  We can just have every candidate be twice as boring as Scott Walker and five times as timid as Hillary Clinton.  Is this what you want?
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2015, 02:46:19 AM »

John Kasich is a far-right Republican of the 1990s which makes him a 'moderate' Republican in the 2010s.
Mhmm.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2015, 06:11:51 AM »

Is this seriously the world we want to live in?  A world where a presidential candidate can't make a joke without some partisan hack ignoring the context and pretending he was serious?  We can just have every candidate be twice as boring as Scott Walker and five times as timid as Hillary Clinton.  Is this what you want?

Every Republican, you mean.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2015, 06:40:23 AM »

I'd be perfectly happy if politicians avoided humor, actually. It's almost never actually funny and more often than not it's an excuse to distract and avoid the risk of expressing anything serious or, at best, an appeal to the cheap seats whose occupants will guffaw as your oh-so-snappy one-liner gets replayed again and again on the news and the internet, and maybe they'll even repeat it obnoxiously in casual conversation in the hopes that they can cash in on a few laughs themselves, e.g. "Obama's a big dummy because he uses a TelePrompTer" or whatever.

Anyway, if you think that this is funny - "Teachers are lazy! LOL!" cried the ex-investment banker, formerly of Lehman Brothers - you deserve a slap on the face.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2015, 06:44:22 AM »

Kasich wasn't making a joke; he was reflecting his attitude toward public employees.  He was dismissing every legitimate grievance a public school teacher may have.  I'll bet he doesn't care if his billionaire donors have a private club where they go and complain about having to pay higher taxes.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2015, 10:28:52 AM »

No, he's not "joking." He's just making clear that he utterly despises unions, of course, which we knew, but that teachers are nothing more than stock villains/characters on the loony right stage.
Rockefeller GOP
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2015, 12:58:17 PM »

If you can't be a "moderate Republican" while not being a fan of unions, then there have been under ten ever.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2015, 01:09:42 PM »

What I learned from the GOP candidates this week...the two biggest threats to America:
- Teachers
- Babies
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2015, 01:20:21 PM »

If you can't be a "moderate Republican" while not being a fan of unions, then there have been under ten ever.

And those ten were legitimate Republicans In Name Only.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2015, 04:45:28 PM »

No, he's not "joking." He's just making clear that he utterly despises unions, of course, which we knew, but that teachers are nothing more than stock villains/characters on the loony right stage.
If he had said he would his as President, I wouldn't support him. Fortunately, he's not running for King. If he was, his would turn me off.

Perhaps Guiliani or Cuomo for King? I don't know who to support for the Kingly Election next year, now that Kasich said that.

TL;DR: #SayNoToKingJohn
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2015, 05:25:40 PM »

Here is the forum this was taken from.  His point seems to be that teachers are too scared of reform, and that the conversations they have between each other and with the unions drive this.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2015, 06:51:41 PM »

He  must not recognize that teacher grade papers there and discuss techniques. It's muh like a break room in private industry.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2015, 07:06:58 PM »

Every time someone brings up an issue Kasich isn't moderate on: "That's ONE issue! He's moderate on literally everything else!"

But anyway, it's not a joke. Jokes are supposed to be funny.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2015, 07:30:46 PM »

Every time someone brings up an issue Kasich isn't moderate on: "That's ONE issue! He's moderate on literally everything else!"

But anyway, it's not a joke. Jokes are supposed to be funny.
He's not moderate on abortion. That's... About it. He won Union voters, which turned out higher in 2014 than in 2010, and even won nearly half the endorsements of unions in the states. That was after he began reconciliation with them and moderating yet again. Or, perhaps, Mr. 1% Intelligence, you know all those unions - they were "losers" and "idiots".

This is not an issue. We aren't electing him King.

He  must not recognize that teacher grade papers there and discuss techniques. It's muh like a break room in private industry.
.... You know we aren't electing him king, right?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2015, 07:38:12 PM »

I didn't know Huntsman was a supporter of teachers' unions.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2015, 07:46:39 PM »

Im not a big fan of Unions either
Lyin' Steve
SteveMcQueen

« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2015, 10:24:39 PM »

I've seen this getting traction in a couple places on the internet.  Here's the full context:

"I'll tell you what the unions do, unfortunately, too much of the time.  There's a constant negative comment to.. they're gonna take your benefits, they're gonna take your pay, they're gonna... so if I were, not president, but if I was king in America, I would abolish all teacher's lounges, where they sit together and worry about, oh, woe is us..."  [laughter and applause]

I actually watched the whole video.  He was in a good mood all night and had a few laugh lines, but that was the biggest laugh he got.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2015, 10:49:38 PM »

It's a joke rather than a policy position.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2015, 11:06:56 PM »

I didn't know Huntsman was a supporter of teachers' unions.

I say Huntsman 2.0 because I and much of Atlas thought that he was going to be relatively moderate, especially given the first debate. However, he's been saying things that make him not seem nearly as moderate.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2015, 12:10:04 PM »

It displays his attitude towards teachers and teachers' unions.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2015, 01:37:35 PM »

The only people exhibiting any kind of shock over this are literally only leftists. No Republican here is showing any kind of shock or (?) disappointment.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2015, 06:40:05 PM »

The only people exhibiting any kind of shock over this are literally only leftists. No Republican here is showing any kind of shock or (?) disappointment.

Then I will be the first to do so. This was a bad joke and not funny. It has a large downside for teachers to be offended. I know my Mom would be offended if she heard this. And there is really no upside here. It wasn't some fatal disaster, but it was an unforced error.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2015, 08:48:08 PM »

Then I will be the first to do so. This was a bad joke and not funny. It has a large downside for teachers to be offended. I know my Mom would be offended if she heard this. And there is really no upside here. It wasn't some fatal disaster, but it was an unforced error.
Wouldn't anyone in education have stories about nasty stuff said in teachers lounges?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies