North Korea again threatens war with South
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:40:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  North Korea again threatens war with South
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: North Korea again threatens war with South  (Read 2703 times)
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 20, 2015, 09:01:49 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/skorea-rival-koreas-trading-artillery-fire-border-084137726.html;_ylt=AwrBT765hdZVlmYA0EWl87UF;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--

[quote]The North's official Korean Central News Agency reported Friday that leader Kim Jong Un ordered at an emergency military meeting that his troops "be fully ready for any military operations at any time from 5 p.m. (0730 GMT) Friday."

The report said that "military commanders were urgently dispatched for operations to attack South Korean psychological warfare facilities if the South doesn't stop operating them."

Seoul said the North fired Thursday across the Demilitarized Zone to back up an earlier threat to attack South Korean border loudspeakers that, after a lull of 11 years, have started broadcasting anti-Pyongyang propaganda. North Korea, which denies firing at the South, later said the South Korean shells landed near four military posts but caused no injuries. No one was reported injured in the South, either, though hundreds were evacuated from frontline towns.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 09:04:12 PM »

It is time to blow these bastards to Hell...
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 09:10:21 PM »

Usual North Korean trolling
andrew_c
Canada

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 03:12:32 AM »

Time to give those crazies some democracy.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 04:15:31 AM »

Can we send Dennis Rodman a mission to shoot Kim-Jong Un with a gun and institute a UN puppet state for ~5 years?
Murica!
whyshouldigiveyoumyname?
Angola

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -10.00

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 08:10:35 AM »

North Korea trying to be taken seriously, how cute.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 04:07:27 PM »

One of these days, Li'l Kim is going to take it a step too far. I just hope one of his generals takes him out when that becomes, before the situation escalates too much.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 09:00:32 PM »

Grass is green and all that.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 07:35:00 AM »

Did I miss something? Where's the war?!
Jacobtm

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 09:41:52 AM »

The U.S. has over 28,000 troops there, and we have been giving S. Korea aid forever.

N. Korea gets aid too but not from the world's top military.

I'm no military expert, but it seems like absent the USA, the DPRK would easily conquer the South and re-unite the Korean peninsula.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 01:56:12 PM »

I almost hope they follow through on their threats this time around, and outright invade South Korea -again.  It would give us an excuse to at long last extinguish this regime once and for all time.  
Jacobtm

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 02:25:00 PM »

I almost hope they follow through on their threats this time around, and outright invade South Korea -again.  It would give us an excuse to at long last extinguish this regime once and for all time.  

You want the U.S. to go to war with a nuclear power?

You're insane.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 02:31:15 PM »

You want the U.S. to go to war with a nuclear power?

You're insane.

Try this.  You can thank me later. 
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2015, 03:58:46 PM »

I'm no military expert, but it seems like absent the USA, the DPRK would easily conquer the South and re-unite the Korean peninsula.
Definitely not an expert. In terms of both materiel and training, the Republic has considerable advantage over the Kim Dynasty. The South would win any full fledged war, but Seoul would suffer considerable damage in the initial stages, so it certainly won't start a war tho it definitely would end it. If the North were to start a war, I don't see China intervening to save Kim. At most the PLA would cross the Yalu to keep North Korean refugees out of China proper via a combination of force and humanitarian aid.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2015, 10:55:17 PM »

This. In the grand scheme of things it would be for the best.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2015, 05:33:21 AM »
« Edited: August 23, 2015, 05:41:35 AM by politicus »

This. In the grand scheme of things it would be for the best.

Seoul is megacity and close enough to the border to be annihilated.
Beezer

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2015, 10:02:33 AM »

About that annihilation...does the North have enough ammunition for its (presumably) outdated military hardware along the DMZ? I'd assume both the US and ROK should be able to take out most of that stuff relatively quickly in case of an actual conflict.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2015, 11:03:26 AM »

I guess North Korea's grain supplies are running short again and they need to extort more out of SK and the West.

This story comes up roughly twice a year.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2015, 11:19:35 AM »

About that annihilation...does the North have enough ammunition for its (presumably) outdated military hardware along the DMZ? I'd assume both the US and ROK should be able to take out most of that stuff relatively quickly in case of an actual conflict.

It is generally assumed they could not do it quickly enough. It is an enormous risk.

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2015, 12:57:40 PM »

It is generally assumed they could not do it quickly enough. It is an enormous risk.
and that's the kicker really.  Yeah, the Norks sh**t is old and probably not all that well maintained (at least compared to modern western powers, like S.Korea), but artillery (especially the kind they're using) isn't all that complicated or necessarily maintenance heavy (not like aircraft or ships).  Yeah, we can probably knock the vast majority of this old equipment out fairly quickly (we do have 60 years of heavy spying on the stuff), but if you live in Seoul do you want to risk it?  And even in a reasonable best case scenario (norks don't launch nukes, or the nukes fail, or we shoot the nukes down, and the artillery pointed at Seoul is shut down quickly), Seoul still gets hit really really hard.

then the humanitarian crisis hits when whatever's left in the north climbs out from under the rubble.

It might be better in the long long run to get this all out of the way since it's all almost inevitable anyway, but our side shouldn't be the one that starts it.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2015, 11:55:09 PM »

Not if we launch a massive planned pre-emptive strike against all of the DPRK's nuclear, border defense, missile forces, air force, radar sites, command & control centers and radar/SAM sites.

We should've launched pre-emptive strikes against North Korea's nuclear program before it became truly operational (Iran is a different scenario and can't be compared).

China will not go to war with the USA for something like this. If anything they will intervene to dismantle the regime themselves in the northern parts of the country (good buffer zone for refugees/POW's). They know this had to happen at some point and will reach a fair accommodation with the USA/ROK. Probably something like North Korea gets integrated into the Republic of Korea and American/"Western" forces leave the peninsula in due time.

It sounds bad but I really do think that in North Korea there would be no major post-war insurgency and we would be welcomed as liberators. One kick in the door and the whole rotten structure will collapse (I know, I know, but it's true).
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2015, 11:56:35 PM »

Probably an internal power struggle, so North Korea needs to up the external trolling.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2015, 01:58:37 AM »

Not if we launch a massive planned pre-emptive strike against all of the DPRK's nuclear, border defense, missile forces, air force, radar sites, command & control centers and radar/SAM sites.

We should've launched pre-emptive strikes against North Korea's nuclear program before it became truly operational (Iran is a different scenario and can't be compared).

China will not go to war with the USA for something like this. If anything they will intervene to dismantle the regime themselves in the northern parts of the country (good buffer zone for refugees/POW's). They know this had to happen at some point and will reach a fair accommodation with the USA/ROK. Probably something like North Korea gets integrated into the Republic of Korea and American/"Western" forces leave the peninsula in due time.

It sounds bad but I really do think that in North Korea there would be no major post-war insurgency and we would be welcomed as liberators. One kick in the door and the whole rotten structure will collapse (I know, I know, but it's true).

Nobody is talking about China helping North Korea.

For the rest: See dead0mans post.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2015, 12:40:44 PM »

North Korea apologizes, regrets its use of force, and has struck a compromise with South Korea to de-esclalate.
Beezer

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2015, 02:11:01 PM »

When was the last time the North apologized for anything?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies